Cross Training for Half Marathon

Options
Hi everyone,

So I am training for a half marathon in the fall. If I complete the training early enough (12 week training ends in the end of March) Then I may just attempt a half marathon before fall. Anyhow, I was thinking about taking up a spin class once a week and thought it might be beneficial for training different parts of my legs. I thought it would be good for building up endurance? Right now, the longest run I'm doing is 5miles. So any of you guys that have done a half or a full marathon, do you guys recommend spinning? I understand that swimming is an excellent way to cross train but I have no way to get a pool in 9 degree weather and there is only one place with a pool and it's pretty scary.

Thanks!

Replies

• algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yeah, actually, cycling is a great cross train for running. During the warmer months, I like to do my long run on Saturday then ride on Sunday, with Friday and Monday being my rest days. I made my biggest gains with this training routine.
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    And since swimming is not an option, just look at weight training for upper body. It is surprising the difference shoulder and arm fatigue make when running longer distances.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I find that just running gives me backache. I like to try and fit in either one or two sessions with a fitness dvd - such as Shred or Ripped in 30. It keeps the abs strong- which helps with my lower back. Also strengthens parts of the legs that running doesn't use.

But I think spinning/cycling in general would be a good mix too.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did a half last year and during training my time improved when I added gym cycling to my weekly routine, so spinning will be ace too! If you can I'd also work on body weight lunges and squats, really helped my running and injury prevention.
  • lese1030
    lese1030 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Spinning would definitely be ok! Also, one of my "sole" sisters told me that lifting weights helped her tremendously when she was training for her half. I also agree with algebravoodoo. Make your long runs on Sat. Increase one mile a week on that day and you will be well on your way to a successful first half marathon!
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump! just signed up for my first half in October!
  • stephanie_penrose
    Options
    Spinning is a great cross training option. I did it when I was training for my first marathon. It gives your legs a break from the constant pounding but works different muscles in the butt/legs.

Definitely keep strength training your arms and legs too. It's good to keep your upper body strong because it helps maintain your form when you get fatigued during the race. Squats help make your quads and hamstrings stronger too which helps keep your knees aligned.

As for the schedule, I usually up my mileage by 2 miles per week, but a few of the long runs were doubled (I did the 10 mile run two weeks in a row and the 12 miler three weeks in a row). I was also taught to do my longest runs on the same day of the week that the race is on so that your body is used to the schedule.

PS: If you stay on schedule you would totally be ready for May 5th....Just sayin :)
  • algebravoodoo
    Options
    Spinning is a great cross training option. I did it when I was training for my first marathon. It gives your legs a break from the constant pounding but works different muscles in the butt/legs.

Definitely keep strength training your arms and legs too. It's good to keep your upper body strong because it helps maintain your form when you get fatigued during the race. Squats help make your quads and hamstrings stronger too which helps keep your knees aligned.

As for the schedule, I usually up my mileage by 2 miles per week, but a few of the long runs were doubled (I did the 10 mile run two weeks in a row and the 12 miler three weeks in a row). I was also taught to do my longest runs on the same day of the week that the race is on so that your body is used to the schedule.

PS: If you stay on schedule you would totally be ready for May 5th....Just sayin :)

Yes, the squats are great! I can really feel the difference in my running form after just a couple of weeks of consistant work. It *almost* feels effortless to maintain form over a distance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i second the cycling. do that.

and if you can start hitting the pool, i do that to.

and then one day you'll realize that you are swimming, cycling and running... and they have races that incorporate all three of those.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you should cross train at least two days a week while training for a half marathon - do two runs during the week, in addition to one long run..... ((You'll need to drastically up your mileage though if you're only at 5 -- do a couple weeks at 5 mi, a couple weeks at 6 mi, and add a mile each week up to 12 and you'll be good to go)) -- I trained for a half marathon last fall, did my first one on nov 10th and loved it so much did a second on 12/9. Now I'm starting up training for a half again - just because I like the long group runs, but I'm not planning on doing another half until next fall/winter - I'm using this training as a jump start on training for tribal quest.
    cross training is anything that isn't running - cycle/spin, yoga/pitaiyo/pilates, combat, strength training, elliptical, whatever you want. I've heard that runners are made in the pool - so swimming is a great addition to you training regime too.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone above. Any non-weightbearing cross-training is great, cycling and swimming especially. I run 3-4x per week, cycle 1-2x and swim 1-2x. I also lift upper body 1-2x. I used to weight train lower body but found I was getting too tight and sore when I was training for a marathon. My new routine leaves me feeling much stronger and rested on my off days.

Good luck with your race. My biggest tip would be to not increase your mileage too much week to week. Follow a good training plan (adding about 1 mile a week to your long run) and you will arrive at the start line prepared and the finish line healthy and ready to go again!
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yup, I already lift weights right now. Will start doing some lunges and squats. On my rest days, I try to walk 30 minutes - 1 hour a day on the treadmill to stretch out my legs. My training is 4 days a week. Usually 3 miles a day, and then on Saturday's is my longest run. I am on my 2nd week of training. This week is 5 mile run. I increase each week by 1 mile. It is a 12 week program. I've done a 5k already. I just started running in September so that is why my longest run is only at 5 miles. Slow and steady wins the race everyone says :)
  • pauline251
    pauline251 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a half marathon. I run about 3-4 X per week. I also do Les mills Body attack and bodypump, both 2-3 times per week. Bodyattack is quite hard on the legs, but i really enjoy it. I do try to have 1 day off per week.