Help for overweight beginning runner

Options
So about 10 years ago I lost 50 pounds because I ran (granted not fast- about 11 minute miles). The most I ran was about 4 miles. I HATED running, but LOVED the result. How can I ease back into running now that I have gained back the weight and more. I weigh about 217 and have NO endurance whatsoever (never did even when running). Any suggestions as to how to get back into running so that it is enjoyable? I did the couch25K last time. Thanks for any running tips !!

Replies

• BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Walk or jog. But after you lift. Educate yourself about body recomposition and not just mere fat loss.
  • lese1030
    lese1030 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is a very good program to start. Alternate your running and walking until you are able to run nonstop again. Hope that helps!
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Start C25K again - you can do it! You'll be back into it before you know it.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Ditto the others, you can do the program C25K again or simply start walking/jogging intervals, but incorporate some weight training too
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I tried to run lots, but it felt like it took forever to get my endurance up! And my shins killed me. It wasn't enjoyable for me at all. So I did Jillian michaels 30 day shred instead. That got my cardio up soo much! Now I love to run! I almost felt too heavy before, and couldn't run for more than 2 minutes at a time. But after I got my cardio up, it felt awesome to run!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Walk or jog. But after you lift. Educate yourself about body recomposition and not just mere fat loss.
    ^^^^^^
    THIS
    When I began running, I took it mail box to mail box, then walk a bit...jog some more...stop...walk....and on and on...
    And I'd remember which mail box I stopped for the last time.
    How many mail boxes can I make this time? And once I stop, I walk 2 mail boxes and jog 5....
    Soon, I was up to 4 miles non-stop.
    It took me 3 months, and I was setting no speed records, but I was there.
    You can do it, but take it slow and easy.
    GOOD LUCK :drinker:
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest C25k but you've already tried it. Perhaps you could find some C25k podcasts that have music but also tell you when to walk or run. I found it made it easier to not get bored. I actually enjoyed running once I got to the point where I could run for 15-20mins.

Do you have a friend you could run with? That used to help keep me motivated too.

Some people like apps like Zombie run to make it more interesting, or use apps that record the route, speed etc so you can compare your runs with previous ones to help keep you motivated.

If you really hate running, is there something else you could do instead?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    When you started c25k did you go into it crazy and run fast? If so, do it over again and jog as slow as you can. I had read that if you can jog slower, you are going too fast. It's easy to get burnt out if you absolutely hate your exercise routine. If you at least somewhat enjoy it, you are more likely to do it again.

I did it slowly and now I can jog for miles and am even running a few miles now and then. I don't even get out of breath after 5 miles. A year ago, I was out of breath if I WALKED 20 feet. I actually jog at 3.5 to 4mph!! I know it's super slow and I can walk at those speeds also, but according my my HRM, I burn a LOT more calories jogging slowly than I do while walking fast. Once I finish the 5k to 10k bridge, I'll add speed.. as long as I still enjoy it. At least I'm doing more than I was before.. sitting on the couch!
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    When you started c25k did you go into it crazy and run fast? If so, do it over again and jog as slow as you can. I had read that if you can jog slower, you are going too fast. It's easy to get burnt out if you absolutely hate your exercise routine. If you at least somewhat enjoy it, you are more likely to do it again.

I did it slowly and now I can jog for miles and am even running a few miles now and then. I don't even get out of breath after 5 miles. A year ago, I was out of breath if I WALKED 20 feet. I actually jog at 3.5 to 4mph!! I know it's super slow and I can walk at those speeds also, but according my my HRM, I burn a LOT more calories jogging slowly than I do while walking fast. Once I finish the 5k to 10k bridge, I'll add speed.. as long as I still enjoy it. At least I'm doing more than I was before.. sitting on the couch!

**Exactly- that is the way I feel- at least I am doing more than I did before!