Goal Clothes (THE dress)

Options
Has anyone had good experience with finding an item of clothing you LOVE and purchasing it in the size you are working towards as motivation?

I found the perfect dress to pick hubby up from the airport in when he comes home on r&r in July. I'm SO tempted to buy it in the size I hope to be by then but have read mixed reviews on the effectiveness of doing that.

If this worked for you, did you do anything other than buy it? I was thinking about putting pictures of it in the kitchen, in the car, places to remind myself what I am working towards???

TIA :)

Replies

• KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    If is possible I would try it on in my current size just to be sure you like the way it looks on. Personally, I have a style of jeans that I love and I did buy them in my next size down when I knew I was getting close. I hung them in a special area in my closet and tried them on once a week until I liked how they fit. I plan on doing it again because when I didn't like the number on the scale the jeans fitting me made me very happy.:happy:
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i did that several years ago....fell in LOVE with this dress, lost the weight to fit INTO it and then when i was able to put it on, i HATED the way it looked on me.......i would try it on in the size you are now, just to see if you actually LIKE the dress first because you dont want to waste money on a dress that youre not sure youre going to like on you if that makes sense.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm so particular about clothes that I know I couldn't do this. I'll love something on a hanger then try it on and hate it. Because I don't know exactly how my body will look after 10/20/30 lbs etc I could never just grab a size and hope for the best.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    i did that several years ago....fell in LOVE with this dress, lost the weight to fit INTO it and then when i was able to put it on, i HATED the way it looked on me.......i would try it on in the size you are now, just to see if you actually LIKE the dress first because you dont want to waste money on a dress that youre not sure youre going to like on you if that makes sense.

I did. It's perfect. As long as all goes according to plan, lol.
  • ChavezCurse
    Options
    Whether too big or too small this has always backfired on me! I would wait and then purchase one closer to the event. I felt like this while picking out my wedding gown. I had been dieting, losing 2-5 lbs per week so I didn't know which size to order my dress in. I didn't want to order it my current size b/c I didnt want it to fit too big and have it look awful or too small for obvious reasons. I ordered it 3 sizes smaller than my current size and It was a HUGE mistake! I hit a plateau and could not lose anymore weight on time for my wedding. Luckily, I was able to modify the dress and I still loved it, but I would never do anything like this at all. I'm sure you will find another dress to fall in love with closer to your event.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If I was you I would buy the dress in your size. Wear it, love it, then buy a new dress for your man once you drop a few sizes. You will want to go shopping once you are at your goal anyway! But buy the dress you love, no harm in feeling great before you get to your goal, if anything it will remind you how far you have come!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I have purchased jeans when I knew I was close to getting into them, as well as t-shirts and such in smaller sizes. I would be careful about a dress though because the shape of your body can change so much as you lose weight that you may not like it when you get to that size.

I think it works well when you really like the item, but I wouldn't advise it if the item is expensive and you'll feel bad if you don't like it once you can fit into it. I tend to stick to cheaper items to work toward so I won't feel bad if they never fit me right.

Whether you buy the dress or not, good luck!
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I like the idea in general, just not the deadline. As the poor gal with the wedding dress pointed out, it's not always the best idea to assume your body will do what you plan on your schedule. Look at it this way - if you get down to the size you are hoping to, I'll bet you find a LOT more clothes that you fall in love with. I went shopping yesterday and haven't left a store with that many clothes in a LONG time, just because it all looked better on me than it did before.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    I like the idea in general, just not the deadline. As the poor gal with the wedding dress pointed out, it's not always the best idea to assume your body will do what you plan on your schedule. Look at it this way - if you get down to the size you are hoping to, I'll bet you find a LOT more clothes that you fall in love with. I went shopping yesterday and haven't left a store with that many clothes in a LONG time, just because it all looked better on me than it did before.
    Just FYI, I am not so unrealistic to believe that I could lose all 34 lb by July! Impossible. I'm hoping to lose half that. I can't buy the dress in my current size because my girls don't look right in it. I am also having breast reduction June 1, so I am factoring that into it fitting well and it not making me look pregnant, as it does now. It's kind of flowy and right now my chest holds it WAY out, all the way down, lol. It's not expensive, so the money isn't really the issue, it's more that I NEVER find clothes I like, so finding this was kind of a big deal...still I am cheap and HATE to waste money, so I'll wait. Thanks guys :)