I worry about my son's weight.

Options
I have three children. My daughter is 15 and 120 pounds tops. My oldest son is 13 and 75 pounds. Both of them are in a healthy range. My youngest son is 10 and 110 pounds. I am really starting to worry about him. We all eat the same stuff at dinner time. He even eats less than his brother and sister but he is still very over weight. I don't want to just come out and say he is fat because it is really going to hurt his feelings. Has anyone else dealt with this with one of the children? If so how did you bring it up or encourage better habits. Tomorrow I am going to try to get him to exercise with me. He is not the most motivated child though. It might be a difficult task. I would greatly appreciate any tips or tricks that you have used on your own children that worked. Their father is a big guy and obviously I am overweight or I wouldn't be here. I don't want him to suffer the same fate we both have all our lives.

Replies

• ajs03
    ajs03 Posts: 32
    Options
    I think trying to get him to exercise with you is a good idea. Do you have a Wii or xBox Kinect system? If you do maybe you 2 could "play games" together. It isn't high intensity, but if he isn't doing anything now it is a start. I know my kids like to beat the parents in scores or their siblings - just an idea. Best of luck to both you and your son.
  • Skellingtonx
    Skellingtonx Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would try an get him like to play games like Ajs02 suggested. I was pretty active as a kid, but I was still a chunky child. To be honest I wish my parents and family would have made me do more to keep healthy. In the long run they will thank you, it might be a fight to get him to do it, but make exercise fun. Even if its for a walk or a bike ride around the block.