3lbs in 3 days is not possible, so do the scale lie?

Options
I weigh myself twice a week always at the same time, first thing when I get up in a morning Monday's and Fridays.

According to the scales I am 3lbs lighter today than Monday!! Now I have been losing at about 2lbs a week for 26 weeks. So I expected it to be about 1lb difference.

I did over indulge over the Xmas/ New Year period, but as I was off work, so I also got out more on my bike for two hours a day (about 50km) so I was burning off a considerable amount of calories (~1000-1200 a session). Over this period I lost no weight, which I was happy with as it was party time.

So where has this 3lbs loss come from in four days?

All I can think it is either i) too much salt over Xmas so water retention and back "on the wagon this week" or ii)My stomach wasn't empty in the morning as I was eating in the evening during my Xmas weigh ins?

What do you good people of MFP think?

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My guess is water weight.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a week always at the same time, first thing when I get up in a morning Monday's and Fridays.

According to the scales I am 3lbs lighter today than Monday!! Now I have been losing at about 2lbs a week for 26 weeks. So I expected it to be about 1lb difference.

I did over indulge over the Xmas/ New Year period, but as I was off work, so I also got out more on my bike for two hours a day (about 50km) so I was burning off a considerable amount of calories (~1000-1200 a session). Over this period I lost no weight, which I was happy with as it was party time.

So where has this 3lbs loss come from in four days?

All I can think it is either i) too much salt over Xmas so water retention and back "on the wagon this week" or ii)My stomach wasn't empty in the morning as I was eating in the evening during my Xmas weigh ins?

What do you good people of MFP think?

I've done exactly the same thing - It's just water weight from the Christmas excesses.

http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too. As far as I can tell it's water retention, so if you've eaten a lot of junk (crisps, salty meals), or drunk alcohol your body will retain water.

The other thing could be the batteries are running low in your scales/Wii. That also happened to me where it looked like I'd put on 4lbs I changed the Wii's batteries and magically the 4lbs went again.

The article linked above is very useful and easy to understand - thank you.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    First of all it is possible. :)

It's probably water weight, or perhaps you didn't stand on the scale in the same place you usually do, or perhaps a lot of things. I find the only way to know if the change is actually in a good foundation is to wait until the next week and see what happens.

Now, come on... even if you didn't believe it was a solid loss, it was good to see a new low number, wasn't it?
  • FeatherontheWind
    FeatherontheWind Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I'm new here at FMP, but...for me...long story short...It turned out to be water weight. Like someone told me...at least it wasn't a gain.:smile:
    Have a great day!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My scales lie to me all the time.

When I weigh in I have to weigh myself about 5 times and take the average of what they tell me. They will fluctuate by over a pound within seconds of me stepping off the scales.

Maybe I should invest in new scales, but I quite enjoy the joke of it all....
  • BigG59
    BigG59 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Now, come on... even if you didn't believe it was a solid loss, it was good to see a new low number, wasn't it?
    It was good after ten days of no movement, yes. In fact my wife asked what I was smiling at when I came out of the bathroom :)

Glad others are thinking same.

I hadn't considered the batteries in the scale though. They do have a low battery indicator which is not on but they haven't been changed since I bought the scales back in August.
    My scales lie to me all the time.

I like this comment too :)
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    My body does all sorts to me: I put on weight within a day and I lose weight in a day so I decided just to weigh myself once a week to avoid feeling depressed about putting on weight.
  • BigG59
    Options

Thank you for this, a really interesting article.

Having read this, I understand exactly what has happened. What a great article
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate by as much as 5lbs in a day, which is exactly why I DO weigh myself everyday. If I only weighed myself once a week and that day happened to be a weird heavy day, I'd jack in the routine and clean out the fridge into my mouth.

My advice is to use the numbers as a guide, not a literal evaluation. :-)
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's very possible!

Back when I was 250 pounds, some weeks I'd lose a pound a day! It never ever came back. Even now, I'll be stuck at a certain weight for a week or two then drop 3-4 pounds within a coule days.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It IS possible to lose 3 pounds in 3 days....also can gain 3 in 3 too. Just GO with it and be happy!!
    I too weigh everyday BUT I only log once a week on Friday morning----regardless of the loss or gain I live with whatever the scale says on Friday morning. Good Luck.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    "Traditional" Scales have fluctuations that can be changed by temperature (as essentially they are a spring that moves a wheel) which is why all old timey scales have a adjustment wheel.

Digital scales use something called a load-cell, and they auto-calibrate their 0 reading when turned on. so the difference between a bathroom that is warm and steamy from a shower can be quite significant compared to a bathroom that has been cold all night on either ancient or modern scales.

if you weigh yourself at different times then your body can be responsible for some of that fluctuation, I tend to do it first thing when I wake up after going to pee. Although this is not too accurate either since food takes up to 24 hours to pass through so a large dinner can still be inside you and add to your weight, (even if its low-cal and low fat so its not going to hang around in your body for much longer you could have a pound of food waiting to be pooped out. )
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't lie (unless it's faulty), but what it measures is the weight of your whole body - not just the fat - and a lot of it is very variable. With your different intakes of food, and different exercise pattern over the holidays, your weight is bound to be fluctuating. More carbs makes you retain water, more sodium makes you retain water, more exercise makes you retain water. More food/waste in your system will add more weight. Going back to normal is bound to make you drop some weight.

Even apart from the influence of the holiday season, weight loss is not linear. I usually lose like that. Nothing for weeks, and then a sudden drop of a few pounds.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Wow. I never think of myself as a slave to the scale... but truthfully, that article was SO helpful and really saved my mood today!! Thank you for posting it :)
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates due to all sorts of factors. My fasting morning weight stays within a 2-pound range, but, when I was heavier, it was more like a 5-pound range. I weigh myself every day, but I pay attention to trends and averages, not the daily fluctuations.

I have twice lost 4 pounds in a day and not had it just be a fluctuation. Both times, I was sick with a fever and no appetite. I know some of that loss was water weight, but fever also burns a lot of calories. By the time I'd recovered enough to resume normal eating, that 4 pounds was well and truly gone.
  • BigG59
    Options
    Thank You everyone for taking the time to respond. I appreciate all your input.

As I mentioned I only weigh myself twice a week (and that is probably once too many), always at the same time of day.

I had an idea what the answer was before posting but wanted to see if I was on the right track. My opinion now is that my initial thoughts are confirmed - water retention, but, the cause was not what I was thinking.

Many Thanks everyone.