Look for help and advice.

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm new and just started a few days ago and am very excited to get started.

Just to tell you a little about my first fitness plan, I've decide to walk for a whole month extending the time I walk each week by 5 minutes. Since I started this week, I walk 15 minutes everyday at about a 5 mph pace through the whole walk. Eventually during my last week I'll be walking 30 minutes each day. This is simply to build back up my motivation that I can do it if I try and to help me build up a little stamina/strengthen my legs to start running 2-3 times a week in February.

Now I know walking isn't going to solve all my weight problems and was wondering if anyone had any tips on what I could possibly do next? I used to take a lot of Kung Fu classes and swim a TON but have since stopped for the last 4 years, thus gaining an extra 75-80 lbs. I have a good background in stretching and I can always practice my Kung Fu, but I need something a little extra before I start again.

I have two 10lb free weight dumb bells that I would love to use. I just don't know ANYTHING about lifting weights or how to use them effectively.

Any advice/tips or even food tips are great too. Friend me if you like as well!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Scarlettbird50
    Scarlettbird50 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what about adding stretchyband/tensor bands for some resistance training?
  • Nyhart03
    Nyhart03 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Oh I have some of those (since I tried to convince myself I was ready to do the p90x). I'm just not sure how to use them is all. Any links to some starter exercises would be great. I'm finding some, just not sure what would be good for a beginner like me.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Walking will help lots! I've heard couch to 5k is really good. I bought a chea elliptical for my apartment, as well as I bought some Jillian michaels DVDs. 30 day shred, ripped in 30, 6 week 6 pack are my favorites. I don't go to the gym because I'm a single mom, work full time, I don't have time. But these are really easy to work into your schedule, as they're only around 20-30 mins long. They give killer results too!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Oh I have some of those (since I tried to convince myself I was ready to do the p90x). I'm just not sure how to use them is all. Any links to some starter exercises would be great. I'm finding some, just not sure what would be good for a beginner like me.

I started with 30 day shred. You can check it out on amazon.com. It's an amazing workout! ... Sorry after doing her workouts, I'm a huge Jillian michaels fan lol.
  • Nyhart03
    Nyhart03 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Reply!

I'll have to look into this for sure. Once I finish my month of walking (which may be to long, but I'm doing it for more of the I need to get into the habit of working out), I was going to do the couch to 5k. After that I'll check out some of those Julia Michaels DvD's.

I also have the p90x I really want to take a shot at once I'm in shape enough to do those.
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the Jillian MIchaels bandwagon as well. I love her videos.
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I really like the bluefin apps and if you want to continue walking they have a Powerwalking app. You can check it out here

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/power-walk/

I just finished the Ease into 5k app and really enjoyed it

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/ease-into-5k-running-plan/

For starter exercises I just downloaded their Bootcamp app haven't used it yet but it looks great for those of us just starting.

http://blog.bluefinapps.com/circuit-trainer-app/