I am breastfeeding. More calories?

Options
Myfitnesspal say I need about 1500kcal/day, but I haven't found a "breastfeeding" box to tick. My baby is two months old. Shall I increase my daily intake a little? I don't want to lose weight too fast while breastfeeding as I heard that the toxins stored in body fat are released in breastmilk.
Thank you.

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    If you search 'breastfeeding' as a food (yes, weird, I know!) it gives you a number of calorie options that will add exercise calories for you.
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt go too low while breastfeeding , your baby will be taking alot of calories every time he/she feeds , my daughter fed her baby and lost lots of weight without being on a diet just 3 months ago ....
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't worry chervil, I'm done with starvation diets, they made me obese...
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You can count breast feeding as exercise. Just to be safe (keep your milk production) I'd log it then eat back those calories. You'll still lose weight :)
  • Liadora11
    Options
    I don't know if recommendations vary from country to country but here (Sweden) it's recommended to consume 200 extra calories per day when BFing. Gratz on the new baby too :)
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've heard anywhere from 300-500 calories a day for breastfeeding. But it really depends on how much and how often you are nursing. If your baby is exclusively nursing, I might go towards the higher end. If you're supplementing, I might move towards the lower end. I added in an additional 500 when I nursed and then as mine got older and started eating solids, I decreased that amount.
  • kaysch2
    Options
    I treid to enter this for myself as I am breastfeeding and I am not finding where you can add it to get extra calories. A little help would be great! Thank you! :smile:
  • sdonhowe
    Options
    I created a Cardiovascular exercise for myself and called it "breastfeeding" I log "240 minutes a day which ends up being roughly 300 calories. The calories burned has reduced a bit as I've lost weight, but it's stayed right around 300. By adding this "exercise" every day I make sure to still consume enough calories and I've had great luck with it.