anyone a lawyer? need legal advice

Options
2»

Replies

• TJLakewood
    Options
    I definately understand that. However it's a guaranteed way to get your money. I didn't know this until I met a guy who was on Judge Judy... when he won the suit, the program pays for the defendant. I'm not sure if the defendant has to pay them back or not, but he was guaranteed his money just by winning.

The newspaper thing just might put a buzz in their ear though if that's the only choice you have... or if it's principle over the money. However if you want or need the money, then my opinion is try and get the money. Sorry to hear about this inconvenience in your life.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My sister is almost done with a small claims suit she filed two years ago this September. She did not get a lawyer. The clerk has been VERY helpful to her. My sister has filed garnishment papers to get her money back, but it was from an individual not a business.

Unless your state or county mandates a lawyer, I would forgo one. You've got a lot of good info from here, and if you have more questions, you can always post again!

Good luck getting your money!
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I definately understand that. However it's a guaranteed way to get your money. I didn't know this until I met a guy who was on Judge Judy... when he won the suit, the program pays for the defendant. I'm not sure if the defendant has to pay them back or not, but he was guaranteed his money just by winning.

The newspaper thing just might put a buzz in their ear though if that's the only choice you have... or if it's principle over the money. However if you want or need the money, then my opinion is try and get the money. Sorry to hear about this inconvenience in your life.

The producers also scan for things that might be interesting. I don't know how they did it but they found out about our local 4-H suing an auction winner and contacted the plantiff (leader of that 4-H club I think?). We live in a, until recently unkown, rural county in Michigan. 4-H declined to do the show, not all publicity is good publicity when you work with kids. However, you could be contacted by them? Might be worth it to get the word out about them too.

As for $300 not being a lot of money, are you kidding me??? That kind of attitude is exactly why this bakery thinks they can treat people like this in the first place.
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    well i agree cant just "give 300 dollars away".....Congrats on getting married....just remember an eye for an eye....I know its alot of money but like you posted its going to coast you a lot more for paper work...Just remember what goes around comes around and they well have to answer to the big man in the end..... dont forget to do your part really forgive and just remember it well be a story to tell your Gkids when your 80 telling them about the baker who ripped you off at a very tough time in life......to the girl who said let the 300 dollars go.....if you got 300 dollars to 'just let go" you can give it to gingersnark to help with her wedding... ;)

$300 is a a lot of money to "walk away from." $300 is ...

9 months of my water/waste bills
    7 months of electric bills
    5 months of cell phone bills
    1 month of groceries
    31 tickets to the movies
    20 two topping pizzas
    10 spa peticures
    a day of spa treatments and a great lunch

Any of the above I would prefer to spend my $300 on rather than "gifting" it to someone who gave my bad service! You go for it honey. I've been in small claims court three times and won everytime without the help of an attorney. You just need to have your facts straight and as much documentation as possible to back up your claim. Keep emotions out of it and stick to the facts and the courts will do the rest.

And if it makes you feel any better, I had a five tier wedding cake that was beautiful...and would have fallen over on it's face if my groom and I didn't stand there and hold it up! We left the top three tiers sitting on the table until it was time to cut the cake, then we put the m on the rest of the cake and discreetly held them up until the cake pictures were taken, then we removed them and put them back on the table. When mom took the cake plates and hardware back to the bakery she told them what happened. She was told that the samething happened just two weeks before at another wedding. Mom told them that they should have figured out what cause it and demand her money back. They gave it to her with no arguement, as it should have been for you. I had forgotten that about my wedding...thanks for reminding me and putting a smile on my face! Good luck to you and your groom!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I never said that $300 was not a lot of money or that it was no big deal that she was getting screwed. I simply stated that it might not be worth the pain in the butt it takes to get it back in the long run. Things like this can drag on and on for a considerable amount of time. Spending more money on lawyers & paperwork, missing work to go to court (not to mention all the added stress from dealing with the jerks, on top of all the wedding crap) might not pay off in the end. I understand that it is the principle of the matter and not just all about the money. I'd like to see the thieves choke on it too.....but things don't always turn out the way they should. I sincerely hope you win. Good luck!
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    We filled our complaint in small claims court pro se (without a lawyer). It was $140 to file plus the $5 fee. We also had to pay for the Sheriff to serve the papers. $54 ($38 base then $.50 per mile to the location in the county). Papers were served successfully & our court date is May 24th. We asked for the the full refund of $290 plus costs.

Costs include the $145 to file & the $54 to serve. We are also going to ask for wages lost. So the $290 they couldve refunded in January might end up costing them $600 in the long run plus all the poor reviews on the online websites I have given.

I will update again the day of court.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I hope things work out for you. What a lot of crap to have to deal with on what's supposed to be one of the happiest occasions of your life. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Get your facts straight and be cool...Good luck and let us know the out come.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you already tried this but report them to the Better Business Bureau. I have found that very helpful when I want to get the attention of a business. I had an ambulance company send me to collections for a charge that was not for me or my husband. In fact when the trip happened I was living over 600 miles away. They were incredibly rude until I reported them to the BBB. I suggest using written correspondence rather than over the phone and cc: on the bottom to whoever you are sending a copy to. Send all correspondence certified mail with a receipt. For some reason certified mail is also helpful. Good Luck. :smile:
  • watsonmonica1
    Options
    I am not a lawyer but i do know one thing. the plaintiff is you. defendant is bakery. so plainiffs address should be your info not their's. Hope that helps. the rest i have no idea. tongue

<a href="http://www.accurotech.com&quot; rel="dofollow">seo Servicess</a>

<a href=http://www.accurotech.com>seo Servicess</a>

============================================
    Forum,
    =====
    Seo Servicess

Seo Servicess