Looking for Half Marathon advice?

Options
Hi all,

So I'm booked in to run my first Half Marathon on March 17th. I started out with Couch to 5k in March time last year, and completed my first 5k for Cancer Research in the July. Since then I've run most weeks but had a few weeks off here and there due to holidays/other commitments etc. I run with my running partner and normally get out 2-3 times a week. We had a 3 week break in the lead up to Christmas but have been out over the last week a few times and easily manage a 5k "round the block including hills". During our last long run we clocked up 6.77 miles in 1hr 40mins which we were really pleased with.

Now the aim is 1) to finish the Half Marathon! 2) to not die and 3) come in under 3hrs if possible.

So what I'm asking is this... do you think that 2 or 3 weekday runs that are 5-8k in addition to a longer run each weekend where we push the distance up, is the best way to go? I was thinking about trying to up the long distance run by half a mile a week? We both have a lot of commitments (family/work etc) so it's hard to get out 4 times a week at the most.

Also any tips from those who have run one before would be greatly appreciated as it's all a big unknown at the moment! Many thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfect to me. 3-4 runs a week should be enough. I used the hal higdon novice half programme for my first half, and that gave me the confidence I was 'doing it right'. You might want to check it (or other similar programmes) out. Runnersworld has several pre-written half marathon programmes, and you can also get it to design one for you, if you have a subscription.

Good luck!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon after completing c25k and a 5k race.. I trained using Hal Higdon's novice half marathon trainer. I'd suggest you start there. At the time, I was new to running and averaging a 12 min/mile.. and ran the half marathon in 2:30:06. It's very doable. Good luck!
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a pretty reasonable plan to me. I know runners who go 6 days a week. I never run more than 4,and usually only 3.

Runkeeper has a 16 week "finish a half marathon" plan. You can do these from an app on your smartphone

http://runkeeper.com/fitness-class/running-half-marathon/20
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think you have enough time if you start training now. I'd pull a program like Hal Higdon's novice half marathon training plan. Are you cross training on the other days? I think you need to run 3 days a week (although 4 is better)...but if you do the two runs during the week and then your long run on the weekend, you should be fine.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just did my 2nd half marathon in December and I am registered for another in March. I think you can definitely do it with running 3 to 4 days a week. Check out some of the half-marathon training programs that are similar to the C25K that you did. I use the one on FitSugar.com but there are lots of different plans out there. Most give you a daily mileage goal (and rest days/cross training days) and a weekly goal that slowly steps up the distance. I'm not perfect with sticking too it but I usually try to get the mileage in if I can. A rule of thumb I've always heard is to keep your distance increases to no more than 10% of the previous distance - otherwise you risk injury.

Good luck on this! Feel free to add me if you want. I'm always looking for more running buddies. You're gonna rock that half marathon!
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's good to hear that I'm on the right track! The training app a lot of you have mentioned sounds good - I shall have to have a look and see what it' all about.

At the moment I tend to do a lot of walking on my non-running days though as hubby's just got a new workbench I've been tempted to add in some strength training on my off days.

We're also planning on our long runs to take a different bit of the course each week so we get used to the route and inclines!

It's crazy to think I couldn't run 30 seconds less than a year ago and now I'm here doing a HM... mad lol.

Feel free to FR me if you're in a similar boat and fancy motivating each other. :flowerforyou:
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been running for just a year now. I did my first half marathon in July (had been running 6 months then), using Hal Higdon novice 2 training program. I finished the half marathon in 1:53:53. I am now training for another half which will be in febuary. I am using the Hal Higdon intermediate training program. I am hoping to improve to 1:50 or better, but will see how it goes. Currently, I am running 4 times a week and also doing body attack and bodypump at the gym a few times a week. Good luck with your half.
  • niknak2308
    Options
    Wow this Hal Higdon really seems to be popular! I'll definitely have a look as you can't all be wrong lol :)

Any tips regarding the actual race day? I'm worried about starting too fast, and getting 3/4s of the way through and struggling so much I give up :( (I know I won't as I'll walk it if need be but I would like to run/jog it all really).
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I usef HH Novice for my first 20k and had good luck. My advive for race day is to watch your pace and not start out to fast. You can always pick up your pace later if you feel good. You first is always a PR so need to push it. Nothing too heavy the night before.
  • niknak2308
    Options
    Yes I heard about tapering off the week before the actual race - I'm guessing a couple of shorter ones at the beginning of the week and then a couple of days before the race, rest?
  • Gemalar
    Gemalar Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ill be doing a half again this year....my 4th, this is the training plan I followed for each, hope it helps
    http://www.sheffieldmarathon.com/info/training/
  • swik23
    swik23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon last March and ran 3 to 4 days a week. I always used Sundays as my long run day. I used a novice plan for beginners and finished in 2:26. I printed out a basic calendar and wrote out my training plan. You will need to start your plan soon because I am planning on running a 1/2 March 23d and I have 4 miles scheduled for Sunday. I am following the Novice 2 plan of Hal Higdons. I thought I could never do it, but I did. Just take one run at a time. The most I ran was 11 miles before my half and I finished with no problem.