Looking for some support

Options
Hi! I am new to this site. My name is April. I am 25 years old from Indiana. And I am happily engaged to be married. I am in the process of trying to lose weight for a few reasons. Number one: for my health, I don't want to go down the same path as all of my dad's side of the family & I want to live past my 50's. Most of my dad's side has passed away in there 50's my dad was 57 and I never thought I would be without my dad until I was alot older than I am now. Hes been gone for two years. He told me he wanted me to be a healthier woman. So Im trying hard. Number Two: I want to get my body into shape before I have kids. My sister almost died from her first child birth, and the second she gain 100 lbs. I don't want to go through that. And on top of that she didn't even look pregnant her stomach was just really big. Her stomach grew out instead of round. and the Third and Final reason I want to lose weight: my wedding is October 18, 2008. I am getting fitted for my dress in March so I figure if I start now i should be able to get down to under size 20 by the time we go get fitted for dresses. My main problem is my chest, when it comes to dress sizes. I want to become thinner once again. I have let myself go to hell in the past few years and its time I get things back on t rack. I am looking for some support, I know it would make it soo much easier if I had some good support. And I figure this is the place to come to to find it. I will support the people in return that support me.

Look forward to talking to you all.
April Val :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am new to this site. My name is April. I am 25 years old from Indiana. And I am happily engaged to be married. I am in the process of trying to lose weight for a few reasons. Number one: for my health, I don't want to go down the same path as all of my dad's side of the family & I want to live past my 50's. Most of my dad's side has passed away in there 50's my dad was 57 and I never thought I would be without my dad until I was alot older than I am now. Hes been gone for two years. He told me he wanted me to be a healthier woman. So Im trying hard. Number Two: I want to get my body into shape before I have kids. My sister almost died from her first child birth, and the second she gain 100 lbs. I don't want to go through that. And on top of that she didn't even look pregnant her stomach was just really big. Her stomach grew out instead of round. and the Third and Final reason I want to lose weight: my wedding is October 18, 2008. I am getting fitted for my dress in March so I figure if I start now i should be able to get down to under size 20 by the time we go get fitted for dresses. My main problem is my chest, when it comes to dress sizes. I want to become thinner once again. I have let myself go to hell in the past few years and its time I get things back on t rack. I am looking for some support, I know it would make it soo much easier if I had some good support. And I figure this is the place to come to to find it. I will support the people in return that support me.

Look forward to talking to you all.
    April Val :flowerforyou:
  • saralind21
    saralind21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It looks like you have some great reasons on why you want to get in shape! Congrats on your engagement :happy:

It is very hard to have once been thin and than gain a lot of weight. Last year at this time I was about 30 pounds lighter. Its sucks to look at pics of myself now compared to than. But it is also a great motivator!

I don't know if you're what some people call an "emotional eater"...I know I am. I eat when I am sad,bored, angry, etc... Well if that is the case I would like to recommend a great book called, When food is Love, by Geneen Roth. It is really helping me a lot, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyway, welcome to the site. It is a great place to get encouragement and support. Losing weight is really hard, but I am here for you :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Hi, April! Welcome.

We all understand your struggle. My mom's side of the family (the women) all were large women. None of them lived past 70. My dad's side of the family - everyone is thin. My dad was thin and 41 when he died of a heart attack.

Realistically, I have no idea how I will die, but while I'm alive I'd like to enjoy my life. And that is much easier when I am able to do whatever I want. I have no children, but I know that they require an incredible amount of energy and work (and worth it, I'm sure!)

I FEEL better when I eat healthy foods and exercise. A lot better. Even though I am still working to lose weight, I am seeing many more benefits health-wise. We are here for you - this is a choice for your health and happiness, and I promise it is worth it!

Cheryl
  • tdroseler
    Options
    Support is a key "ingredient" to weight loss

tee hee, i came up with that one all on my own

Im more than sure all of us on this site know vitually all the tricks to loosing weight. We have all done research, found facts and fiction, tried everything out there. How else has it become a multi billion dollar industry?

In the end, i, myself, have discovered two things: 1...no one can do it but me And 2...it is so much easier when someone holds my hand.

Sounds contradictory, doesn't it.
    This time around i realized that in the end, i have to be the one to get up and do whatever it takes to loose the weight, if that is what i really want in life.
    This time around, i have phenominal support. I went looking for it. And, while i am doing it for myself, and by myself, i also am surrounded by wonderful people. I find holding myself accountable to different persons keeps me from running amuck. I joined a local weight loss group. I joined Curves. My hubby goes walking with me. I have a tread mill at my dad's, so when i go visiting, he and i take turns on it. I joined this site. I have my doctor to report to monthly, I took a course in better understanding and treatment of chronic illnesses. I began my own support group from this class, we meet weekly, and continue what we learned. I even sought coucelling for my emotional eating.

I want it bad...i want to be healthy and not have to worry about living with no quality, or dieing too soon.

It is an odd combination, doing things yourself, and building a support network...but i think it really works, and works for you.

You joining MFP is only the beginning of your support network... look around you, im sure you can find ways add to this support. WE are always here, to chat, to ask and answer questions, to offer advice, even if you don't want it :tongue: and more than willing to offer a shoulder when you need one.

Hope to see lots of you here!! (even if there gets to be less and less of you , lol...it must be late, im getting silly, lol.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Support is a key "ingredient" to weight loss

tee hee, i came up with that one all on my own..............

..............Hope to see lots of you here!! (even if there gets to be less and less of you , lol...it must be late, im getting silly, lol.)

Ok, td, you're Always Silly. That's why we :heart: you.

~cm
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Welcome
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome April!!!
    You can do this. You have your mindset and that is so important. You are on the right track. Now you can start finding what works best for you.

Best of luck!! I am always up for supporting others and getting a bit when I need it as well.

Eve
    :flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! You came to a great site with TONS of support. We are all here for you!! Best of luck:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • AprilVal
    Options
    It looks like you have some great reasons on why you want to get in shape! Congrats on your engagement :happy:

It is very hard to have once been thin and than gain a lot of weight. Last year at this time I was about 30 pounds lighter. Its sucks to look at pics of myself now compared to than. But it is also a great motivator!

I don't know if you're what some people call an "emotional eater"...I know I am. I eat when I am sad,bored, angry, etc... Well if that is the case I would like to recommend a great book called, When food is Love, by Geneen Roth. It is really helping me a lot, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Anyway, welcome to the site. It is a great place to get encouragement and support. Losing weight is really hard, but I am here for you :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I used to have problems with the emotional eater but not soo much anymore. It was the worst when my dad died. So now I'm paying for it. It sucks and its kinda gross, but I know I can. I have a few pics of me posted in my pics on myspace. They are my motivation. They are kinda gross but I don't care. know they will help me lose weight. SO I have them posted. Pics of my belly, front view and side. EHH! I appreciate your advice and support. Look forward to keep talking to you! :flowerforyou:
  • AprilVal
    Options
    Hi, April! Welcome.

We all understand your struggle. My mom's side of the family (the women) all were large women. None of them lived past 70. My dad's side of the family - everyone is thin. My dad was thin and 41 when he died of a heart attack.

Realistically, I have no idea how I will die, but while I'm alive I'd like to enjoy my life. And that is much easier when I am able to do whatever I want. I have no children, but I know that they require an incredible amount of energy and work (and worth it, I'm sure!)

I FEEL better when I eat healthy foods and exercise. A lot better. Even though I am still working to lose weight, I am seeing many more benefits health-wise. We are here for you - this is a choice for your health and happiness, and I promise it is worth it!

Cheryl

Cheryl

I realize we really don't know when we will die, when it comes to our health. But I would like to prolong the inevitable when it comes to losing your life. My oldest brother died in a car accident at 24 when I was 11, so I'm hoping my life will be much longer.

I am starting to feel better now that I am eating better and exercising. I exercised twice yesterday because Im so determined. I want to get down to under that size 20 by March. LOL! I appreciate your advice and support I hope to talk to you in the future. :flowerforyou:
  • AprilVal
    Options
    Welcome April!!!
    You can do this. You have your mindset and that is so important. You are on the right track. Now you can start finding what works best for you.

Best of luck!! I am always up for supporting others and getting a bit when I need it as well.

Eve

Thank you. I appreciate your support and opinions. :) I hope to talk to you in the future!