Coffee

Options
So smug ol' me has always thought that my skinny latte must have no calories, because that's why they call it skinny. Having had the shock of my life as to how heavy I have become last night, I've been going through all my habits today. Over 100 calories! And I have two a day during the week. Anyway, I'm moving to macchiato for a bit. Might be a bit wired on it though. *bounces off office walls

Replies

• Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hehee I know what you mean. But milk is still milk, even if it's skimmed! I've cut down to black coffee only now...I'm allowed a skinny capp if it's a special occasion only. :ohwell:

Trying to persuade myself that I like green tea...... *bleargh*
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    oh i know!!!!,, but it is true, if you love it, you just move your food and drink around and make it fit!
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Starbucks or coffee shop coffee is terrible really, anything that isn't black.

I'm in the UK and I notice a lot of the American members use creamer in their coffees and sometimes flavored ones. This has got to be full of crap if you ask me.

Perhaps try drinking tea or if you do like a long coffee rather than a Macciato try a Misto with Skimmed Milk. A tall Misto in Starbucks for example is 55 calories, Short is 37. It's half filter coffee and half steamed milk so milky how you like it, just not so much milk which is where the calories are coming from.

Hope this helps.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    you know what i got a coffee machne for xmas and im hooked lol have gone too skim milk though and limiting to 4 a day :( 2 of those are decaf, I just make up with exercise :)
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I know!!! I've recently switched to black coffee, and, honestly, I love it! I was drinking coffee with sweetened cream, then went down to just low fat milk, then to black. It took a couple weeks, but I'm hooked. I would suggest having it with no sweetener, only skim milk for a while. It won't save on calories, but it will help you transition. Once you're used to that, start drinking it black. Seriously, after a few weeks you'll enjoy it just as much. Good luck!
  • Squatbenchrepeat
    Options
    You burn 200 calories farting. Don't worry so much! Calories are energy - they help your body move! Dont see them as your enemy, it keeps you alive!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    MrM27 - I was having two per day....
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    If you love it... try cutting to 1 a day, and use it as a "snack"
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I always make my own coffee - with a dash of skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. It's a fraction of the calories and whilst it isn't as tasty as from a coffee shop, it does the trick and I don't feel like I'm missing out too much.
  • vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you give up everything you love, you feel deprived. Pick and choose the foods and drinks you really love and work them into your diet. You will not feel as deprived and hence you will be more likely to continue on this weight loss journey. (I am also guilty of loving coffee!)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I basically cut out coffee because I don't like it without milk and sugar, and I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    So smug ol' me has always thought that my skinny latte must have no calories, because that's why they call it skinny. Having had the shock of my life as to how heavy I have become last night, I've been going through all my habits today. Over 100 calories! And I have two a day during the week. Anyway, I'm moving to macchiato for a bit. Might be a bit wired on it though. *bounces off office walls

But you are recommended to have three servings of dairy a day for health, so even if you take this out you are just going to have to replace it with another dairy product with calories. Just make sure there are no wasted calories from added sugars/ syrup. If there are no added sugars 100 calories of skimmed milk is about 300ml or one and a half servings of dairy.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yep, the milk. But like others said...200 calories a week is not a lot. Plus milk has nutritional value to it !
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    why can't coffees and hot chocs and iced coffee be 0 calories. imagine!! the world would be a better place x
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You burn 200 calories farting. Don't worry so much! Calories are energy - they help your body move! Dont see them as your enemy, it keeps you alive!

Wow amazing advice. Personally it takes me 30 mins of cycling to burn 200 cals. And I prefer to get my energy from something nutritious where possible!

I go for a skimmed cappuccino or a filter coffee – both much lighter than a latte :o)
  • McGruber03
    Options
    I am trying to transition to unsweetened green tea, and it was NOT easy! I finally did something weird that made me love it. At the gym during a spin class, the instructor gave us all mini peppermint sticks for Christmas. I dropped mine into my hot green tea after class and it gave it a tiny hint of mint and a tiny hint of sweetness. Now I love it!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just how many beans do you actually eat in a day!?!
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a deceptive little booger... It's funny because when you go on to Starbucks nutrition website it claims that ALL sizes of their brewed black coffee are only 5 calories. I can't figure out how they came up with that... if you drink 8oz at 5 calories, then wouldn't 16oz equal 10 calories? Very misleading... When I go to a coffee shop, I always get the brewed coffee unsweetened and then add my own milk or have them steam nonfat for me... It's a treat I allow only about twice a week... otherwise I order unsweetened black tea.