How to boost my metabolism??

Options
I know there's probably this post somewhere but I couldn't find it. I was wondering what (if anything) ya'll use as a natural boost. (vitamins, fish oil, green tea ect.)((I dont even know what those do)) I get so overwhelmed with people being on natural kicks one day and not the next and I can never remember which herb or oil or tea does what for you!:) I was also wondering what flax seed is supposed to do for you?

Any tips/tricks in that department would be great, even if it's just a normal food that gives you a boost!! :)

Replies

• tig3rang3l
    tig3rang3l Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much it's been helping, but I've started adding a little bit of lemon juice to my water each day. It makes the water taste better and fresher, quenches my thirst better, and it's also taking away some of my bloating.
  • scottekohl
    Options
    I've read that drinking a large quantity ice cold water in the AM causes your core temp to drop. As a result, your body kick's in the furnace which burns up calories.

Read this article

http://weight-loss-methods.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_speed_up_metabolism
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've read that drinking a large quantity ice cold water in the AM causes your core temp to drop. As a result, your body kick's in the furnace which burns up calories.

Read this article

http://weight-loss-methods.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_speed_up_metabolism

Great link! Thanks!
  • Jparadise72
    Options
    bUmP great question
  • GRANDEOSO
    Options
    Using the green tea pills. I'm not impressed
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    weight training
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Using the green tea pills. I'm not impressed

TY

Wandering around at that link (above) I saw something about adding a dash of crushed red pepper to what you eat. I think I'm going to try that.
    weight training

TY, so it's muscle building that boosts it most? or Cardio? I was always under the assumption it was cardio, shows what I know! lol
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you have, the more you burn. I would suggest doing a combination of both cardio and weight training. You don't need to bulk up, but just become tone. Also with cardio, you will continue to burn calories at a higher rate for a time after you are done. I am not sure how long.

There is also a theory that spicy foods can help do a little metabolism boost as well.
  • jball042504
    Options
    Lean Muscle burns more callories. so cardio and weight trainig are probably best.
    Also make an eating schedule and eat about every 3 hours, not full meals but healthy snacks about 200 or so calories i found that this helps alot.
    Spicy foods actually helps with blood circulation not necessarily metabolism.
  • rvmartinez
    Options
    i think taking a good quantity of fiber enriched food such as watermelon, pineapple, apples (for example) will help your metabolism to work more :)
  • shelsey
    shelsey Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, I've read drinking lots of cold water right when you wake up before breakfast can work wonders. There's this drink that you could make that helps flush out your system which can help speed up the digestion process. You can mix hot water, lemon juice, and ginger together and it helps a little. Also, you could try working out a little before eating. Working out really boosts your metablism and can help you get rid of the food you eat after TONS quicker! Good luck!
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    Just to build off what other people have said:
    It's not about boosting your metabolism, so much as it is about keeping it fired up.

Your body is constantly burning calories in it's operations, but muscle burns more while inactive than a lack of muscle, so you "boost" your metabolism that way.

Cardio and weightlifting burn calories to do the actions your taking part in, and your metabolism is at a slightly higher rate right after a good workout, which makes it easier for your body to burn the calories you take in right after it.

If you only eat 3 big meals a day, your metabolism slows down between them, by giving your body something to digest(more calorie burning!) more often, it keeps your metabolism at it's higher rate.

Anything I've ever read says that spicy foods help your digestion, not your metabolism directly.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    High intensity interval training is thought to increase your resting metabolic rate for 24 hours post-exercise, which is more than steady-state aerobic exercise.

Edit to link to a thesis about it. Haven't read it myself yet, but it is on the docket. http://etd-submit.etsu.edu/etd/theses/available/etd-0412101-214442/unrestricted/king0417.pdf
  • Jwinn
    Jwinn Posts: 1
    Options
    CHANGE ON SPEEDS "INTERVALS" that is the best thing to help you burn calories through out the day. Drinking 2 full glasses of ICE water first thing in the morning from what I read makes your body heat that water up to body temp and burns calories while doing it. And like others say eating every 3 hours really helps your body keep burning calories.
  • cruisegirl
    cruisegirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just to build off what other people have said:
    It's not about boosting your metabolism, so much as it is about keeping it fired up.

Your body is constantly burning calories in it's operations, but muscle burns more while inactive than a lack of muscle, so you "boost" your metabolism that way.

Cardio and weightlifting burn calories to do the actions your taking part in, and your metabolism is at a slightly higher rate right after a good workout, which makes it easier for your body to burn the calories you take in right after it.

If you only eat 3 big meals a day, your metabolism slows down between them, by giving your body something to digest(more calorie burning!) more often, it keeps your metabolism at it's higher rate.

Anything I've ever read says that spicy foods help your digestion, not your metabolism directly.

Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Aren't you the poster who has been using Hydroxycut? Hope you're off of it for good now.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Chillis are supposed to boost your metabolism, both sweet ones and hot ones! Just depends if you can handle the heat! :explode:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    As others have pointed out, weight training can work wonders! I find that if I work out before eating in the mornings, I'll typically lose weight faster.

Eating small meals every 3 hours or so also helps because it keeps you burning calories consistently.

Don't eat at least 2 hours before bed, 3 if you can help it. Your metabolism slows when you're sleeping, so you won't burn that food off as easily as if you were awake.

Also, eating first thing in the morning is supposed to "rev" your metabolism. Some people have to eat before they work out, some work out then eat. For me, working out first works best.

Hope these help!