Kitchen Scales

Options
Any suggestions about what features I should be looking for in a kitchen scale? I have never bought one before.

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I think it should weight grams, onces, have a tare setting (zero it out after putting a plate on it) and cost less than $35.

check out amazon.com
  • helhedded
    helhedded Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Go for one with a 10lb capacity (you can never have too much and the scale will come into use for other projects) and make sure that it reads in Grams, ounces and pounds. I spent around $20 for mine at walmart.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I think it should weight grams, onces, have a tare setting (zero it out after putting a plate on it) and cost less than $35.

Exactly this - implies it's digital too. Cheapie spring scales are useless.
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Exactly this - implies it's digital too. Cheapie spring scales are useless.

I agree with both of the above!! I just got a digital kitchen scale that reads out in ounces, grams, or pounds, and that has the tare function....I love tare and use it all the time, it makes it great to place a bowl on the scale, zero it out, and then add the ingredient in the bowl and measure it that way, rather than subtracting the weight of the bowl afterward or putting ingredients right on the scale. Digital is the way to go, for sure. And as an added bonus, when mine is turning on, it reads "HI" on the display. I say hi back!
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just recently got my own digital kitchen scale and I love it. It can weigh up to 16 lbs, and has a fairly large weighing area (about 7x7) so that I can pretty much always see the screen. Weighs in grams, ounces, and pounds.

Got it at Bed Bath and Beyond, but I have seen good models in Target as well.

Definitely worth using though! I love being able to weight out my recipes to more accurately determine servings when I create my own food. I also was overestimating my protiens and that is a thing of the past.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I bought one by STARFRIT at Canaidan Tire reg 24.99 for 9.99 it has grams oz LBS and kg.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I first started watching what I eat, I bought The Biggest Loser scale simply becuase I believed that the name meant quality. Well fortunately, it did in this case! It does everything that everyone above recommends but is pretty compact so I can tuck it away when I'm not using it.
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have this one and love it. http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Stainless-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA

It has a pull out where the numbers are in case you're using a big bowl that gets in the way. I just saw it on sale at Bed, Bath and Beyond for half price.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    i got this one:
    http://www.amazon.ca/Cuisinart-KS-55C-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B002RS5NN2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357321560&sr=8-4
    for $20... it's digital, has a "tare" function, and you can switch between metric/imperial... it's been all i've needed so far.
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eatsmart precision digital. This is an awesome scale for $25 on amazon and delivered in one day
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Digital is the way to go, for sure. And as an added bonus, when mine is turning on, it reads "HI" on the display. I say hi back!
    [/quote]

:laugh:
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Little offtopic but when i weigh my chicken raw it's 2 oz heavier then after its cooked. Obviously I understand why that's the case but just curious of which weight i should be logging..Anyone?
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Little offtopic but when i weigh my chicken raw it's 2 oz heavier then after its cooked. Obviously I understand why that's the case but just curious of which weight i should be logging..Anyone?

If you understand why, then you already know the answer.
  • AyySixPack
    AyySixPack Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Would it be possibke to find a scale like this in a 99 cents store ?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

check out amazon.com

Agreed. I got mine on Ebay for like 7.95. It's a generic one, but it's almost exactly like the Biggest Loser kitchen sales that are like $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

Would it be possibke to find a scale like this in a 99 cents store ?

Unless you want one that will be a complete piece of crap and stop working after one use.
  • soberhofer
    soberhofer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use this one - its dead simple to use. Its light and fairly small so its highly convenient to use. I have it in arms reach of my food prep area.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/dp/B001N0D7GA
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    First of all, it should be digitial, with a weight option in ounces and grams, and a tare setting so you can get the true weight of your food, vs plate and food. I got my kitchen scale free when I bought my digital body monitor from Tanita... and I love it! It's so helpful to get a good grasp on just exacly how much chicken you are eating, or how much sweet potato, etc.
  • babeinthemoon
    babeinthemoon Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    depends on how much you want to spend. For years I used a digital scale that weighed down to 2g increments (1/8oz), and could weigh up to about 3-4 pounds. I wanted a more precise scale.. but didn't want to pay for it. But I got one for Christmas! Love my kids.. I guess they actually do listen every once in a while.

Since I do a lot of bulk cooking, and find that sometimes weighing ingredients is easier than measureing cups, I had the following wish list:

precise to 1g
    weighs more than 5 pounds at a time.. up to about 10 pounds
    has a button to switch from g to oz on the top

I don't know how much my hubby spent, but it was around $40 I'm sure. The scale I have has a room thermometer, and is easy to tare as well. Love it!
  • Shara126
    Shara126 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I got a great one for 10$ at Aldi. They don't have them all the time, but keep your eye out in the sale ads. I have seen them for sale twice there in the last year