To much of a greedy mind!

Options
I have been reading through post on the message boards and all the science behind weight loss has hurt my head a little lol. My way of thinking is simple eat less, exercise more. To eat more exercise more ( not good when having a lazy, wanna eat loads kind of week :ohwell: )

My thing is I am eating 1200 calories a day and i exercise regularly (exercise i enjoy) 3-4 times a week. I have surprised myself this week as I have rarely felt hungry...However it does not matter how many health choices I make or how well I am doing it never is or will be the food I WANT ha ha :laugh:
Life is so cruel to us weight watchers :sad:
I do have a sweet tooth and the no or little chocolate is killing me the most.
Any low calorie desserts or sweets that can curb the craving that is sugar??

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.

I planned on starting my diet yesterday but my coworker brought it brownies with cream cheese frosting. GRRRR. I love cream cheese frosting. Needless to say, I caved in, but at least I started my exercises when I got home. I will do better today.

I am trying to find low cal/diet friendly food that's similar to my cravings to help me. I find that the low calorie chocolate pudding is pretty good for the taste and nutritional numbers. The 100 calorie pack Kellogg's pastry crisps have started to become a staple too.

I understand your frustration though. When you read diet books that suggest healthier swaps, and they say "if you're craving a cheeseburger, have some tofu blocks instead!!", or "if you want chocolate cake, have a watermelon!!". They're not even in the same realm of taste!

But, persistence is key. So fight on!
  • liannesaut
    liannesaut Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa pudding, reminds me of my favourite dessert (rice pudding) but way healthier. I eat it for breakfast 1-2 times a week. There are recipes online, but basically its 1/4 dry quinoa (cooked with water), 1/2 cup almond milk, a TON of cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg, and a couple almonds and dried cranberries or raisons. I usually let it sit overnight or for a few hours. Good hot or cold, and satisfies the sweet tooth everytime!
  • cleomouri
    cleomouri Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just found a fantastic cookbook:
    http://www.amazon.com/Marlene-Unbelievable-Desserts-Splenda-Sweetener/dp/1590771400/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1357316108&sr=8-5&keywords=splenda+cookbook

I've a pretty major sweet tooth myself and love decorating cakes. I'd been avoiding both for a while though as I knew if I made sweets or a cake I'd wind up eating it and I didn't need that many calories. I found a copy of the linked book for $4 at a bargain outlet store near my house and picked up thinking "Hey! If it's a bust at least it was only $4"

I LOVE IT. I think the most any single serving of a dessert has for calories is 190. Many are much much less (like the scone recipe that's in there that's only 60cals a serving!). I've made some of these and taken them to my TOPS meeting to share (TOPS has a rule that any snack that's brought has to be under 150cals) and the ladies in my group were surprised that they taste so good and were still very low in calories, sugar, fat.

Each recipe also includes the Diabetic Exchange and the WW point conversion and the nutritional facts for those that are closely tracking them.

Today I sent Red Velvet cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese frosting with my husband as a treat since one of his co-workers is expecting. I'm waiting to hear what his co-workers think when they discover that each decadent cupcake only has 180 calories including the topping (vs many that average 300-500).
  • melissa6592
    melissa6592 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I have always had to watch my wieght and have just sky rocketed to 176 so I have decieded to kick my own *kitten* and get back in shape. I refuse to deny myself of a major craving and have found it helps having my boyfriend and son around. I am also a sweets fanatic. To try and help myself not fail I have decieded to buy whatever it is I am craving have one bite and give the rest to them. It is surprisingly satisfying and rewarding as it is building self control slowly . But other things that could help also are taking greens early afternoon you can buy greens at shoppers drugmart. If I have cravings at night which is almost everynight I will bake and apple with cinnamon and nutmeg taste similar to apple pie or have a small vanilla yogart with frozen blueberries. Also it is okay to have small amounts of dark chocolate but I don't prefer it.
    Good luck
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Any low calorie desserts or sweets that can curb the craving that is sugar??

I've replaced my sweets with 1 Quest Bar (search on line for nutritional info) a day. They have so much fiber that I can't eat more than one a day though but that's a good thing. They have lots of protein and fiber and are very low carb. The chocolate brownie ones remind me of tootie rolls. I'd rather have a Godiva truffle but I save those for special occasions.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of changing your calorie goals? What setting do you have it at to put you at 1200? I like to eat foods that I enjoy, so I set my weekly loss goal to be much lower than I know it could be. I don't plan on radically changing my eating habits when I get to goal, so I figured why not take a bit more time to lose the weight and actually enjoy myself along the way? Instead of search for low calorie "substitutes" that aren't really enjoyable, I lose slower and have more of the stuff I love.
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Special Dark Kisses are only ~20 calories each. I've been finding that 2 or 3 hit the spot quite nicely :)
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I make chocolate chip oatmeal for breakfast: 1/2 cup rolled oats prepared in the microwave with water, approx 30 semi-sweet chocolate chips, and approx 1 TBSP peanut butter. That usually keeps me happy throughout the work day. I'll eat a clementine after lunch or chew gum. Then I'll go to the gym, head home to make a healthy dinner, and finish the night off with some hot cocoa, which is only about 100 calories. I don't do all of this every day, but when I'm craving sweets I will let myself have them in a healthy way so I don't feel deprived. On the weekend if I do a long run (like 8-10 miles) I'll totally let myself have a chocolate chip cookie, froyo, or a delicious chocolate stout later.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Special Dark Kisses are only ~20 calories each. I've been finding that 2 or 3 hit the spot quite nicely :)

I see no reason to not have sweets/desserts, provided you don't have a medical reason to eliminate them. I eat 2 desserts - lunch and supper - and no problem losing weight. I fit them into my daily cals. They keep me from going postal and straight out binging.
  • mrsedge1
    Options
    Thanks guy I will try some of these and see how I go. I want to stick with the calories I'm at now because another one of my big issues is over eating so that number of calories is great for learning to change my habits.
    I start a kettle bells class on Monday so may up calorie intake on those days to get me through the day and class.
    Felt on a real low yesterday also think that didn't help but we all have our bad days with it I suppose back in the game today tho, off for a run and if I am good may even have room for chocolate :)