Pulling in and holding your stomach...

Options
...does this help at all? I know people stand and do bum squeezes (butt clenches) and this is supposed to tone the bum, but if I'm lying in bed or just standing doing the cooking, will this help to tone my stomach muscles?

Probably a stupid question...bring on the sarcastic and degrading replies. :glasses:

Replies

• PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about that.

But I do know that I LOVE your ticker.
  • Beckycm1971
    Beckycm1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do it to help make sure my posture is correct. But I'm sure that just holding them tight is helpful.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    It can't hurt. It certainly will strengthen your abdominals to actively flex/engage them. Will it give you a 6 pack? I'm sure not.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My physio told me last week the best thing I could do to help myself( i have back problem) is to basically suck in and draw in all my tummy muscles and keep doing that when Im walking, sitting driving etc. Its much better than crunches. x
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It does help, actually! At the very least it helps your posture.

How can engaging a muslce repeatedly NOT help strengthen it some? It may not be an awful lot, but I don't think that you're expecting that....are you?
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not going to hurt! I think it's good idea, particularly if you need to work on your posture.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    should help you strengthen and engage your core muscles, but "toning" no. The only way to see your ab muscles are to lose the layer of fat, which cannot be targeted to any specific area. We all have 6 packs, just most of us have a layer of fat over them.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time but it is because after giving birth to 6 kids, if I do not hold it in I get a rounded tummy. It also help with posture.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Maybe a little... Crunches and leg lifts are better. Anything that offers resistance will do something to develop firmness. The degree of help depends on the amount of resistance.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ...does this help at all? I know people stand and do bum squeezes (butt clenches) and this is supposed to tone the bum, but if I'm lying in bed or just standing doing the cooking, will this help to tone my stomach muscles?

Probably a stupid question...bring on the sarcastic and degrading replies. :glasses:

Yes it will help strengthen the muscles. You can also do abdominal vacuum exercises. It will not spot reduce fat in the area though.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think of it more as a postural and back-protection aid. It is good for your back and form if you can make it almost second-nature when you walk or do things that could injure your back.

It also helps to be abe to tense your muscles to perform exercises like planks and pushups.
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    My barre instructors are constantly reminding us to "pull your tummy up under your ribs" so it must help something!
  • danner13
    danner13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It can at least help you strengthen your core. I attended a women's health conference last month and during one of the presentations a doctor suggested doing this and incorporating things like lunges and calf raises into activities like grocery shopping or doing laundry. Sounds like a great way to sneak in some exercise for busy people!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I am willing to help with clinching your bottom..I mean that is what MFP is for right?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    should help you strengthen and engage your core muscles, but "toning" no. The only way to see your ab muscles are to lose the layer of fat, which cannot be targeted to any specific area. We all have 6 packs, just most of us have a layer of fat over them.

So true!! And why is it that tummy fat is the hardest to get rid of? I work out (both cardio and strength), and stay withn my nutritional goals. And my legs and arms get skinnier (and more toned, which I like), and my butt gets smaller. But the abs. . . .? Stay the same. I think my arms and legs will be like toothpicks before I lose the layer of fat on my abs! I've given up and will just look at fat percentage, etc.

But I do try to hold it in. It just looks better!
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This was the first thing my PT told me to do in my first session. As often as possible. It strengthens your core, corrects your posture, and helps support your back. It's definitely not as good as other ab workouts, but it will definitely help in those areas!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    not as much as deadlifts will.
  • llpleslie
    Options
    I think it helps. My surgen and doctor told me, due to stomach issues I could not do planks or crunches, or any other straining on my stomach muscles. My only option is walking around sucking my gut in. Thought about using a stomach girrdle that the surgen gave me to try and attempt some kind of stomach exercises for the new year.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    The method behind the madness
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i sucked my gut in for years I promise it doesnt help a bit LOL