Should I eat the calories burned or ignor them?

Options
Hi Folks:

I'm a nubie, just started 4 weeks ago and I'm down 5 pounds. I checked back about 8 pages and I didn't see this question covered off. I've been riding a sationary bike and walking, I've been generally burning about 500 calories a day. Should I be eating these calories or ignoring them? Some guidance would be appreciated.

Part 2, based on a number of posts, I should be mixing in weight training. I'm prepared to go purchase some dumb bells and stretchy bans, where can I find beginer home workouts for a guy that's never lifted weights to any degree?

Sorry if my questions are redundant, but I would appreciate any and all advice.

JP

Replies

• 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You'll get a lot of personal opinions on this.

Personally, I don't eat back my exercise calories. Seems pointless to me to sweat out those calories and then just eat it all back?? I mean if you're only eating 1600 calories a day and burning 1000, maybe you should eat some back. I eat 1300-1400 and only burn around 200-300 a day. I've lost 87 pounds and only 5 more to go so it's worked for me, but everyone's different.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yep, you will get a ton of mixed opinions on this so enjoy reading ;)
    For me, I eat back some of my calories the reason being I find myself unbelievably hungry and feeling weak during my exercise if I don't do this. For instance, I ran 7 miles the other day burning over 700 calories so if I only had eaten 1500 calories, I would be at 800 calories. The way I see it, I need to eat some back so I will have energy for Body COmbat the next day. I lost 30 lbs doing this so it worked for me.
    As far as the weights--definitely a great idea and it's so good for you. There is so much out there that will help you learn what to do, but the key is to work with someone (even just 1-2 times) that can demonstrate good form/technique if you are new to it.
    Good luck!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I usually eat quite a lot of my exercise calories, and doing that I find that I am never hungry. I'm achieving roughly 1lb a week weightloss which would be from diet and increased metabolism through exercise, and patience is certainly the key for me. If I've done a session where i've burned quite a large amount of calories, I usually find it impossible to eat them. But I usually compensate for this the follwing day with a little bit extra of something. :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm a nubie, just started 4 weeks ago and I'm down 5 pounds. I checked back about 8 pages and I didn't see this question covered off. I've been riding a sationary bike and walking, I've been generally burning about 500 calories a day. Should I be eating these calories or ignoring them? Some guidance would be appreciated.
    Believe it or not, there actually is some science/reason involved here. Contrary to many of the posts you'll see, it's not simply about personal preference.

When you calculated your daily calorie goal, there was probably some kind of activity or lifestyle question. If you included for your exercise in that setting, then no, you don't need to be eating them back as those cals are already accounted for. If you didn't include them, or if the calculator didn't use an activity level, then yes you should be eating back the cals you burn during exercise.
  • jprocks1966
    jprocks1966 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for thefeedback. Has anyone tried the workout Core Performance Essentials by Mark Verstegen? If so, can you let me know your thoughts.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My opinion is you need fuel to power the machine. Too much of a calorie deficit (even if from working out) will leave your body starving for food and you won't be performing up to your potential. I know as I am guilty as charged.

Working muscle burns fat. You want to do upper and lower as your body will respond better and studies have shown an increase in growth hormones when lower body exercises were coupled with upper. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn at rest.

Now I was on the road for work a bit, living in hotels. I went to Wal Mart and bought the Gold's Gym resistance tube set with DVD included. It's an excellent sweat producing workout. Cost me less than $30.