Quit smoking and weight gain

Options
Hi i'm new to this and wanted to introduce myself, I am 42 and have gained 3 stone over the last 3 years, I was always lucky enough not to gain weight but due to illness and being at home a lot I have gained sofa weight (as I call it ) I gained 1 stone of that last time I gave up smoking so started again hoping to lose the weight but never did. Now I have quit again nearly 4 weeks now but am starting to gain more weight again so joined this to try and help with losing the weight but with lack of exercise due to not being able to go out much its taking a long time, I'm hoping that recording all my meals will help me to cut out the things I don't need. If anyone has any tips on quiting smoking and not gaining weight it would be helpful or if you have any advice, this too would be helpful. :smile:

Replies

• CFam5
    CFam5 Posts: 24
    Options
    This is not an extremely helpful response; however, you are not alone! I have been tracking my food seriously for the past two weeks and just quit smoking. I've noticed that since I've quit, I've gained almost three pounds! I cannot figure it out because I haven't changed my calorie consumption. I'm wondering if our bodies need time to adjust?
  • RamTraveler
    Options
    I quit smoking on Christmas Eve, using the patches. I have lost 3 lbs! Whenever I feel the urge to smoke, I tell myself that this will pass in 30 seconds to 1 minute....then I eat about 5 almonds or 3-4 baked Kale leaves with kosher salt, olive oil (spray) and onion or garlic powder. Somehow, the salt takes away the craving for me! Hope this helps! I am also walking a mile on the treadmill every day, or close to it! lol I'm here for your support! We can do this!!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. And I have LOST 21 pounds. Just think what you could do if you didn't smoke.Don't wait until it's to late and you can't undo the damage done to your wonderful body! Love yourself totally! Good Luck!
  • mccanntj
    Options
    I am having a HUGE problem with trying to quit smoking and weight gain.. if i'm not smoking I'm eating... I feel your pain!!!
  • Merlin569
    Merlin569 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is not an extremely helpful response; however, you are not alone! I have been tracking my food seriously for the past two weeks and just quit smoking. I've noticed that since I've quit, I've gained almost three pounds! I cannot figure it out because I haven't changed my calorie consumption. I'm wondering if our bodies need time to adjust?

I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago. I gained 40 lbs. Nicotine is a drug that accelerates your heart rate. That makes your body burn calories easier. Sucks, yes.... Doctor says that those of us that quit smoke have to work harder to get our calories burned so that we can lose weight. (Fabulous, huh?)
  • Jizes318
    Jizes318 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quit. I just put in an order for vapor cigarettes. I really hope to kick it as well without destroying what I am trying to do here. I think we can do it!!!
  • KarenJ15
    KarenJ15 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am trying to quit. I just put in an order for vapor cigarettes. I really hope to kick it as well without destroying what I am trying to do here. I think we can do it!!!
    You can do it!! I smoked for 31 years and quit last spring with the help of the E-cigs (vapor cigs). I relied on them for a few months, with no nicotine (you can choose the level of nicotine in the flavored liquid if you get that kind) and then I didn't need them anymore.

The hardest thing was the triggers for smoking (for me it was getting on the phone, having a cup of coffee, having a glass of wine or after dinner). I avoided the wine for a while (I actually didn't like the taste for a bit) but tried to find other things to do while on the phone.

There are great quitting apps for the iPhone and Android phones. And ones to help motivate you not to give in to your cravings. Those helped me tremendously too.

I did gain weight, but I had already been putting on weight before that, so I was even more discouraged. When I found this site and became dedicated to it, that's what finally helped with the weight. :)
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me I needed to focus on quitting smoking before I could even worry about my weight. Part of my weight gain from the last few years has been due to several attempts to give up smoking and eating more food in the process. I didn't worry about it at the time because the most important thing was for me to stop smoking and I allowed myself to eat treats to reward myself. You could try and start exercising more, maybe going for walks. How about trying to eat better food to snack on. Well done though on quitting smoking. That is a great acheivement.
  • sarahnutter
    Options
    Hi

I am 43 and an ex-smoker. I gave up a month before christmas, 5 years ago. I was my ideal weight and a small frame. Having tried unsuccessfully to give up on several occasions. Each time I tried I put on weight and it did bother me. When I set a date to give up the final time, I decided to not worry about weight gain, just concentrate on giving up the weed. As time rolled by, I went from 135lbs to 188lbs in just under four years, eek, run for the hills. I lost a few pounds before being ill and was steady for a while and lost a few more pounds before an op, I am now about 172lbs aiming to get back to the 135 ish mark.

Good luck giving up smoking, it is a very good life choice to stop.

Motivation tip is to look at horrible pictures of tarred lungs on-line :(
  • juebags999
    Options

When you quit smoking your metabilism slows down so I think thats why we gain weight apparently it is normal to put on a few pounds as your body is adjusting to the changes apparently drinking Green tea can help or certain other teas that can speed up the metabilism.
  • juebags999
    Options
    I quit smoking on Christmas Eve, using the patches. I have lost 3 lbs! Whenever I feel the urge to smoke, I tell myself that this will pass in 30 seconds to 1 minute....then I eat about 5 almonds or 3-4 baked Kale leaves with kosher salt, olive oil (spray) and onion or garlic powder. Somehow, the salt takes away the craving for me! Hope this helps! I am also walking a mile on the treadmill every day, or close to it! lol I'm here for your support! We can do this!!

Thanks for the support, I might try some of the things you have mentioned, but i've found it quit easy to quit smoking this time but have substituted it with food but I have been reading Allen Carrs books on quiting smoking for good and the weight one and it makes a lot of sense and have helped a lot, I think I was ready to quit as my health was getting worse but am feeling much better after a few weeks of quitting :smile:
  • juebags999
    Options
    As a smoker for 45 years I can tell you it took a stay in the ICU with blood clots in my heart and legs to get me to quit. I quit Jan 26, 2012 and I can do so much more than I ever could. And I have LOST 21 pounds. Just think what you could do if you didn't smoke.Don't wait until it's to late and you can't undo the damage done to your wonderful body! Love yourself totally! Good Luck!

Well done on quitting after 45 years, i am a 30 year smoker and have quit many times but think this was the right time and haven't found it so bad as i have done in the past, I can do so much more since I quit have more money to buy nice things and my health is improving so won't be going back to the addiction of smoking again :smile:
  • juebags999
    Options
    Thank you all for your positive words and your encouragement. Anyone who is going though the same thing you are welcome to add me as a friend and we can all go through it together :happy: plus as i'm new to this site would be good to make some friends as my list is quite empty :laugh:
  • hello_sherri
    hello_sherri Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I just ordered an ecigarette and it came on New Years Eve so I tried it. It took a but of getting used to, but I really like it and I've noticed that my breathing is better (I was recently diagnosed with asthma and I have terrible allergies). It was hard to think about being able to exercise with the way my breathing was. I feel a difference in my breathing even though I'm only a few days in. I started these two huge endeavors for New Year's and it's going well so far.

One suggestion: you may want to watch some YouTube videos to help you when you get it. At first I felt like I wasn't getting enough vapor and didn't feel like I was doing it right. The videos really helped. You do smoke it a little differently but within a couple of hours I had it down and I'm doing well. It satisfies the nicotine craving and has the same behavioral component of smoking. Then you can lower your nicotine dose over time. Also they have some great deals on Living Social and Groupon ($25 for $100+ kits).

Hope this helps! Feel free to add me and we can support each other.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I could just cry. I have worked SO HARD this past year to lose the weight I have lost. I decided I wanted to be better at running, and I wanted to quit smoking. I quit over a month ago and I am literally, losing my mind because I can't stop eating... my mouth just seems to NEED something to chomp on, and my sweet tooth is INSANE.

I am just freaking out because so many people I know gained a substantial amount of weight after they quit, 40+ lbs..

My cravings are worse than they were my first week of quitting.. I just feel like buying a pack of cigarettes and going back to my regular routine.. this is driving me nuts.

Anyone have any helpful tips at all? I'm so sluggish and I feel awful!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I totally know what you mean, when I first gave up smoking i found I wanted to do something every 15-40 mins like have another cake or packet of crisps. Seriously hard habit to break.

have you tried sugar free lolly pops or ice lollies?? Ice lollies are one off my diet saviors I rave about often.There are loads out there that are about 50-100cals so I have one most evenings when I feel bored and like snacking

stay strong, you can do it!! oh and make sure you are drinking plenty of water, i used to hate it, but quite like it now

good luck

Also my friends and I gave up at around the same time and refer to thoughts and things that make you want to smoke as the nicotine monster - these are not things YOU really want but the nicotine monster will find anyway to get you to smoke i.e."it's ok I can stop again later" "I will just have a couple tonight" "if I only smoke when I am at.........it does not count"
    Sounds a bit daft but really helps me seperate what I want and what is just addiction to nicotine. I am 4+ years since quitting,you can do it!!!!
  • nsbrwttt
    nsbrwttt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may sound like the stupidest advice ever, but when I quit smoking, I used these little things called 'microtabs'

They were basically a tiny little, chalky tablet that you place under your tongue. You then it keep under there until it dissolves and the nicotine releases into your body.

Well, they were disgusting, they made me feel so sick that I didn't like smoking or eating.

That wasn't exactly the strategy they were going for but it worked nonetheless.

Good luck
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I totally know what you mean, when I first gave up smoking i found I wanted to do something every 15-40 mins like have another cake or packet of crisps. Seriously hard habit to break.

have you tried sugar free lolly pops or ice lollies?? Ice lollies are one off my diet saviors I rave about often.There are loads out there that are about 50-100cals so I have one most evenings when I feel bored and like snacking

stay strong, you can do it!! oh and make sure you are drinking plenty of water, i used to hate it, but quite like it now

good luck

Also my friends and I gave up at around the same time and refer to thoughts and things that make you want to smoke as the nicotine monster - these are not things YOU really want but the nicotine monster will find anyway to get you to smoke i.e."it's ok I can stop again later" "I will just have a couple tonight" "if I only smoke when I am at.........it does not count"
    Sounds a bit daft but really helps me seperate what I want and what is just addiction to nicotine. I am 4+ years since quitting,you can do it!!!!

Thank you so much, any advice is good advice haha.

Lately my #1 thought is.. " they helped me stay focused".. I only smoked 3-5 a day, but they were appetite KILLERS.. and that's why I feel like I should just go back to smoking them.. But I HATE defeat so, i still haven't reached for that pack.. I really don;t want to.

I was reading online that the average smoker burns about 250 MORE calories a day than A non-smoker would.. because smoking increases your heart rate.. So now I have it in my head that I am basically eating an additional 250 calories a day... I feel like weight gain is inevitable.

I guess all I can do it just hope and pray that this passes quickly.. being healthy is the hardest thing I have ever done in my damn life lol.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    This may sound like the stupidest advice ever, but when I quit smoking, I used these little things called 'microtabs'

They were basically a tiny little, chalky tablet that you place under your tongue. You then it keep under there until it dissolves and the nicotine releases into your body.

Well, they were disgusting, they made me feel so sick that I didn't like smoking or eating.

That wasn't exactly the strategy they were going for but it worked nonetheless.

Good luck

LOL that is just awful!!

Microtabs?! I'll research it just for the heck of it, but I really don't want to get sick LOL.. but thank you.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Check this out for inspiration
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1052845-fat-smoker-to-triathlete

I definately felt like my metabolism did slow down when I gave up smoking, but stick with the exercise and you can keep it up!!!