Is there an app or website to track kids calories and nutrit

Options
I have a 3 & 6 year old and although I do my best to balance their food and portion size etc it would be nice to track it for a few days just out of Interest - mfp obviously won't let me due to their age lol. I am not planning to become obsessed so no shouting at me please I just want to double check what I regularly feed them

Thanks

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Why not just put their food in your log to have an idea....then make a note of the numbers before doing your own. You can backspace on the diary to do it on days when youve not logged. (or before you started) However its not a good idea to take too much notice of the numbers as their numbers should be vastly different from those of an adult and if seeing those numbers could get you hung up then I would suggest not doing it.

If they are healthy active kids within normal weight ranges then just carry on as you are, if there are problems their health visitor/paediatrician/Dr should be your first port of call.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
  • cybrkitn
    cybrkitn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the same thing. My son is 10, not that active and is almost 120 pounds. He's lost weight a few months ago but gained it back when we went to Disney the beginning of December. I took him to the doctor's yesterday for something else and briefly asked if he knew of anything on the internet that's like MyFitnessPal. The only thing he told me is that Weight Watchers has a program for kids. That's great, except we can't afford that right now. I'm looking for something like MyFitnessPal where I can keep track of his calories and any exercise he does in school and at home. But everything I'm finding is either for 13+ or 18+.
  • dsengel01
    dsengel01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It would be great if they had one. My daughter is 10 and needs to be putting on weight. She needs @ 3000 calories a day. She "thinks" she eats enough but I know she doesn't. It would be great if she could track and see for herself.
  • GulfCoastLover
    GulfCoastLover Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Agreed; we really need kid's support at myfitnesspal.com. My daughter needs to ensure she gets 20 grams of protein in the morning, to help with her ADHD, as recommended by a doctor. A tool like would help her communicate with me about that and her own desire to keep in shape with a healthy weight.

I wonder what the barriers are to prevent kids from having a sub-account for which the parent is assumes all liability?

David T.
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Spark People have a Spark Teen and a Spark Expecting Mothers site.

I personally do not like Spark but it might be a good place to start.
  • kajer983
    kajer983 Posts: 1
    Options
    My Diet Diary by (i think) medhelp, is a phone app that lets you put in any age and weight, and does basically the same thing, giving calorie goals for weight loss/gain or to mainain current weight. The look of it seems very kid friendly to me, like something they could keep up with themselves, it has you pick a little cartoon person that stays on your main screen...pretty cute! The barcode scanner never works for me, but usually can find most food when I search for them. Have only had to manually add a couple things.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. With kids its tough to figure out their TDEE. The normal calculators do not seem to work very well. I did find this site that supposedly calculates TDEE for kids.

http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • macymcclarin
    Options
    I, too, would like an app for my 10 y.o. d.d.
  • mbocooke
    Options
    Just wondering if you found a good program? My daughter is in the same boat, needs to gain some weight, but I want her to make good choices - she is a grazer who would eat all carbs if I let her! Looking for a good program to track her food intake. Thanks!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I use an online tool called the cronometer --www.cronometer.com, which tracks calories, micronutrients, and macronutrients -- more information probably than you even want or need. I use it because I am on a 1200 calorie diet,eating back exercise calories (I am a 55-year-old female and only 5'1.5"), so every calorie really has to count. I use it to make sure I am getting all of my nutrients. If your kids are picky eaters, you might also want to give them a multivitamin to stay on the safe side.
  • goofymommy75
    goofymommy75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have used My Fitness Pal for years. I love it over all others because it shows your carbs fats and proteins and the database is huge. I have a 13 year old we need to take off whites (sugars starches etc) and I got him the Kurbo app since My Fitness Pal wouldn't allow an account for a 13 year old but I'm not a fan of how it tracks foods. We've taught our son about reading labels and carbs and sugars etc he doesn't need to follow a kid chart with green yellow and red and no idea how many carbs etc. He really really needs My Fitness Pal. I agree with David above, please add in a way to include kids, like with a sub account under parents.