Lunchercizing

Options
In an effort to both save $ from going out to eat on my lunchbreak and work out during the day I have started Lunchercizing.

From now on I will bring a packed healthy lunch and eat at my desk, and then workout for an hour on my "lunch break".

What can I do to fully maximize my time in the gym? I've been doing 30-45 on the elliptical followed by light weight training. I would love any advice/direction/tips :)

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Replies

• MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I work out during my lunch hour too - I would suggest lifting weights Mon-Wed-Fri and doing cardio Tues-Thurs. More focus on weights, less focus on cardio.

Don't do the girly weights - you'll see better results of you challenge your muscles. There's a lot of helpful information on this site and why lifting is important for women - do searches for the "in place of a road map" post and "new rules of weight lifting for women".

Good luck!
  • Chibuike757
    Options
    How long is your lunch?
  • christinaar821
    christinaar821 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey Thanks!!

should I still stick to this if I am trying to lose weight and tone up? I guess I prefer cardio bc I like to see that im sweating and feel progress.

I'll have to check some of those sites out for a road map/;.
  • christinaar821
    Options
    Oh and my lunch is 1 hr +/- 15 minutes. :)
  • Chibuike757
    Options
    A hour! Coolio! You can do a lot in that time! Here are two ideas:

1) Tabata exercises - Bang for your buck and helps you to keep moving. Definitely will challenge your cardio and burn fat.
    2) Signing up for a bootcamp class - They can motivate you and vice versa. The group energy is incredible.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    In an effort to both save $ from going out to eat on my lunchbreak and work out during the day I have started Lunchercizing.

From now on I will bring a packed healthy lunch and eat at my desk, and then workout for an hour on my "lunch break".

What can I do to fully maximize my time in the gym? I've been doing 30-45 on the elliptical followed by light weight training. I would love any advice/direction/tips :)

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Don't waste time on light weight training, do heavy lifting slowly with good technique, split the body into parts upper and lower on different days say. Cut back to half an hour on the elliptical trainer (assume this includes a thorough warm up), make it high intensity interval training. Take a class if you can - circuits, Boxercise, Spinning. You should finish your workout with jelly legs.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Here's a list to the Road Map. Good luck!! I sweat too much to work out on my lunch break, and we are a "scent free workplace" so I can't even use any body spray after! (p.s. I'm jealous that you can)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

HAPPY FRIDAY!

Don't waste time on light weight training, do heavy lifting slowly with good technique, split the body into parts upper and lower on different days say. Cut back to half an hour on the elliptical trainer (assume this includes a thorough warm up), make it high intensity interval training. Take a class if you can - circuits, Boxercise, Spinning. You should finish your workout with jelly legs.

I agree with this, but because you are a beginner and so far only familiar with "light" weights, I suggest you spend a few weeks doing full body workouts for the major muscle groups on your lifting days. For example, you don't need to target biceps and triceps quite yet. Start with squats, lunges, deadlifts, pushups or barbell chest presses, rows, pull ups or lat pull downs, overhead press. When you're ready then move on to splitting your workouts into lower vs upper. By then you'll be ready for more variety. OR look up the Stronglifts 5x5 program, a lot of people here seem to be a fan of that for beginners. If you go to the Stronglifts group you'll see the program posted there.

And yes, to lose weight and tone up/build muscle, you will see better results with weight training vs. cardio. You don't have to give it up completely, but you won't build much muscle on the elliptical or treadmill.
  • christinaar821
    Options
    Awesome ideas!! I'll give this a try!!! Thanks alot!

I've never heard of tabata i'll let you know how it goes :)
    A hour! Coolio! You can do a lot in that time! Here are two ideas:

1) Tabata exercises - Bang for your buck and helps you to keep moving. Definitely will challenge your cardio and burn fat.
    2) Signing up for a bootcamp class - They can motivate you and vice versa. The group energy is incredible.