What's the most you have lost/can lose in two months?

Options
2»

Replies

• mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    You could pick out a workout program for a couple of months to help keep you motivated like Insanity or P90X
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The first two months on MFP, i lost 19 lbs. My starting weight was 217 and I am 5',6". It has slowed down some since then.
  • acidtrashdoll
    Options

okay cool thanks for the info
  • acidtrashdoll
    Options
    You guys are great, seeing that a lot of you have been able to accomplish what i hope to accomplish is such great motivation. Thanks for all the tips
  • grnqueen
    grnqueen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As of today I have lost 7 lbs since 1/1/12. Here is the thing though, I am Gluten sensitive so I eat like I'm on the Adkins diet anyway. I just stopped drinking soda's and using added sugar on the first. My doctor says the first 20-40lbs could be this fast but I shouldn't expect it all to go this easy. I started at 102 lbs overweight (according to my doctor) so you may not have the same results, but as long as you just look to do your best you might be surprised.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Shows like The Biggest Loser set people up for disappointment.

1) The contestents are isolated and do not have to deal with work, family, bills, cleaning, or other things that an adult must do in their average life. They can focus soly on weight loss. That is not possible for most of the rest of us.

2) They have an army of fitness trainers, nutritionists, cooks, and medical advisors. Most people do not have that at their disposal.

3) Some of the tactics have been questionable, such as purposefully dehydrating contestents before weigh-ins. They also workout through injuries that would be devastating for most people to try and do.

4) If you do a search, the majority of them have gained some or most of their weight back. Shows like that focus on a boot-camp rather than a learning experience. It's very dramatic but not always practical for long-term health.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I think that 2275 number would be your TDEE, not your BMR. Your BMR is what you shouldn't eat below, it's the number of calories you should be taking in just to keep your bodily functions running if you were to be in bed/comatose all day.

If you are saying you are going to only eat 1200 cals/day, but then burn 500 off and not eat them back, then you are only really netting 700 cals per day. This is too low, and completely unnecessary.

oh i thought that it was 1200 calories plus working out is what anyone should do to lose weight??? That's what I've heard my entire life as a rule of thumb for weight loss. is the 1200 calorie limit a myth??

as for TDEE or BMR, I guess I'm not sure what it was, but I tried to find the amount of calories I would burn in a day without working out, used one of those calculators that do it automatically, it said i needed 2275 to maintain my weight, and to lose weight is anything under that.

Thanks for the advice!

BMR (basal metabolic rate) - minimum number of calories needed to keep your body functioning (breathing, heart beating, organs working, etc) while in a coma-like state.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - your BMR + the calories you need to talk, eat, move around, sit up, go to the bathroom, etc. Basically, what you need to live your life.

Since you calculated your TDEE to just include everyday activities, and not your workouts, I would just take a 15%-20% deficit from the 2275. However, since you have now already calculated a deficit based on eating alone, you get to eat back your exercise calories since they are just adding to the already existing deficit and your deficit would become too large.

As to the 1200 calorie "magic number" you have a couple of misconceptions, which many people have!

- First, the 1200 number should be net calories, not gross. So, if you eat 1200 cals but then workout and burn off 500 of them, then your body only has a net of 700 cals to use. Thus, you should eat back the 500 burned to reach a net of 1200.

- Second, the number 1200 is rather arbitrary as far as a lowest number of cals to eat number. It varies greatly based on height, weight, sex, etc, and for a lot of people that 1200 net number should actually be a bit higher.

Hopefully, I've made some sense here! I did my best, lol