• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    How often do you want to weigh in?
  • raylener
    raylener Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How often do you want to weigh in?

It doesn't matter to me. I just keep hearing some people weigh in every day and some people weigh in every week. I also hear that it's not good to weigh in everyday because your weight fluctuates and it can be frusturating. I am new at this, so i have no idea what i'm doing. Maybe weigh in everyday but don't log it until I lose weight?
  • drmerc
    Options
    If you are concerned about weight fluctuations
    Weigh yourself every day and do a 7 day average
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    It's not the best to weigh everyday as your weight fluctuates throughout the day.While you may register a loss on a Tuesday on Wednesday you could gain.I would say once a week is plenty.Always the same day and first thing in the morning before breakfast.
    Good luck!
  • squishy2981
    Options
    Honestly, weigh in when you want, just make sure you do it naked (hopefully you have a scale at home for this!) and at the same time every day. In the mornings after you wake up and go to the bathroom, and before you eat breakfast. That way, if you want to weigh every day, you'll be completely consistent. And if you are currently averaging more than a pound or two of weight loss per week, then you can log it every day or two so that your BMR calculator continues to adjust to the right caloric intake for the day. If you are losing a pound or less a week, then logging it at the end of the week sounds just fine.
  • drmerc
    Options
    It's not the best to weigh everyday as your weight fluctuates throughout the day.While you may register a loss on a Tuesday on Wednesday you could gain.I would say once a week is plenty.Always the same day and first thing in the morning before breakfast.
    Good luck!

How does weighing in once a week eliminate weight fluctuation?
  • raylener
    Options
    Honestly, weigh in when you want, just make sure you do it naked (hopefully you have a scale at home for this!) and at the same time every day. In the mornings after you wake up and go to the bathroom, and before you eat breakfast. That way, if you want to weigh every day, you'll be completely consistent. And if you are currently averaging more than a pound or two of weight loss per week, then you can log it every day or two so that your BMR calculator continues to adjust to the right caloric intake for the day. If you are losing a pound or less a week, then logging it at the end of the week sounds just fine.

What's BMR? Do we have it on MFP? Sorry, lol, this stuff get's kinda confusing.
    So does my fitness pal automatically adjust our profile or something?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I used to be a slave to the scale. I then discovered that it was more important to be losing fat - not just pounds. I now track my measurements as often as I like - but usually around once a month. I weigh every 10 weeks. I just weighed in the new year so I won't weigh again until the middle of March. I love this. My clothes keep getting bigger. The measurements keep shrinking. My body is getting smaller. Who cares what the scale says??? Don't get caught up in the drama of the scale!
  • raylener
    Options
    I used to be a slave to the scale. I then discovered that it was more important to be losing fat - not just pounds. I now track my measurements as often as I like - but usually around once a month. I weigh every 10 weeks. I just weighed in the new year so I won't weigh again until the middle of March. I love this. My clothes keep getting bigger. The measurements keep shrinking. My body is getting smaller. Who cares what the scale says??? Don't get caught up in the drama of the scale!

So are you on a low fat diet or are you doing the calorie thing?
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Honestly I weigh myself DAILY. I know this is not recommended BUT it works for "Jaki" and keeps me on track. For some it may be discouraging (especially if it goes "up"), but for me it lets me know when to "adjust"
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    So are you on a low fat diet or are you doing the calorie thing?

Low fat diet?? There's no reason for that. The only thing low fat does for you is help you keep your calories down... while depriving you of healthy skin, hair, and hormone balance. Dietary fat is not the enemy. Just track your calories and get a good balance.

I weigh myself every day - if I gain a pound, I drink more water and eat less sodium, and if I lose one I make sure I'm drinking enough water to verify it's real weight lost. I weigh IN once a week - I think it's really silly to log it every time your scale drops by 0.1. I also take measurements once a week, because those are more important anyway.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Once a week has always been good for me. That way I don't obsess over fluctuating. At the moment I have no scales so I'm not sure of my progress. Hopefully it will be a big surprise in the good direction when I finally do get a new scale.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

How does weighing in once a week eliminate weight fluctuation?

^this

(That awesome moment when others respond with your usual response, and you wonder if they learned it from you, if they learned it somewhere else, or if they've believed it all along.)
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    In the begining of my weight loss journey I weighed myself morning and night. Graghing my morning weight daily. Night time weigh in was to see if I was retaining water. You should be 2 pounds heavier at night anymore then that, if heavier you should look at your food log. This gave me knowledge and power. I learned is that when eating some foods I would be up 2 pounds for a couple days even if I was within my calorie range. This really helped me to relax when I saw the weight gain. Also I found out that two weeks after menstrual cycle I would eat a lot of calorie 2250-2500 for two or three days. When this was going on for a couple months, I would get upset thinking my body was against me and wanted to keep the weight on. Its just my normal cycle to need more food at that time of the month.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can only weigh myself once a week, or I would majorly trigger myself. I'm in recovery from an eating disorder and trying to lose weight in a HEALTHY way after the birth of my son, so weighing every day would be courting disaster. Once a week has been fine for me. :)