Weigt Watchers vs. MFP.....any thoughts?

Options
Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about the 2 and how they differ from each other.

Replies

• BrandyBarrett
    Options
    One is free
  • doingitright2013
    Options
    Lol true....maybe I should have put it has anyone had more success with one than the other and what are your experiences with them.
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What the PP said. And I guess for my little brain, this involves no mental effort on my part in terms of calculation (in terms of will power I reckon they are the same). I also think there is less of a 'culture' surround this app whereas WW seems to have that aspect to it. I find this is less a 'diet' as a means of examining what I am eating long-term (may be just my experience) rather than something that felt counter-intuitive (ww) and added an extra step in the accountability with the points.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, but I have done WW before and already I can see some differences.

Since MFP tracks everything for me..I'm not really seeing much of a difference as far as ease of tracking/calculating. I am entering in my foods now just as I was when I did WW. One thing that I liked better about WW was that fruits and veggies were free (at least when I was doing it) and now with this plan I have to count them...it sometimes makes it harder to stay within goal.

As UKMarjie said, I do look at MFP as more of a change in lifestyle and I can see more what I am eating and how it's affecting me..where as sometimes that was harder to do with WW. WW I have to say, I never really learned what was good and what was "bad" as easily. I never really got the hang of how many points something was worth, and it's easier for me to look at something and know how it'll affect my daily goals on MFP even if I am not around the app at that moment. For example: If I know I have about 150 calories left then I can look at something and know if it'll fit. If I was on WW and had 2 points left but was not around an app, book, computer, etc. then I may or may not know if something would fit in that 2 points.

Also...it's free :P
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Done both, both work However' weight watchers is basically eat what they tell you and lose weight
    Using fitness pal I'm much more educated about what foods contain etc and I've sustained this for 2 years now- its simply my lifestyle on ww I out it all back on.
  • lily653
    lily653 Posts: 18
    Options
    WW helps you learn what to eat, portion control, how to be successful. WW offers support and accountability by way of meetings in addition to the online message boards. I also find that while there are many knowledgable people on the MFP message boards there are just as many promoting false information as truth.

That being said, MFP is free and WW is not. I had a lot of success with WW, but couldn't afford it anymore. I use the information I've learned via WW to continue to be successful while tracking with MFP.

Edited: When I said learned "what to eat" I meant more like "how to eat" I should be eating more whole foods, fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, and limit processed foods, sugar, and alcohol. I never had an experience with WW telling me "what to eat" like a Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem would do.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have looked into WW, but didn't like having to convert everything to points.
    Counting calories is way easier and you start to remember how much something is a lot quicker.
    You also learn a lot more about nutrition on MFP.

Also mfp is free :).
  • iSurvive
    Options
    I've done both. I have had success doing weight watchers and doing it alone... now maintaining I have never done, but then I have always had a major life event that has really thrown a wrench into things. (ie; pregnancies, cancer) That said, I also always looked at it as a diet and not as a lifestyle change. Truly. I know I don't need meetings or counting points to do this so I am not joining weight watchers this time. And I like FREE! Haha! However if you need the accountability that weight watchers offers (which is not a bad thing!) then go with that!
  • lauriebear777
    Options
    I just joined MFP - I was on WW before; I had real good results with the Points Program but when they changed to the Points Plus Program it was just to much, it wasn't simple and easy to follow anymore IMO. I drifted off and with out a structure I slowly stopped my good eating habits the came back slowly stopped exercising, and well I just had enough and through Yahoo found this place it feels a lot like the old WW plan easy to follow and not a lot of hassle or thinking you know what everything it and you can adjust what you eat to fit in your day, I like that.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I was debating on same thing before I finally chose MFP. I really researched both. I went to both websites and went to all the links and compared each. The only differences I came up with was meetings & points VS calorie counting. The rest of the tools are almost the same. That being said, I opted to save my money.
    Which ever you choose, Good Luck on Your journey!
  • Aliykat
    Aliykat Posts: 29
    Options
    I am doing WW and MFP at the same time. I find that my points and calories end up being about the same equalization. I have never done WW before so I figured I would give it a try for 3 months ( it was a free gift to me) and see how it goes.
    Ill let you know how I find it at the end of 3 months.

So far I am averaging with WW about 1 pd a week? maybe a bit less though have only been on it for 3 weeks.

I also have less to lose so I think it might be slower for me as well..

anyways I will report back in 3 months and let you know what I think :)
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am a very picky eater so WW worked well for me. The old system helped me lose 70 pounds. Thought of changing over to the new system but why fix whats not broken. If you stick with WW you do remember the point value of your regular stuff so I only have to use my points calculater when buying / eating new things.

I just joined MFP today so I can't tell you pros / cons of this. I did however find it important to have the actual box with the nutritional value in front of me while entering my breakfast this morning, which kind of seems like a pain but I guess that it would get easier with time.
  • lauriebear777
    Options

Since MFP tracks everything for me..I'm not really seeing much of a difference as far as ease of tracking/calculating. I am entering in my foods now just as I was when I did WW. One thing that I liked better about WW was that fruits and veggies were free (at least when I was doing it) and now with this plan I have to count them...it sometimes makes it harder to stay within goal.

Also...it's free :P

You know since they went to the points plus it was different Fruits became free (some anyway) and some veggies were not free anymore.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I tried WW for awhile, and I wasn't losing weight how I wanted to. It also has a subscription fee. The community was good, but I feel even closer to my MFP friends than the WW ones. I will never regret cancelling WW and moving to MFP. I've lost more weight, felt better, and found new friends on MFP.

For the record, I had online WW. I can imagine if you went to WW meetings in person, you would find it more motivating!
  • UKMarjie
    UKMarjie Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am doing WW and MFP at the same time. I find that my points and calories end up being about the same equalization. I have never done WW before so I figured I would give it a try for 3 months ( it was a free gift to me) and see how it goes.
    Ill let you know how I find it at the end of 3 months.

So far I am averaging with WW about 1 pd a week? maybe a bit less though have only been on it for 3 weeks.

I also have less to lose so I think it might be slower for me as well..

anyways I will report back in 3 months and let you know what I think :)

I find this interesting. I have about 20 - 30 to loose and am having a different experience. I think a lot depends on your goals and the calorie intake - it is very early days yet for me but averaging around 2 - 3 lost/week and am 1200-1300. I am off to Hawaii in April so the sense of urgency is there...had some 'fabulous' shots of me on the beach in august motivate me a bit...(yikes).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Those who post here will tell you MFP is better. Ask the same question on an WW forum and you will get the other answer. Posters have self selected.

As for the WW culture, it varies widely. I have been in meetings with Nutrition Nazis and I have been in meetings focused on how to eat more junk foods within your point limits.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand why fruits and veggies are 0 points on weight watchers. You can get fat from eating too many of those, they do contain calories and those calories do add up.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    MFP is FREE
    WW uses points and you therefore do not get knowledge of the true calorific value of foods
    WW online takes your money and just leaves you to it - no email encouragement - nada (I know I tried)
    WW classes only get to chat about things once a week unless you call your class leader personally
    MFP lots of positive and supportive friends from all around the world and someone available 24/7 for support or answers to questions.

No contest MFP all the way:smile:
  • sally414
    Options
    I've gone back and forth with both WW and MFP.

WW worked for me in the past - but I got sick of the meetings and made up excuses not to go. Once I tried WW Online and thought, "Why am I paying to do this online if MFP is free?" Also the online community is easier to navigate/use and the people are great on MFP!

I agree with statements about MFP being a lifestyle change and WW being a diet. I can't imagine being on WW for life. But I can see logging my calories on here for quite some time. I also love seeing the "What I would weigh in 5 weeks" after each of my MFP daily logs!

I think I'll stick with this!
  • Iloveeyore78
    Iloveeyore78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    WW was a part time job in my opinion. It felt more like an obligation. This is fun. People on MFP are VERY supportive and we celebrate virutally.

I can plan my day, easily log things, learn by checking the boards and share the path of health with fellow like minded people. I love MFP and promote it ALL the time! It is by far the best thing ever for me. :)