Just started working out. Knee pain. HELP

Options
I've just recently started working out, after not working out at all in the last couple of years. I'm overweight, and am trying to lose about 50-70lbs. The company I work for decided to get all of the employees a gym membership. I figured what better way to lose weight than to start going to the gym. For the past 3 weeks, I have been going to the gym and using the treadmill. M-F I hop on the treadmill at a 2.5mph pace, 7" incline and walk 3miles in about 1hr and 15min. For the past week, I've started having this very mild pain right above my right kneecap. I can totally walk, I don't feel like IM going to fall down or anything. Is this something I could still continue to work out on? Will this pain eventually go away? When I walk about, it feels alright, if I put massive pressure on it I do feel it.
HELLLLLLP

Replies

• balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    7% grade is a little steep for just starting out. You'll know if it's too much if 1) you need to hold on to the hand rails and/or 2) knee pain.

Consider lowering the incline to 1-2% for a week or so and see how it feels, then gradually work back up. Mix it up with a bike, if you have access to one. Biking will gently strengthen the muscles around your knee.
  • PapaPolarBear
    Options
    if the pain's not too bad you should be ok, but you should probably see your doctor to make sure. If you're super worried about it try using the elliptical, there's no impact on the knees then. But I highly recomend seeing your doctor, if you injure yourself you won't be able to exercise at all anymore.
  • jclemens
    jclemens Posts: 7
    Options
    Do spin classes or ride the recumbent bike. There is no stress on your knees when you bike. Then when you are lighter try the treadmill, or only do it once a week till you lose the weight--but the other times 2 or 3 times a week--ride the bike.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I had same thing when I started at the gym (even tho I had been doing workout video at home) but I would say try add some weight lifting es-play for your legs. You can't strengthen your knee but you can built up the muscle around it. And that should help.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Mine does the same thing, even when I was 30 lbs smaller it would bother me. I always find it helpful to use a knee brace and if I take a low dose (200mg) of ibuprofen before I work out it usually doesn't hurt at all. I assume it has something to do with my joints swelling, but I've never gotten a professional opinion on that.
  • melissalynnlarue
    melissalynnlarue Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have a torn meniscus in my left knee - not saying that's what you have at all! - however, I've found that while biking actually made my knee hurt worse, using the elliptical or going swimming were almost pain-free activities.

Now that I've lost about 30 lbs and have strengthened my legs, I hardly have any issues any more, and can even run 5 miles pain-free.

Hang in there - find what works for you, but don't give up!!!
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    First, that is wonderful hat your company recognizes the benefits of exercise. And wonderful that you are using the opportunity to your advantage!

I would suggest bringing down the incline a little for the time being and incorporating some strength training to strengthen the muscles around the knee. I have had knee issues since I was a child and the strength training really helps. Don't start off with too much, though. Ease into it and most importantly make sure you are using correct form or you risk really hurting your knees.

Three times a week, add strength training to your gym time. Do this by either taking on time at the gym if you can or shorten your treadmill work to 45 minutes or an hour and use the rest of the time to do strength training. Work upper body one day and lower body two of the days. It could look like Monday - lower body, Tuesday or Wednesday - upper body, Thursday - lower body. Make sure you have 2 days between lower body workouts to allow sufficient heal/repair time.

Great excercises for the lower body to help strenghten muscles around the knee are leg extensions (I find doing one leg at a time is easier on my knees and is a more even workout for both legs), squats/wall sits with or without weights, lying hamstring curls, hip abductor and adductor and even calf raises. Step ups and lunges are also helpful but can be hard on the knee so those may be better used once you get your knee a bit more strenghtened. Believe it or not muscles from just about every part of your leg plays a role in the stability of the knee.

Also, make sure you stretch adequately to keep the knee muscles limber.
  • gilliani
    gilliani Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Jilliam,
    this happened to me too when I first started exercising- it went on for a few week gradually getting more painful until it stopped me from excercising as it became too painful. I ended up at the doctors getting cortisone injections and its now completely fine (and was after just a couple of days!) If it isn't better soon I'd recommend going to the doctor as I wish I'd gone sooner as its never bothered me since getting the injections- I think it was the cartelidge (spelling?) between the knee joint had thinned giving me pain when bending/walking on an incline. Hope this helps and you are on the mend very soon. :happy:
  • jflad
    jflad Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you ever tried an orthotic in your sneakers? I have had knee pain all my life with exercise or even prolonged walking due to flat feet. A simple insert from Dr. Scholl's fixes everything! Try their knee pain relief insert.
  • kurtybee
    kurtybee Posts: 17
    Options
    Even though you are not going fast most knee pain comes from the weight. Your hips, knees, and ankles are all joints that are carring the weight of your entire body. The biggest mistake people make is doing too much too soon. I think that you are trying to do way too much too soon. You should dial back your excerising. If I were you I would work our every other day. I would also walk for 30 min at a faster pace like 3.0 or 3.5. It will make your workouts more effective and you will have to spend less time on that treadmill. That way your joints will have time to recover. I have knee problems as well and I run monday wednesday and friday. When I get below 200 I will try running 4 times a week. You have to know your body and knee pain is nothing to take very lightly. Everyone feels that losing weight is a race. It is a marathon that takes time and effort. When you do too much too soon like what you are doing you are risking injury and frustration. Keep it going just slow down a bit.