My Fitness Pal Verses Weight Watch on the go Program

Options
I have been on the online Weight Watchers on the go for about 5 years now. I have been on Myfitnessplan for about 4 days. I am totally shocked at the differences. Weight Watchers does not have a bar code to find foods. There finder method you generalize your exercise with My Fitness you are specific down to the actual equipment. And that is just a few differences. Oh yes and WW costs about $19 a month verses the free and more complete program. with My Fitness Plan

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have been on the online Weight Watchers on the go for about 5 years now. I have been on Myfitnessplan for about 4 days. I am totally shocked at the differences. Weight Watchers does not have a bar code to find foods. There finder method you generalize your exercise with My Fitness you are specific down to the actual equipment. And that is just a few differences. Oh yes and WW costs about $19 a month verses the free and more complete program. with My Fitness Plan

That's what I am finding too. I have a monthly Pass to WW which gives me access to the meetings and the on-line tools - cost is about $58 a month. Right after signing up I came across MFP and decided to try it out. I am currently logging on both sites until the end of February to see which one I like the best. It's only been about a week on MFP but so far it seems to be the clear winner.

I also find that there are some really knowlegable MFP members who contribute a great deal on the forums. I am learning a lot from them. :smile:
  • lexielexie40
    Options
    I am deciding to leave the other site and try myfitnesspal for good.
  • ctlinj7
    ctlinj7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - WW does offer a barcode app for foods - free with etools. I've only been with WW since Sept and been with MFP for 500+ days :)

Welcome!! Just remember half the crap you read in the forums is not true or it leads to arguments about eating back exercise calories or not....... you'll see what I mean! :)
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You might also want to check out the WW group here on MFP that I belong too, lots of great info and there's a script you can use in the food section that tracks your points too
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI - WW does offer a barcode app for foods - free with etools. I've only been with WW since Sept and been with MFP for 500+ days :)

Welcome!! Just remember half the crap you read in the forums is not true or it leads to arguments about eating back exercise calories or not....... you'll see what I mean! :)

While there are often debates and arguments, the forums are a great place to get ideas and learn. You simply need to be careful. But I have learned so much about BMR, TDEE, and things I never considered before. Then you do your own research and do what works for you.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options

While there are often debates and arguments, the forums are a great place to get ideas and learn. You simply need to be careful. But I have learned so much about BMR, TDEE, and things I never considered before. Then you do your own research and do what works for you.

I totally agree. Some stuff is crap and there are people with bad manners here. But I wouldn't be where I am now without the forums!!

I did WW years ago and did the online thing again at the beginning of last year along side MFP. I learned many things through this process, but the most important thing I learned was to do my research and not depend on a website, or program to tell me what to eat and exercise.

WW makes it easy to lose, but make sure you prepare yourself on what to do once you lose all the weight.
  • gentriginus
    Options
    I was on WW for a month and a half, and didn't lost that much weight. I think it was about 17 lbs. After switching to MFP I've lost a little over thirty. Personally, I find it much more applicable to see how many calories that I'm intaking and burning off rather than the points system. It brings a real life perspective in, and helps me to make smarter decisions about when and what I eat.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    MFP works; it's free; and it encourages you to learn for yourself instead of relying on being told what to eat. MFP wins.
  • rockymtnlove
    Options
    i tried WW and HATED it with a firey passion. I LOVE MFP because it is so easy to use!!
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Pay them so you can count to 20 or count to 2,000 for free.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have been on the online Weight Watchers on the go for about 5 years now. MFP but so far it seems to be the clear winner.

I'd say so if you've been doing it for 5 years and still haven't reached your goal...
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    mfp is GREAT! its on-the-go, its free, u have friends, topics its GREAT
  • Deedeeshead222
    Options
    Agreed..I just joined an Love the site and the app
  • mwownbey
    Options
    Just joined today and hoping that this will help me. Will be starting a 6 week Physical Fitness Challenge (3 nights a week) next Monday so hoping the combo can jumpstart me!!! Looking forward to exploring the website and learning lots of great info from all the folks that have been at this for a while!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I totally agree. Some stuff is crap and there are people with bad manners here. But I wouldn't be where I am now without the forums!!

I did WW years ago and did the online thing again at the beginning of last year along side MFP. I learned many things through this process, but the most important thing I learned was to do my research and not depend on a website, or program to tell me what to eat and exercise.

WW makes it easy to lose, but make sure you prepare yourself on what to do once you lose all the weight.

I think most of the arguments stem from the minute details and science part of weight loss. For beginners, eating better, staying at your recommended calories and a bit of exercise will do the trick.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've done WW on and off for a while (did it properly 10 years ago when I needed to lose stop-smoking-weight and then put myself on "points" for a few weeks now and then to lose a few pounds).

Found MFP in Sept 2012 and love it. For a start, I was always HUNGRY doing WW cos it relies so much on low-fat options. I would never have dreamed of eating scrambled eggs for breakfast, or putting avocado on my sandwich!

And I would eat metric ****loads of salad and steramed veggies - which I love anyway - because it was zero points. Now that I log, I know that a huge bowl of broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, peas etc is probably around 150 cals. My theory is WW makes vegies free so people actually eat theam, but that was never my issue - as I mentioned, I love veggies!

And when you get closer to goal on WW, it REDUCES your points, whereas on MFP I was upping cals. Yippee!

And....free :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

And I would eat metric ****loads of salad and steramed veggies - which I love anyway - because it was zero points. Now that I log, I know that a huge bowl of broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, peas etc is probably around 150 cals. My theory is WW makes vegies free so people actually eat theam, but that was never my issue - as I mentioned, I love veggies!

Also, I bet their logic is that if you can eat as much vegetables as you want, there's no room for higher calorie stuff like a doughnut. Try going over your calories eating vegetables all day.
  • nikknack12
    nikknack12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just this week I started MFP after contemplating WW online. I was on WW several years ago and while I had success, I just can't bring myself to have to pay for what I know I should be doing. Like some others on here, I also record my whole days meals and adjust if needed before closing my food diary for the day. It makes me be accountable to myself. I've read several posts by people who were on the fence between the two programs. Most ended up here with MFP (or some combo of the two). There is a lot of support here. Support from people who are knowledgeable, have gone through the same issues, and offer help for free! I'm thankful to have found MFP.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Also, I bet their logic is that if you can eat as much vegetables as you want, there's no room for higher calorie stuff like a doughnut. Try going over your calories eating vegetables all day.

True that. But I promise I can eat A LOT of veggies (esp salad) and if my points allowed it - esp if I had saved and earned enough during the week, I would have room for the doughnut as well . :tongue: