The Scale

Options
Question: I was just told that i shouldn't weigh myself everyday. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    That whoever told you that is one smart cookie. Your weight constantly fluctuates throughout the day. You would drive yourself crazy trying to see your progress. I would suggest weighing in once a week, on the same day each week.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning at the same time... before shower and breakfast, after using the bathroom. It works for me, and helps me gauge what I'll be eating and doing for the balance of the day. Others may disagree or totally agree. I think it's a personal choice. Personally, I'm past menopause so those pesky water weight gains are a non-issue. I also fully understand that there are always fluctuations and I take that into consideration. All of that being said, the scale is only ONE tool in your progress. Logging your food and exercise on MFP is another.
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i only weigh myself once a week on the same day/same time/same outfit. I dont own a scale on purpose..when i did i weighed myself like 2-3 times a day which is absolutely ridiculous! once a week works great for me!
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    I would have to agree with that. It's not about the daily number. There can be too many fluctuations and you can make yourself crazy if you don't see a decline every day. I weigh once a week.
  • purpleroxmysocks
    purpleroxmysocks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I don't think there is a problem with it as long as you don't obsess about it. I like to do it just so I can keep track of my weight. I don't want to gain weight without realizing it because you can put it on pretty fast. I know that it's not going to be the same every time, sometimes its lower, sometimes higher, I don't really care as long as it's in the same range ha
  • littlechrisbad
    Options
    i weigh in everyday. sure its got its ups and downs but there is a pattern that develops over time that you can recognize and you will know before you even step on the scale what to expect. but im a little more obsessive than most when it comes to my day to day routine only because i know it works, plus whos gonna watch the scale if im not...
  • madhousenmich
    madhousenmich Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, When I was in better shape I use to weigh myself everyday and that way I knew I was still on track. When I stopped weighing myself I gained a ton of weight. As long as you realize you are not going to lose weight everyday you are going to be ok weighing everyday. I think the only downer about weighing everyday is you don't see the big number change like you would if you weighed only once a month