Women, tell me your weight lifting routine.

Options

Replies

• _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a simple but effective routine for beginners

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    mine is concentrated on full body compound moves using free weights.

squats - 5x5, 70kg or 155lbs
    lunges - 4x4, 70kg or 155lbs
    deadlifts - 5x5, 66kg or 150lbs.
    bench press - 3x5, 36kg or 80lbs.
    overhead press - 3x5, 36kg or 80lbs.
    barbell rows - 5x5, 36kg or 80lbs.
    weighted planks - 3x40-60 sec. w/ 20kg or 44 lb plate on back
    woodchops - 3x10, 40lb dumbbell or 15 kg (about 38 lbs.) plate
    pushups - 3x15
    pullups/chinups - 3x5
    chest dips - 3x10
    chair dips - 3x20
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WAREAGLE8706: Thank you so much for the rules!!! It's been a while since I lifted and its a great refresher!
  • lese1030
    lese1030 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been following Jamie Eason's bodybuilding.com workouts! But I'm going to look at the book that everyone is recommending!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My foundation is NROL4W, I love it and go back there frequently. I've also done SL 5x5. currently I'm on the "Big Al picks things up and puts them down" program where I make it up as I go along. I am looking at PHAT, so maybe when I'm done with this or feel like I'm spinning my wheels or not making any progress I'll try that. I like variety.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a simple but effective routine for beginners

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

This. Or Starting Strength, or New Rules.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I have been following the New Rulesof Weight Lifting for Women. I absolutely love it so far. And the routines do not take very long.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just started stronglifts 5x5. I'm just 3 sessions in, and loving it. Super simple and effective!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    New rules of weight lifting for women. Best book you can have. Great reference.

Absolutely support this post over anything else. Compound lifts are your best friend....deadlifts, squats, snatches, cleans, thrusters

goooooooooood luck -- what else you can do is going onto Crossfit websites and use their workout routines :)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll defiantly look up the new rules for women book. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's quick, awesome and full body.
  • 21Pontoon
    Options
    I started lifting with my boyfriend, primarily we do bench press, deadlifts, front and back squats and overhead press.
    We slot in different complimentary lifts in between. He does Strong man and is studying sports in uni so I mainly just listen and do. Maybe approaching someone who looks like they know what they're doing in a gym would be a good idea? they may let you train with them x
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    WARNING: VERY LONG POST

I created this for a few other people on here that are also new to weight lifting. Hope it helps. Please excuse any typo's.

Weight lifting routine for a new lifter

My suggestion is to do three sets of three different exercises per muscle group. I will arrange them in this fashion for you here.

• Each set should contain anywhere from 10-12 reps with the last three reps being fairly difficult to complete.
    • If you don’t struggle to complete the last three reps then you need to consider going up in weight.

...editing out the rest for length

Thank you for this! Exactly what I was looking for, a lot of information. I really appreciate it. :)
  • oameyers
    oameyers Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump...I'm reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" now. Can't wait to get to the meat of the book.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I'm doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a good beginner program that hits all the basics: Squats, deadlifts, pressing and pulling exercises, and a lot of core stuff. I hear good things about Stronglifts 5x5 as well (and it looks simpler and requires less equipment).
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I started doing splits 4-5 days a week but have recently switched to a full body routine.

On upper body days I would do bench press, dumbbell flyes, dips, triceps extensions, barbell curl, hammer curl, upright rows, over head press, bent-over rows, single arm rows, and deadlifts.

On lower body days I would do box squats, dumbbell lunges, standing calf raises, hip thrusts, kickbacks, grand plie squats, laying leg raises, side bends, reverse crunches, and planks.

The weight you will start with will be different than mine. I started benching 30lbs and now can bench 80lbs
    Use what is heavy for you. I started with a weight that I could only lift 6-7 times for 3 sets then once that got easy I upped my weight.

New routine I started yesterday Full body 3x a week I will test this out for about 2 months and see how it goes.

Day 1:
    a) Quads - Barbell back squats
    reps: 5/5/5/5/5
    b1) Chest - Incline dumbbell press
    reps: 7/7/7/7
    b2) Calves - Standing calf press
    c1) Hamstrings - Stiff leg deadlifts
    reps: 7/7/7
    c2) Abs - (Weighted) decline sit ups
    d1) Back - (Weighted) wide grip pull-ups
    reps: 10/10/10
    d2) Shoulders - Seated dumbbell shoulder press
    e1) Stretch all your muscles for 10 minutes while sipping your post-workout drink.
    e2) If you are still within your 60 minute workout and have gas left in the tank, do a tricep extension of your choice for 2 sets of 5 reps, or as many diamond push-ups as you can do.

Day 2:
    Off or light cardio.

Day 3:
    a) Chest - Flat bench press
    b1) Quads - Step ups onto a bench or box holding dumbbells
    b2) Abs - Lying leg raises, get your lower back and butt off the floor, try to touch the ceiling with your toes
    reps: 20/20/20/20
    c1) Back/Hamstrings – Standing bent over dumbbell rows
    c2) Calves - Seated calf raises
    d1) Shoulders - Standing dumbbell raises to the side
    d2) Biceps - Standing alternating dumbbell curls
    e1) Stretch all your muscles for 10 minutes while sipping your post-workout drink.
    e2) If you are still within your 60 minute workout and have gas left in the tank, do a hamstring curl machine for 2 sets of 5 reps;or lock your heels under something with the instep of your foot facing down and, starting with your thighs perpendicular to the floor, lower your upper body forward and down a couple degrees then use your hamstrings to pull it back up. I’ll have to see if I can find a picture of this somewhere.

Day 4:
    Off or light cardio.

Day 5:
    a) Hamstrings - Deadlifts
    b1) Shoulders - Standing overhead shoulder press
    b2) Abs - Standing side bends holding dumbbells
    c1) Quads - Alternating barbell lunges
    c2) Triceps/Chest – Decline close grip bench
    d1) Back/Biceps – (Weighted) close grip chin-ups
    d2) Calves – One leg standing calf raise on a 2 inch block or plate holding a dumbbell
    e2) If you are still within your 60 minute workout and have gas left in the tank, do two sets of clapping pushups.
    Day 6 and Day 7:
    Off or light cardio
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    WARNING: VERY LONG POST

I created this for a few other people on here that are also new to weight lifting. Hope it helps. Please excuse any typo's.

Weight lifting routine for a new lifter

My suggestion is to do three sets of three different exercises per muscle group. I will arrange them in this fashion for you here.

• Each set should contain anywhere from 10-12 reps with the last three reps being fairly difficult to complete.
    • If you don’t struggle to complete the last three reps then you need to consider going up in weight.
    • Always make sure that FORM COMES FIRST. If you are struggling to keep your form correct during your set then you need to lower the weight.
    • While you are doing each exercise, keep in mind which muscle you are exercising. Always focus your energy on that muscle and contracting that muscle. Too many people think they can just go through the motion of moving the weight around without paying attention to which muscle they are using to move it.
    • I highly recommend using Google to search for the proper form for each of these exercises as I will be unable to explain the form to you well enough through text.
    • Always remember while doing exercises where you are standing you need to keep your knees soft. NEVER lock your knees. Especially while doing squats as this puts a lots of extra pressure on them.
    • While using machines, do not let the weight “clap” during every rep. If you let the weights meet that means your letting your muscles go to rest between sets.
    • Always try to use a 2 count. Two counts in one direction, two counts in the other. Example: For a bicep curl, curl it up for 2, lower the weight for two. Do not every swing weights. Always keep them under control.
    • Always inhale on the easy part of the lift and exhale on the hard part. Paying attention to breathing also helps you not do the move too fast. If you do it too fast you'll breath too fast and hyperventilate. Don't do that (haha).

Three day a week workout:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

Chest:
    1. Bench Press
    2. Dumbbell Press (Can substitute seated fly machine if your gym has one)
    3. Incline Dumbbell Press

Shoulders:
    1. Standing overhead dumbbell press
    2. Arnold’s (Google this. Seated dumbbell press but when you bring them down you twist them to face you in front of your chest)
    3. Straight arm in and out fly (you’ll lose pretty light weight on these. I only use 5 lb. dumbbells)

Triceps:
    1. Kickbacks (one arm at a time or two, either way, just Google correct form)
    2. Overhead tricep extension (hold one dumbbell with both hands)
    3. Tricep push downs (if you have cables in your gym, otherwise you could do dumbbell or barbell skull crushers)

Day 2: Legs

1. Squats (You can do these with the barbell or dumbbells with DON’T lock your legs out at the top and try to get your thighs parallel to the floor every time!)
    2. Walking Lunges (Holding dumbbells, keeping both legs at around 90 degrees when you take a step, and push off with your back leg to work your glutes more. Also, don’t step your feet together between steps, just take long strides into the lunge each time)
    3. Leg extension machine (do not swing the weight up as you do this, make it a two count up and a two count down)
    4. Leg curl machine (Don’t swing the weight or kick yourself in the butt)
    5. Standing calf raises (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQxv2AkNHcE uses this youtube video as a guide for the form, but don’t lock your legs like this guy does. But for this exercise you should do 15 slow, 10 fast for each direction (toes out, forward, and in)

Day 3: Back and Biceps

Back:
    1. Lat pull downs (lats are those “wings” that men get when they’re really big, google it so you know which muscle you’re concentrating on)
    2. Seated row (don’t lock your knees!)
    3. Bent over barbell row (definitely google for form)
    4. Back extension

Biceps:
    1. Alternating bicep curls (elbows stay glued to your side, your arms only move from the elbows down, only bring your arm up a little past parallel to the floor)
    2. Concentration curls
    3. Static Arm Curls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF5L3bkDPak Here is a youtube video to use to understand WHAT you’re doing but DO NOT have the bad form this girl does. She is swinging her body, using her shoulders A LOT and going WAY TOO FAST. So this is an example of how to perform the exercise, albeit badly)

If you only lift weights two days a week then just combine Legs with Back and Biceps.

This is a lot of information but I hope it helps!!! Please let me know if you have questions about ANY of these exercises and I can go into more detail.

eta: I'm going to try this routine. Thanks so much for sharing!:flowerforyou:
  • bump for later
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    LOVED Stronglifts 5x5. But if you do look into it, start with the group here on myfitnesspal. They are much more supportive (and easy to understand!) than the meathead creator in Belgium :)
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump!