need ideas!!

Options
I NEED IDEAS FOR MORE CARB & PROTIEN IN MY DIET!! I DO NOT LIKE SEAFOOD AS A RULE! (I TAKE OMEGA 3THOUGH!) I AM LACKING QUITE A BIT ON A DAILY BASIS. I AM A WORKING MOM & WIFE SO SPENDING A LOT OF TIME TO PREPARE SOMET HING IS HARD AND TRYING TO FIT ALL MY EXERCISE IN TO ONE DAY! NO WONDER I AM TIRED!! BACK TO IT I NEED IDEAS DESPARATELY!ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.THANKS!

Replies

• mydietplan
    mydietplan Posts: 10
    Options
    I NEED IDEAS FOR MORE CARB & PROTIEN IN MY DIET!! I DO NOT LIKE SEAFOOD AS A RULE! (I TAKE OMEGA 3THOUGH!) I AM LACKING QUITE A BIT ON A DAILY BASIS. I AM A WORKING MOM & WIFE SO SPENDING A LOT OF TIME TO PREPARE SOMET HING IS HARD AND TRYING TO FIT ALL MY EXERCISE IN TO ONE DAY! NO WONDER I AM TIRED!! BACK TO IT I NEED IDEAS DESPARATELY!ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.THANKS!
  • sanlin20
    sanlin20 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What about orange juice for carbs, and egg whites for protein? I personally like Tropicana pure orange juice that has Calcium and Vitamin D added, available from Costco. Egg whites are easy to prepare: Put two eggs in a small bowl (shell removed, no need to add oil), cover bowl with Glad wrap, microwave at high for 1min 20sec. Remove yolk when done. That should give you 7g of protein (34 calories).
  • mdup777
    mdup777 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I get sick of eating egg and egg whites I do a slimfast shake in the morning with some tofu and a banana. Yumm. Gets me through the week! If anyone has any other protein ideas, please share.
  • sarah_070
    sarah_070 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what has helped me a lot for excersive is cardio and The Biggest Loser video tape.
  • mkaguiar
    mkaguiar Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't like seafood either and I can't have eggs so I often find it difficult to get in my proteins. I often use 1% Milkfat Cottage Cheese or Skippy's Reduced Fat Peanut Butter. Not only do these help with getting in protein but the peanut butter tends to help sway my sweet cravings and the cottage cheese helps with the dairy cravings I get occasionally. There are also a couple of Lean Cuisine meals I like that in many diet plans count as a protein and starch/carbohydrate.

Best of luck!
  • hollyhinshaw
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and obviously don't get as much protein as most people, here are some things that help me:

-Once a week I stock up on vegetables, there are actually surprisingly good ammounts of protein and even carbs in them... I chop them up and wash them that day so they are ready to grab on the go, or to make cooking easier and faster.

-Beans and rice form a complete protein and provide more nutrition to your body than eating those things alone... they also provide carbs, so this would be a great meal for you! Rice does take some time to cook, but it least it is a low mantinence meal. Try black beans and rice topped with corn, cucumber, radish, onion, tomato and sunflower seeds!

-speaking of sunflower seeds, nuts are a great form of protein... raw nuts or roasted (slightly lower in calories) and unsalted are the very best way to process and maintain the proteins... they can seem hard to get used too, but once you only eat nuts in this way you will NEVER go back. Don't let the fat content scare you, they are good fats and essential to the body for processing things like protein.

-Try using ground peanuts or almonds instead of processed peanutbutters. Fred Meyer and other grocery stores have grinders on site in their health food section. When eating proteins you have to consider the source, the more processed the food the harder it is for your body to process the nutrients. If you are eating whole foods, you will get and utilize the proteins and carbs much better- you also need to eat less because your body is getting the nutrition it needs faster.

-Tofu really is a super food. My mom used to have to pay me to try new foods because I am by nature the world's pickiest eater. It took me a long time but now I love tofu... I started out eating it fried because it was the only way I could get over the texture... now I love it any way! Let me know if you want some recipes, I have tons!!!

-Popcorn is a fast and easy snack and is very surprisingly considered to be a whole grain!! Try using vegan butter, honestly there is no difference in taste. Instead of salt try out different seasonings... the less salt and processed foods you eat the more carbs and protein you will obtain.

Thats all I can think of now... Good luck and happy eating!
  • hollyhinshaw
    Options
    Not that I haven't written enough, but bread is actually high in both carbs and protein. I learned that by looking at which foods on my list have given me the most protein, it was right up there with black beans...

you could try typing in a list of foods you think may help you and see which ones have the highest sources of protein and carbs, then eat those foods more frequently.

that's all from me for now, promise!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    On Sundays I prep extra meat. I roast or smoke two whole chickens and shred the leftover meat. Just discard the skin. It can then be used on salads or in soup or just plain for the next three days. You can even portion it out into containers. Boiling eggs ahead is also convenient. Pork tenderloin is another great and inexpensive protein that you can cook extra of and slice it up to use. Also sautéed some ground turkey with salt and pepper. You can use it on salads or my favorite is make brown rice and black beans and make a taco bowl. Layer rice, black beans, turkey, and top with tomato or salsa and shredded cabbage and a lime wedge.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    eat a slice or two of a low sodium deli meat as a snack, pair that with aa chunk of cheese and some crackers or fruit.