Eating before early morning workout?

Options
I work out most mornings at 6am and have never had a problem going on an empty stomach, but am starting to wonder if it's actually helping or hurting me. I've found sources online that support both sides, but what's best when it comes to weight loss!? Any feedback would be great, thanks!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For the vast majority it won't matter at all. For already lean people who have issues with fatty acid mobilization, fasted training "might" be beneficial.

I would absolutely go with personal preference and performance on this issue.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What SS said. It's about preference.

I'm not a fan of eating before a work out or in the early morning. It doesn't hinder my ability to complete my exercise or weight loss.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Training fasted will not hurt your weight loss, especially if you do not have performance issues by doing so.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I tend to train fasted. otherwise I feel sloshy or sluggish, But WEWFY.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:00 am have a protein shake with creatine, L-Glutamine, and C4. Work out for an hour and immediately have another shake of the same mix without the C4. get to work and eat some oatmeal for the carbs to balance my glucose levels and help with the muscle repair.

Edit: I am losing weight just fine, while retaining muscle.
  • jctillman70
    Options
    I also agree it is personal preference.

I work out at 5 am during the week. I used to work out on an empty stomach but as I got closer to my goal I started reaching plateaus more frequently and I also started having a difficult time finishing my workouts with intensity. I then started eating just 10 almonds before my work out and I broke through the plateau and had a lot more energy to finish my work out especially when lifting heavy weights.

I think you should listen to your body and do what works best for you.

Good luck.
  • DeMayr
    DeMayr Posts: 67
    Options
    I workout at 6 am as well and never eat before a workout simply because I don't feel like making anything and am not hungry. It really doesn't make a difference unless you are having performance issues like someone had mentioned.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long and how hard you plan to work out . For a 30-45 minute workout of moderate intensity it doesn't matter
    If I plan on an intense workout of an hour or more I like to have 30-40 grams of rapidly absorbed carbohydrates to make sure I don't bonk.

My favorite is to drink a 16 ounce mug of super strong coffee wit 2 tablespoons of honey. The caffeine gets you going and promotes the release of free fatty acids and the sugar in the honey is good fuel
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Training fasted will not hurt your weight loss, especially if you do not have performance issues by doing so.

This. Some people don't have the energy if they don't eat. It does seem to matter for me.