Quinoa recipes needed

Options
Today I bought a pound of quinoa from the local food co-op because I heard that it's supposed to be some kind of wonder food, especially for dieters. (Filling, healthy, and chock full of protein.) The only problem is that I've only ever cooked quinoa once - 15 years ago. I need recipes.

Suggestions?

Replies

• AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    "like" QUINOA CORPORATION on facebook
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I made this for the first time, and I'm actually eating it right now! Very yummy, and a little spicy. maybe a tad too much cilantro, next time I'm going to make it with less.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page
  • zMuffin
    Options
    You can make quinoa patties.

http://livewellnetwork.com/Best-Recipes-Ever/recipes/Quinoa-Cakes-with-Lemon-Yogurt-Sauce/8883771?pid=8883794

Had it for lunch today. Yummy. Also thought of making stuffed bell peppers with quinoa.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    OpT1:QUINOA MEAL:
    cook quinoa , add garlic, olive oil, pinch of sea salt, onions and black beans, grilled red peppers, chilis.

OpT2: QUINOA IN SALAD:
    Chop romain lettuce, place in bowl with grilled (still warm) mushrooms lightly salted, quinoa, chickpeas, cous cous, 2tbsp of lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, olive oil, shredded carrots.

OpT3: 1/2 cp of basmati rice + 1/2 cp of Cous cous+ 1/2 cp of Quinoa (cook and serve with meat or grilled veggies-hot or cold+ add seasoning and fresh herbs like basil, parsely, lemon, fennel, paprika, thyme, sesame, sesame oil*,
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Tomato quinoa "risotto":

Sautee one cup of onions and two tbsps of garlic in about two tbsp of olive oil.

Add one cup of quinoa and coat with the oil.

Add two cups of low sodium chicken broth

Add one can of tomato sauce

Add salt and pepper to taste (you can also add oregano and chili flakes for an extra kick!)

Once the quinoa is mostly cooked, I add in spinach that will wilt down and half a cup of parmesan cheese.

This makes about 3-4 servings (which also makes for a great lunch to take with you the next day! Sometimes I just cook up a batch so I have a ready-made lunch for a couple of days).

Happy eating!

~Allison
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Rinse one cup in lukewarm water for at least a minute.

Dice 8 sundried tomatoes (not in oil), 1 garlic clove, and 2 shallots. Saute in a saucepan with a teeny bit of olive oil. Add 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock (or vegetable) and heat until boiling. Add quinoa and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Once it boils again, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes. (From Tosca Reno's clean eating cookbook)

We had this tonight and my husband named it "crack quinoa." It was delicious!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We use it in place of rice because we like it better. Whatever casserole, salad, etc you would normally make with rice just sub the quinoa and proceed as usual. We also like it cooked and treated like oatmeal for breakfast. It's very filling and sticks with me so much longer. I like it with toasted walnuts, diced cooked apples, cinnamon, a touch of sweetener and if I'm feeling decadent, a smidge of butter. I don't want to eat until late afternoon if I have that for breakfast so the calories even out. :)
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa. One way I've made it is to cook it, than I used Trader Joes chicken and apple sausages, sauteed with a peeled and sliced apple, onions, and red and yellow peppers (whatever you like is fine). Then, when chicken sausage was done and veggies soft, I put this over the cooked quinoa and its awesome! The combo of nutty quinoa with the salty sausage, then the sweet apple, is so satisfying and hits all the taste buds :)
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa a lot of different ways, but this recipe is my current favorite:
    http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/11/hearty-chicken-stew-with-butternut-squash-quinoa-recipe/
  • RJPea
    RJPea Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just had some for dinner and it was lovely!
    Half a cup of quinoa rinsed then boiled in 2.5 cups water (with a little stock) for 30 mins.
    Fry some red onions and garlic in a wee touch of olive oil.
    Mix a tin of drained tuna into the quinoa when it's finished and add some sweetcorn.
    Add the onions and garlic and a touch of mayonnaise and stir.

I thought it was ridiculously tasty and it fed both myself and my husband.
  • biolicious
    Options
    Nice ideas here.

My fav. quinoa recipe: Cook in 1 C. grains in chicken broth as directed. Add a pinch of fennel seed. Sauite 1/2 sliced nion, 1 C. green beans, and 8 oz. mushrooms in olive oil until crisp-tender. Arrange vegetables on top of cooked quinoa. Sprinkle with goat cheese.
  • Psalm17v22
    Psalm17v22 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This was what I had for dinner tonight and I really enjoyed it.
    http://plantbaseddietrecipes.com/quinoa-and-black-beans-recipe/

God bless,
    Karen
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Anything you do with rice...
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    This is my favorite quinoa recipe, ever!

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-quinoa-salad-with-basil-lemon-dressing-10000001160577/

Another favorite of mine is this stir fry:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tofu-asparagus-red-pepper-stir-fry-with-quinoa-10000000665176/

And, whenever a recipe calls for rice, I sub quinoa instead.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Off topic maybe a little...but where do you find Quinoa in the grocery store. I've looked up and down, but I can't seem to find it. Am I blind or that oblivious?
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Off topic maybe a little...but where do you find Quinoa in the grocery store. I've looked up and down, but I can't seem to find it. Am I blind or that oblivious?

At my grocer, it is by the rice, packaged rice meals, other grains, etc.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    "like" QUINOA CORPORATION on facebook

Thank You! There are a lot recipe links that sound really good!
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat...bought a box of Quinoa and had no idea what to do with it! Now I do. :)
  • Jo1een
    Jo1een Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please forgive me if she was already brought up but Wendy Polisi makes amazing Quinoa recipes and has multiple Quinoa only cookbooks. Her website is full of free recipes.

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes:

Shrimp Fried Quinoa (Serves 1)

1 tsp oil
    4.5 oz shrimp (tails removed, deveined, and chopped into bite-sized pieces. I get the precooked kind)
    1 large clove of garlic
    2 tbsp chopped shallot
    1 egg
    3 oz baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa
    juice of 1 small lemon
    1 tbsp chives or green onion
    1 tbsp soy sauce (reduced sodium if you like)

Heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot, cook until fragrant. Add mushrooms, cover and cook until soft. Add shrimp and saute until hot. Add quinoa. When quinoa is heated through make a well in the middle. Crack egg into the well (I just use the white but I've done it with the whole egg too), stir into quinoa mixture. Stir constantly until egg is cooked through. Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, chives, and soy sauce. Stir until mixed well. Enjoy!

ETA: I like to cook a cup of dry quinoa at a time. That makes about 2.5 cups of cooked, which I keep in a tupperware in the fridge. That way when I need some I just scoop out half a cup (serving size) and it lasts me several meals.