I want abs

Options
So I've basically lost all the weight I'd like to lose. Now I want to start toning up, and by toning up I mean I really want a six pack. For some reason I love the way it looks on a girl. So does anyone have any tips? ,Like what I should eat and how much of it? Should I still eat at a deficit?

Replies

• SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I want abs too! I'm doing the New Rules of Lifting For Women and I'm hoping to see some improvement with that. My diet may be my downfall though! I LOVE sweets! Interested to see suggestions to your topic:)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Get to a lower body fat.
  • kc_pig
    kc_pig Posts: 6
    Options
    Add the P90X ab-ripper (15 min) to your workout 2-3 times a week. Add that and try adding some sprint days in on your cardio days. My $.02.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    look up 8 min abs on youtube... great ab workout.. see pictures in profile... start at level one and progress from there.. there are 3 levels
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What you weigh doesn't matter, it's body composition. Have your body fat measured accurately in a gym, and if you don't have visible abs, you need to go lower. There are tons of ab exercises that are easy to do that will build the muscle, but you won't see the muscle if it is hidden by fat. Even at 19% BF only my obliques show, I have to get to around 17% to see the 6 pack definition at all.

I do lots of yoga and pilates which includes tons of crunches, planks, and stability type stuff (core strengthening).
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    ^ and that!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    two pretty good articles, in my opinion, on body fat, and abs.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/02/body-fat-percentage/

http://www.vicmagary.com/blog/uncategorized/truth-of-six-pack-abs

and have you heard about staci?? http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

on the left she is 131lbs, on the right she is actually heavier at 142lbs.

Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Get to a lower body fat.

^This!

In order for you to see ab definition, you have to reduce your body fat. Genetics also play a role in this factor as well!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I recall a similar post in which some folks who have great abs on here talked about at what body fat % you have to get to before you'll be able to see your abs. It wasn't a weight discussion it was purely a body fat % discussion that I found very informative. Maybe someone can find it on here and point you to it. Yes, it also talked about things to do to get better abs.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It's actually all about body fat percentage.
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Eat healthy, be healthy, which includes working out, and you should get there.

And please post pics!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    What you weigh doesn't matter, it's body composition. Have your body fat measured accurately in a gym, and if you don't have visible abs, you need to go lower. There are tons of ab exercises that are easy to do that will build the muscle, but you won't see the muscle if it is hidden by fat. Even at 19% BF only my obliques show, I have to get to around 17% to see the 6 pack definition at all.

I do lots of yoga and pilates which includes tons of crunches, planks, and stability type stuff (core strengthening).

^^This sounds about right. GOOD LUCK!!! Getting Abs is NOT an easy thing but, just keep working at it and say healthy!! :-)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy
    Get to low-ish body fat
    IF your an muscles are big enough they might show. If they are not you might have to bulk then cut again. Maybe even more than once.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    It depends. If you don't have much muscle mass, it could be very difficult to achieve visible abs. If this is the case, you need to spend some time building muscle first.

Otherwise, you simply need to reduce your bodyfat while minimizing muscle loss.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Yup. You may already have well developed abs, they're just hiding under body fat. If you're looking for exercises try planks and crunches.
  • MGigs21
    MGigs21 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    oooh! i want me some abs too! I wish i could just go to the market and buy some lol
    I too lost all the weight i wanted to lose, i just started with toning :)
    I am trying to do a quick 10-15 minute abs workout before i go to bed and even when i'm in bed ( i throw a few mini-crunches)
    i can feel the tiny workouts are doing something.
  • taytay9955
    Options
    I've been working on getting abs too, trying to lose fat and gain mussel I use my waist measurement to determine my process and try to focus less on how much weight I am actually losing, I'm of the belief that getting abs is about 60% of what you eat and about 30% of what you do in the gym
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    abs are made in the kitchen
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You already have them. time to refine what you think might already may be a clean diet and get down to the nit picky, sodium, sugar, are your carbs complex and wholesome and well portioned.

Or just step up your training intensity if you feel there's room for improvement to get the extra fat burn.

Men: To make your entire six pack of abdominal muscles visible, you'll need to get your fat level down to somewhere below 11%. If you get it down below 8%, you'll almost certainly have a clearly visible six pack.

Women: You need to get your fat percentage down to somewhere under 17%. 14% would be even better. These are higher numbers than the guys have to hit, but remember that you naturally have a higher fat percentage, so your job is just as tough as for the guys.

Those numbers are difficult to reach, but not unattainable. Depending on whose results you use, the average American male has a body fat of between 17 and 26%.

The average American female has a body fat of between 22 and 36%. You have your work cut out for you, so make sure you pick a solid program and stick with it.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1414162