Women, tell me your weight lifting routine.

Options
I'm getting a bench with 100 lbs worth of free weights at the end of this month. I really want to work on strength and lifting to build muscle. (I mean, I really could use it.. haha)

So, when you began what did you do? What do you do now?

I'm looking for some advice on exactly what kind of exercise to do, how many reps and sets, etc. If you have any suggestions for books or websites, please tell them.

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    B-b-b-b-b-b-bump!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I do three different full body workouts at least three times a week, but sometimes I double up and do more

Workout A-
    Squats
    Stiff leg dead lifts
    Upright rows
    Close grip bench press
    Standing calf raises
    Barbell curls

Workout B-
    Bench press
    Bent over rows
    Shoulder press
    Overhead extensions
    Seated calf raises
    Lateral raises

Workout C
    Dead lifts
    Seated rows
    Cable pulley crossover
    Tricep pushdown
    Hammer curls
    Leg extensions
    Hamstring curls

The most important part of my workouts are the big compound lifts such as squats and deadlifts. The others are complimentary.

Simply start at a weight that you can manage but find challenging and progressively move up from there
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Though, now I'm going to go look up what half of those mean. Haha! :)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    WARNING: VERY LONG POST

I created this for a few other people on here that are also new to weight lifting. Hope it helps. Please excuse any typo's.

Weight lifting routine for a new lifter

My suggestion is to do three sets of three different exercises per muscle group. I will arrange them in this fashion for you here.

• Each set should contain anywhere from 10-12 reps with the last three reps being fairly difficult to complete.
    • If you don’t struggle to complete the last three reps then you need to consider going up in weight.
    • Always make sure that FORM COMES FIRST. If you are struggling to keep your form correct during your set then you need to lower the weight.
    • While you are doing each exercise, keep in mind which muscle you are exercising. Always focus your energy on that muscle and contracting that muscle. Too many people think they can just go through the motion of moving the weight around without paying attention to which muscle they are using to move it.
    • I highly recommend using Google to search for the proper form for each of these exercises as I will be unable to explain the form to you well enough through text.
    • Always remember while doing exercises where you are standing you need to keep your knees soft. NEVER lock your knees. Especially while doing squats as this puts a lots of extra pressure on them.
    • While using machines, do not let the weight “clap” during every rep. If you let the weights meet that means your letting your muscles go to rest between sets.
    • Always try to use a 2 count. Two counts in one direction, two counts in the other. Example: For a bicep curl, curl it up for 2, lower the weight for two. Do not every swing weights. Always keep them under control.
    • Always inhale on the easy part of the lift and exhale on the hard part. Paying attention to breathing also helps you not do the move too fast. If you do it too fast you'll breath too fast and hyperventilate. Don't do that (haha).

Three day a week workout:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Chest:
    1. Bench Press
    2. Dumbbell Press (Can substitute seated fly machine if your gym has one)
    3. Incline Dumbbell Press

Shoulders:
    1. Standing overhead dumbbell press
    2. Arnold’s (Google this. Seated dumbbell press but when you bring them down you twist them to face you in front of your chest)
    3. Straight arm in and out fly (you’ll lose pretty light weight on these. I only use 5 lb. dumbbells)

Triceps:
    1. Kickbacks (one arm at a time or two, either way, just Google correct form)
    2. Overhead tricep extension (hold one dumbbell with both hands)
    3. Tricep push downs (if you have cables in your gym, otherwise you could do dumbbell or barbell skull crushers)

Day 2: Legs

1. Squats (You can do these with the barbell or dumbbells with DON’T lock your legs out at the top and try to get your thighs parallel to the floor every time!)
    2. Walking Lunges (Holding dumbbells, keeping both legs at around 90 degrees when you take a step, and push off with your back leg to work your glutes more. Also, don’t step your feet together between steps, just take long strides into the lunge each time)
    3. Leg extension machine (do not swing the weight up as you do this, make it a two count up and a two count down)
    4. Leg curl machine (Don’t swing the weight or kick yourself in the butt)
    5. Standing calf raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxv2AkNHcE uses this youtube video as a guide for the form, but don’t lock your legs like this guy does. But for this exercise you should do 15 slow, 10 fast for each direction (toes out, forward, and in)

Day 3: Back and Biceps

Back:
    1. Lat pull downs (lats are those “wings” that men get when they’re really big, google it so you know which muscle you’re concentrating on)
    2. Seated row (don’t lock your knees!)
    3. Bent over barbell row (definitely google for form)
    4. Back extension

Biceps:
    1. Alternating bicep curls (elbows stay glued to your side, your arms only move from the elbows down, only bring your arm up a little past parallel to the floor)
    2. Concentration curls
    3. Static Arm Curls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF5L3bkDPak Here is a youtube video to use to understand WHAT you’re doing but DO NOT have the bad form this girl does. She is swinging her body, using her shoulders A LOT and going WAY TOO FAST. So this is an example of how to perform the exercise, albeit badly)

If you only lift weights two days a week then just combine Legs with Back and Biceps.

This is a lot of information but I hope it helps!!! Please let me know if you have questions about ANY of these exercises and I can go into more detail.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm following Jamie Eason's fat burning 12-week workout on www.bodybuilding.com
    They have awesome work-outs.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've seen many people recommend the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    New rules of weight lifting for women. Best book you can have. Great reference.
  • shaffy08
    Options
    bump
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    My best advice to you is goole exercises for mass (ard the specific body part) Figure out what the exercise is called.....Then utube it so you can see it in action.
    May I suggest one legged Romanian dead lifts? Your hamstrings will scream for days. (4 sets holding 25lbs, 10 reps each leg)
    Thank me when you're not sore in 7 days :happy:
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength....just google them.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    bumppppppppp!!!
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Im terrible with routines, so perhaps I am not the best person to answer...

I found lifting 5lb dumbells for 3 sets of 12 pretty ineffective.

Once I starting lifting HEAVY (for me) weights for 3 sets of 5 or 6 reps (or as much as possible before losing good form) I started to see results and my workouts became much shorter, thus keeping my attention.

Key exercises though would be squats and deadlifts.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    when i first stepped foot into a gym... i could bench 15 lb d bs to start. yesterday i did 75 lb dbs!!! stick with it .....it works!!!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    New rules of weight lifting for women. Best book you can have. Great reference.

I LOVE New Rules of Lifting for Women. When it's over I think I am going to start New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. The Supercharged version is for both men and women.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    When I started, i used free weights for mainly bent and upright rows, shrugs, curls chest, shoulder and tricep presses.

Now I still do all those things, but I've added squats and deadlifts. Let me encourage you to squat. in fact, I'd shout it from the roof tops. SQUAT!!!!! It;'s fantastically killer for your bum and legs. And don't be afraid to deadlift. Awesome for your bum and legs, too, but killer for your core.

Sometimes I do leg extensions or curls or hip ad or abductions but...the squats and deads are really all my legs need.
  • sherborg
    sherborg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I had a (ladies group) trainer for a few years and this definitely is helping me remember what and how to do routines.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    WARNING: VERY LONG POST

I created this for a few other people on here that are also new to weight lifting. Hope it helps. Please excuse any typo's.

Weight lifting routine for a new lifter

My suggestion is to do three sets of three different exercises per muscle group. I will arrange them in this fashion for you here.

• Each set should contain anywhere from 10-12 reps with the last three reps being fairly difficult to complete.
    • If you don’t struggle to complete the last three reps then you need to consider going up in weight.
    • Always make sure that FORM COMES FIRST. If you are struggling to keep your form correct during your set then you need to lower the weight.
    • While you are doing each exercise, keep in mind which muscle you are exercising. Always focus your energy on that muscle and contracting that muscle. Too many people think they can just go through the motion of moving the weight around without paying attention to which muscle they are using to move it.
    • I highly recommend using Google to search for the proper form for each of these exercises as I will be unable to explain the form to you well enough through text.
    • Always remember while doing exercises where you are standing you need to keep your knees soft. NEVER lock your knees. Especially while doing squats as this puts a lots of extra pressure on them.
    • While using machines, do not let the weight “clap” during every rep. If you let the weights meet that means your letting your muscles go to rest between sets.
    • Always try to use a 2 count. Two counts in one direction, two counts in the other. Example: For a bicep curl, curl it up for 2, lower the weight for two. Do not every swing weights. Always keep them under control.
    • Always inhale on the easy part of the lift and exhale on the hard part. Paying attention to breathing also helps you not do the move too fast. If you do it too fast you'll breath too fast and hyperventilate. Don't do that (haha).

Three day a week workout:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Chest:
    1. Bench Press
    2. Dumbbell Press (Can substitute seated fly machine if your gym has one)
    3. Incline Dumbbell Press

Shoulders:
    1. Standing overhead dumbbell press
    2. Arnold’s (Google this. Seated dumbbell press but when you bring them down you twist them to face you in front of your chest)
    3. Straight arm in and out fly (you’ll lose pretty light weight on these. I only use 5 lb. dumbbells)

Triceps:
    1. Kickbacks (one arm at a time or two, either way, just Google correct form)
    2. Overhead tricep extension (hold one dumbbell with both hands)
    3. Tricep push downs (if you have cables in your gym, otherwise you could do dumbbell or barbell skull crushers)

Day 2: Legs

1. Squats (You can do these with the barbell or dumbbells with DON’T lock your legs out at the top and try to get your thighs parallel to the floor every time!)
    2. Walking Lunges (Holding dumbbells, keeping both legs at around 90 degrees when you take a step, and push off with your back leg to work your glutes more. Also, don’t step your feet together between steps, just take long strides into the lunge each time)
    3. Leg extension machine (do not swing the weight up as you do this, make it a two count up and a two count down)
    4. Leg curl machine (Don’t swing the weight or kick yourself in the butt)
    5. Standing calf raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxv2AkNHcE uses this youtube video as a guide for the form, but don’t lock your legs like this guy does. But for this exercise you should do 15 slow, 10 fast for each direction (toes out, forward, and in)

Day 3: Back and Biceps

Back:
    1. Lat pull downs (lats are those “wings” that men get when they’re really big, google it so you know which muscle you’re concentrating on)
    2. Seated row (don’t lock your knees!)
    3. Bent over barbell row (definitely google for form)
    4. Back extension

Biceps:
    1. Alternating bicep curls (elbows stay glued to your side, your arms only move from the elbows down, only bring your arm up a little past parallel to the floor)
    2. Concentration curls
    3. Static Arm Curls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF5L3bkDPak Here is a youtube video to use to understand WHAT you’re doing but DO NOT have the bad form this girl does. She is swinging her body, using her shoulders A LOT and going WAY TOO FAST. So this is an example of how to perform the exercise, albeit badly)

If you only lift weights two days a week then just combine Legs with Back and Biceps.

This is a lot of information but I hope it helps!!! Please let me know if you have questions about ANY of these exercises and I can go into more detail.

This is good ^