Gaining Weight After a Hysterectomy

angiev77
angiev77 Posts: 2
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
:cry: Has anyone out there gained weight after a hysterectomy? I am a 31 year old cancer survivor and just had a full hysterectomy and ovary removal. I have put on ten pounds since then and I am so upset! I have always had a high metabolism and been petite. I am watching what I eat and exercising but nothing seems to be working!!!!

Replies

• angiev77
    angiev77 Posts: 2
    :cry: Has anyone out there gained weight after a hysterectomy? I am a 31 year old cancer survivor and just had a full hysterectomy and ovary removal. I have put on ten pounds since then and I am so upset! I have always had a high metabolism and been petite. I am watching what I eat and exercising but nothing seems to be working!!!!
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    You'll be fine...be patient...you had the double whammy...passed the 30 year mark and had major surgery...it takes a little longer to loose weight once you pass 30...the older you get the longer it takes to loose the weight...be patient...stick with your lifestyle changes required to reach your goals.

Any weight that you've gained from surgery will subside over time...keep your eye on the prize!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    I am a survivor as well and also had a full hysterectomy and ovaries removal. How long ago was your surgery? I had a 13 pound ovarian tumor removed, and needless to say I lost about 20 pounds instantly from the removal of EVERYTHING. But then the 20 pounds came back on pretty darn fast, it was just a few months and was all back on. But since then I have lost 60, so don't worry. I gain so much as first because I had to eat more calories so that I could heal, and with all those calories I was not able to work out because of the surgery, it was 8 to 10 weeks of no work out, I also had some complications with the surgery as well.

But once I was healthy again and was able to get back to my full workout, my weight just dropped, coupled with the fact that I started counting calories and increasing my workouts.

Let me know if you have questions, it was about 4 years ago, and since then I've had another major surgery due to the complications that I had from the hysterectomy. I may be able to answer some questions that you may have. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.