Spin class and dizziness, anyone else?

Options
I took a spin class for the first time this week, and it kicked my butt. But, about 1/2 way through I got really dizzy. So dizzy that I had to stop for a couple of minutes twice!

Has anyone else experienced this and did it improve with time?

It is possible that I need to build my endurance more. I had a baby 3 mos ago and I'm still trying to get back into a steady routine. But, I've been walking, doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian, etc. So, I'm not a stranger to cardio.

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    It's most likely exercise induced nausea. It's a common phenomenon because of the strain your body goes through during vigorous exercise.

It can be caused by dehydration, but there are a lot of other possible factors. I experience it a LOT during intense cardio which is why my Insanity workouts are going to be horrible for me.

I plan to try to drink more water during, hoping it will help.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Maybe you misinterpreted what a 'spin' class is? It would explain the dizziness, definitely.
  • jeanmariemcp
    jeanmariemcp Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Maybe you misinterpreted what a 'spin' class is? It would explain the dizziness, definitely.

HAHAHAHA!

If you get dizzy during spin DON'T stop completely or you could faint. Just sit, turn the tension down and pedal slower.
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    lol!
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough salt along with that water...
  • peilover010202
    peilover010202 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHA!

If you get dizzy during spin DON'T stop completely or you could faint. Just sit, turn the tension down and pedal slower.

I tried to not stop. I slowed way down, and it kept getting worse. I seriously thought I would faint right there. I got off and put my head between my knees the first time. The second time, I stopped momentarily, then resumed at a very slow pace.
  • Katiean30
    Options
    I spin and its prob u pushing your body to the max, best thing is not to stop just slow the pace and lower the dial back to biting point, make sure you drink plenty before,during and after class,also try a snack about an hour before eg a banana, keep at it tho its worked wonders for my fitness levels.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are usually two things that can cause those feelings. One is when blood sugar drops, and two is if you become fatigued/overheated to the point that blood flow is diverted to the capillaries in the skin. You have a lot more blood vessel capacity than actual blood, so the body is constantly shunting blood flow in the body. During exercise, blood flow is restricted in a lot of areas so that the flow can be directed (and increased) to the working muscles. If you become fatigued or overheated, the body sometimes cannot maintain the "restrictions" and blood flows into areas that are normally "shut down". The result is a noticeable drop in pressure and the symptoms you describe. Maybe you pushed yourself too hard (easy to do in a spin class). It's usually a transient effect. One way to avoid it is to pace yourself at the start of the class, but as you improve endurance, it should not be an issue--in fact, it might not ever happen again.
  • kitterkat84
    Options
    Hello there! OP, did you ever find the solution to your problem? I am very passionate about spinning. I was spinning twice a week, now these dizzy spells have me at spinning 4 times a month, if I am lucky! I have had cardiograms, hearing tests, etc done, no answer yet. I hope you are doing well and can help me shed some light on the issue. One thought was maybe the loud music is messing with my ears. I am thinking of bring pedialyte to my next class and see if having the extra mineral replenishment will help.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are well hydrated. Drink a tall glass of water about 1-2 hours before you go. Bring a bottle of water and finish that bottle during the hour of class.