Want to see what I've eaten today???

Options
Hi everyone, happy Friday!
I absolutely love this site, I love the motivation and being around like-minded, positive people! However, I've currently been thinking about whether or not to publish my food diary.
Do people find it a motivational thing to do?
Do people use the fact that they DO publish their food diary a weight loss tool in itself? For example, am I going to think, I can't have that packet of crisps because I don't want my mfp friends to judge me...

Or am I just thinking too much into things......?!!! X

Replies

• Checkiy
    Checkiy Posts: 12
    Options
    I've taken to stalking the success stories board, looking for people who're now similar to how I want to look and seeing if their diaries are open for me to copy .. most are closed though. So, yeah, it could be helpful to some.
  • I like being able to see people's diaries because I'm not going to compliment them on being under their goal if they've eaten 500 calories worth of chocolate that day and nothing else. I also like getting meal ideas from it.
    As for my diary, personally I think it'd be a bit crap of me to want to see all the other diaries and not share mine.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's up to you, and there are many reasons both for and against.

What annoys me is if people ask for advice on their diet on the message boards, but have closed diaries or profiles. It's much easier to give some useful suggestions if you can see what the perosn is actually eating.

Some users find it makes them more accountable if they know people can see what they are eating - but then some just don't record the naughty stuff.

Some people find it attracts comments on what they should be eating - so if you're very sensitive to criticism, even if it's well meant and constructive, then it may not be for you.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think that if you feel it will help you to reach your goals to put out there what you have eaten then go for it. This program is based on helping one another and finding the help that we need as individuals. Everyone's needs are different.
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've seen people before say that they don't want their diary open because the don't want to be judged. I've never thought of it this way. That's why we're here, to lose weight and monitor what we eat and we will get better results when we are held accountable, in my opinion.

But people have also pointed out that this might lead to not being honest when we log, but you are only cheating yourself. If your friends are going to bust you on eating a cheat meal or snack, they might need to relax a little lol. Having these cheat meals or snacks and logging them is a good thing--it makes you see how many bad calories are involved and can lead to better choices later.

Now, if I'm eating 3 fast food meals a day and a tub of ice cream for dessert and post that this site doesn't work because I'm gaining weight, then my friends might want to show the way!
  • relledge
    Options
    I publish my food diary...I think it's a great way to share your success with others. If you are having problems losing weight or can't figure out what to change your diet it allows your MFP friends to look at your diary and help you out. It also gives you ideas of what to eat or meals to make. Be honest when you judge we are all on this website for the same reason....to get healthier. No one should be judging you....and personally who cares what everyone else thinks. It's your body and your diet...
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    It's not an irrevocable decision. If you open it and folks comments freak you out, you can change it back. My suggestion is to let people see it. How else can they support or suggest or advise you, should you stumble?
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    In most situations, I do feel very judged, but I am lucky to have some very good MFP friends who are not like that at all. I make my diary visible to friends only and am careful about who I add. If someone was too negative or judgmental, I would just delete them, but I don't think I've ever had to do that. I log everything I eat, from huge binges and dinners out to my not-so-high days. I have logged stuff that would be very shaming, except my friends go through the same thing. That's what's nice about having the diary; it not only keeps me accountable, but it helps me see that I'm not alone and that everyone "messes up" (although I think that some "mistakes" like the bag of crisps you mentioned are really just occasional indulgences we should expect and work in to our lifestyle). Furthermore, most of my friends don't even comment on my food diaries anymore. I have around 40 MFP friends, so I certainly don't read all their diaries, either. It's up to you, but I have found it more helpful than anything to have my diary open to my friends; no one has ever been rude or demeaning to me about my choice of foods, even on days I've gone over a thousand calories over my limit. It's just a good tool to have if you're asking your friends how to work in more protein or to stay feeling full throughout the day, etc. It's hard to really know someone/ be "friends" on a fitness site if you have no idea what exercise/foods they enjoy on a daily basis. But if you aren't sure, just keep it closed for a while and read other people's diaries while you consider making yours viewable. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends but not the public. It really is just a personal preference. If you decide to ask for help in the forums though you probably need to have it open for that.
  • skkdash
    skkdash Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it is helpful to see others diary. I just made mine public. I think it would help so that we can help each other with snack/ meal ideas...... Plus if your friends judge you they are not really "friends". If I saw that I would just help by encouraging you to work out for an extra couple minutes :)
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    honestly, I have mine open and like when others do. When I look into someones food diary I am looking for good healthy choices for me. I have found a few good food choices I would have never thought of this way. mainly from those in my friends list, after they complete their diary for the day.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like viewing diaries. I like getting ideas for food that I may not have thought to eat on my own.

I can't admonish someone for going over their calorie count that day, if it's what works for them, then so be it. On the other side, don't eat over your calorie goal every single day with no working out and complain that you aren't losing weight or inches.

My food diary is quite uninspired. With viewing others diaries, it shall change. :happy:
  • Justkritter
    Justkritter Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me its nice and normal to give yourself a break once a week and eat those stuff that you want in moderation. I mean if like you want to eat ice cream and somehow in your diet plan you have enough to fit it in then by all means go ahead. Just follow the proper serving and all and don't overdo it. For me since following the macro/micro nutrients are really a must so if ever I say went out to buy some grocery and feel like grabbing a cheeseburger and there's enough to squeeze that in that won't destroy my plan then I'm gonna go get it. Don't let other people judge you since most of what works for you may not work for others, so just be confident about what your eating and doing. It doesn't mean eating one serving of ice cream or a bag chips will make you fat since you don't technically gain it with a bag or serving of those.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I share mine because it keeps me accountable. Not because I fear being shamed or anything else. And I honestly appreciate the feedback I get from my friends.

Good luck!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed because I think I'll be LESS likely to be honest if other people can see it. Also because I have had eating disorders in the past. So I would say it's a personal thing - whatever helps you the most to be honest and accountable.

Like someone above said, if you do decide to ask for advice on the forums about a specific diet question, be sure to open up the diary before.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed. I don't need to be accountable to anyone else, and so far, I haven't needed any advice on what to eat. If that changes, I'll open it.
  • emilynw10
    Options
    Mine's open. I track most of my stuff. Mine isn't the best one to copy though because I have multiple food allergies. Also, some of my entries aren't in English.