Embarrassing/maybe TMI question -- lactose/ gluten intoleran

Options
My sister was visiting me for an extended Easter break, and she was going on a low-carb diet and wanted me to do it with her for support. I did... to me this was just another way of "eating healthy," as in, mostly chicken, fish, lean meat, veggies, nuts, but then I've also been eating more cheese and eggs than I normally do when I usually try to eat healthy/lean.

What I've noticed is much better regulation of my digestive system. All my life I've had issues with this. I've wondered if I have IBS. I know this is gross and probably TMI but I either have constipation/ just rarely ever going to the bathroom, or I have diaherrea, there is no good middle ground. Also, embarrassing flatulence and bloating. I've adjusted my diet over the last couple of years so that I generally eat healthy/clean, but it still remained an issue, although it was slightly better than when I ate a lot of processed/ fast food.

At times I've wondered if I'm lactose intolerant, and I've been thinking, maybe not having any milk has helped this problem get a lot better recently, on my low-carb diet? But I've been eating eggs and cheese -- not huge amounts, but more than normal. Is it possible to be lactose intolerant only when it comes to milk but not when it comes to other dairy products?

Or, I've been thinking, maybe it's the fact that I cut out wheat??? Because this is the biggest change I've made on the low carb diet. I'm usually a big fan of whole grain unrefined carbs. I like whole wheat bread and tortillas and brown rice and oatmeal. I haven't had any of this on my low-carb diet... could that be the reason my digestive system has seemed so much better? I thought whole grains were good for me. I've heard of gluten allergies/ intolerance, maybe I have that? Is there a test or a way to know for sure? And how would I know whether I am gluten or lactose intolerant, or neither?

Or, it could be fruit... I've had little to no fruit on the low-carb diet and I usually have 1 to 3 servings a day.

Any thoughts? All I know is that the problem has been much much better since I've been on this low-carb diet, and I want to figure out how to keep it that way or even improve it more (it's still there but not nearly as bad). I'd appreciate any insight especially if there are any nutritionists on here. Thanks!!

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have serious bloating issues with a lot of fruits and gas too, the farty kind lol. Especially bananas which I never eat any more. Even a tiny bite of banana bread. My stomache swells up like I have a tumor or I'm prego. It took me 40 years to figure that out. The thing is I LOVE fruit. Fortunetly berries seem to be ok.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to an allergist and have yourself tested...would save you a lot of time and discomfort to get it all done in one go instead of having to cut things out yourself and see if that was it. Best of luck!
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Creme Fraiche and certain yogurts seem to upset my tummy. If I eat them within half an hour my tummy will feel like it does when I am due on - painful and bloaty and wake up the next day feeling heavy (even when I have lost weight). So I stay away from those. I dont know if I am lactose intolerant because I am okay with milk and eggs but I know where you are coming from. My aunt had a reaction like yours (looked heavily pregnant) when she ate eggs and even if something was glazed with egg. Getting tested might be a good idea.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of the same issues and I've noticed that some dairy products bother me while others do not, also starchy foods really aggravate it to the point of my gut making obscenely loud noises at the most quietest possible times. I've talked to my doctor about it and I didn't like her suggestion (colonoscopy) but I think I really need to figure out what's causing all my issues. I can barely eat anything anymore w/out having problems. I've tried OTC lactose intolerant meds and even things like Gas X and Beano....nothing worked so far. So I'm going to my doctor to see if she can figure out what's going on for sure...just not sure when I'll get around to doing that! LOL!

There are several possibilities like IBS, Crohn's, gluten allergies, lactose intolerance, etc. and I'm tired of cutting things out to see if this helps or that helps, also tired of self-medicating. Not smart on my part since I really have no idea what I'm trying to treat.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I have serious bloating issues with a lot of fruits and gas too

Fruit basically ferments in your stomach if it's not digested right away. Try eating fruit by itself, at least 30 minutes before eating anything else. And if you aren't eating fruit first thing in the morning, wait 3 hours after eating other food before eating fruit. This way, your body can digest the fruit and it won't sit in yo bellah releasing that gas :-)
  • laurajg
    laurajg Posts: 8
    Options
    I recently went to a naturopath to see about hives that I had been experiencing--for which the doctor kept prescribing steroids and antihistamines. She immediately ran a food allergy panel and sure enough it came up as lactose as one of my major problems. She said that at least 60% of her patients who come to her with a variety of single symptoms, like hives, bloating, headaches, IBS, eczema, or even things like joint pains and sinus issues have an undiagnosed food allergy--most often to wheat or lactose. So it sounds pretty promising that you may have one, too. The food allergy panel cost $200 and mine was covered by insurance.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that this food panel testing exists. I'll ask my doctor to see whether she recommends that. In the meantime I'm keeping a diary of what I eat and when and whether it causes digestive issues.

So far no one seems to think it could be wheat. That is the thing that struck me as odd -- it's the one glaring difference, as well as the fruit. Thanks to those of you who said fruit can do this. I do love bananas and usually have at least one a day.
  • lcur7916
    lcur7916 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try re-introducing one thing at a time, like eat the same diet you have been eating, but add a little fruit for a week and see how you feel, then the next week, take out the fruit and add dairy, and then do the same for carbs. See if you can work out which has the biggest impact?! =)
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Good idea, Icur. I would really like to find out if it's fruit/ bananas so I guess I'll introduce a bit of that and see if the problem comes back. Thanks!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When my mom and her brothers did a low carb diet they all had gas. One of the brothers was explaining how all the veggies had so much fiber and their bodies weren't used to it. (Apparantly adding too much fiber into your system too quickly tends to make you gassy.)
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth, I accompanied my dad who is in his 80's and has Parkinson's to his annual neuology consult last week, and the doctor told him that bananas can cause constipation. Apparently not for everyone, since I eat one almost every morning and don't have the problem, but it is worth mentioning.

Also, by the symptoms you describe, I think gluten intolerance is something to look at. I have a friend who went through a lot of the same problems, got tested, and found it was the culprit. Knowing about it is a lot easier than DEALING with it however, as gluten lurks in all kinds of foods you would not ordinarily think it would be, so if you are eating processed foods, this can create unpleasant surprises.

Good luck.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    Hard cheese, and yoghurt (without milk solids added after it's cultured) has very little lactose in it.

I'm lactose intolerant, and I drink converted milk, but eat cheese just fine. I'll eat full-fat yoghurt, too, but not the lite stuff because they add milk solids to it after the cultures have done their thing. I can have some cream as well, because lactose isn't carried in the fat, so there's less in a measure of cream than in the equivalent measure of milk, iykwim.

They hide milk solids in everything these days, I have to make sure there's not a lot, a little bit is ok but over the day it can all add up!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rule out gluten intolerance, but the change could just be the reduced amount of fiber by cutting down on the fruit and whole grains. Testing for food intolerances by regulating your diet can be difficult, because they add gluten and milk solids to all kinds of processed foods. Check with your doctor about allergy testing. For example, I test negative on the food allergy panel for wheat, but positive when specifically blood tested for gluten sensitivity.
  • chris31
    chris31 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am gluten intolerant and I can tell you that you need to see a Gastro Interologist . Gluten intolerance can by detected by blood test or biopsy of the stomach. I think if you eliminate wheat from your diet and you feel better then cut out wheat. Go on line and search Celiac disease you will be able to see if you think you have it. Good Luck
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I didn't realize that this food panel testing exists. I'll ask my doctor to see whether she recommends that. In the meantime I'm keeping a diary of what I eat and when and whether it causes digestive issues.

So far no one seems to think it could be wheat. That is the thing that struck me as odd -- it's the one glaring difference, as well as the fruit. Thanks to those of you who said fruit can do this. I do love bananas and usually have at least one a day.

I can relate to your situation. I was diagnsed with IBS and so many other "syndromes" and I was miserable for years. I noticed a HUGE diff when I went on the South Beach diet a few years ago and it was such a difference that I extended the no carb phase from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. I also noticed that fasting/detoxing made the symptoms go away. But when ever I started adding those thing back in, the constipation/diarrhea/gas/bloating came back. I stuck to only whole grains too.

In February I went to an allergist and they drew my blood for a full food panel. I thought I was lactose intollerant. Tuned out that I had a gluten intollerance AND an allergy to wheat. That was why the "low-carb" was so great for me. I also found out that I wasn't lactose intollerant, I have a full blown allergy to all dairy and eggs. Now that I am off all that stuff, my digestion is so much better and I haven't had a headache since my last bite of cheese.

I totally recommend getting tested. It litterally saved my life. My allergies turned out to be pretty severe. Now I've been diagnosed with Celiac Disease and had my daughter tested as well. She has it too. The diet is life altering, but I'm thankful for the added years to my life. Untreated food allergies in adults can really shorten the lifespan.

Here is the lab that we used. www.foodallergy.com They are very thorough. My doctor said they are way more detailed than any other lab, giving you more than just yes/no answers. They prepare a rotation diet for you and a booklet of all the things you are allergic to as well as sensitive to. They also have dieticians available for phone consults if you need help with your new diet.

Good luck!
    Holly
  • thewendyj
    thewendyj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread. I have all the same symptoms and am so tired of being bloated, gassy, constipated, tired and just generally feeling like crap. The bloating is the worst. A pair of pants can fit me one day and not the next. When I feel so heavy and uncomfortable it effects your daily life. I actually feel my best when I hardly eat at all. So you would actually think I'd be skinny but when I do eat I get feeling awful, then I don't feel like exercising, which makes me feel worse, so when I feel worse I eat more, and round and round we go.

I've been had a colonoscopy, tested for ovarian cancer, lactose intolerance, etc, etc., etc.....all negative. Doctor's conclusion: IBS (reading between the lines - they don't know what's wrong so they give it a name, so maybe I'll be happy and go away). I've never been happy with that diagnose. Obviously there is a reason for feeling the way I do and I've been searching for answers on my own. I was told to eliminate certain things from my diet to see if it made a difference, but that is so time consuming and lengthy. I always felt there had to be some kind of testing that could provide results. I am suspiscious about gluten or wheat so that will be my next step. Hopefully I can found a way to get tested in Canada.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread. I have all the same symptoms and am so tired of being bloated, gassy, constipated, tired and just generally feeling like crap. The bloating is the worst. A pair of pants can fit me one day and not the next. When I feel so heavy and uncomfortable it effects your daily life. I actually feel my best when I hardly eat at all. So you would actually think I'd be skinny but when I do eat I get feeling awful, then I don't feel like exercising, which makes me feel worse, so when I feel worse I eat more, and round and round we go.

I've been had a colonoscopy, tested for ovarian cancer, lactose intolerance, etc, etc., etc.....all negative. Doctor's conclusion: IBS (reading between the lines - they don't know what's wrong so they give it a name, so maybe I'll be happy and go away). I've never been happy with that diagnose. Obviously there is a reason for feeling the way I do and I've been searching for answers on my own. I was told to eliminate certain things from my diet to see if it made a difference, but that is so time consuming and lengthy. I always felt there had to be some kind of testing that could provide results. I am suspiscious about gluten or wheat so that will be my next step. Hopefully I can found a way to get tested in Canada.

www.foodallergy.com

Check out these guys. They are in Maine. They can send the testing supplies to your doctor, he/she just needs to request them. It cost 149.00, may be a little higher to ship to Canada. Honestly, its the best money I have ever spent. And you get free help from a dietician.
  • thewendyj
    thewendyj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give it a try. :)
  • jmjones2002
    Options
    I can totally relate to you..I was told I have IBS about 13yrs ago and it kept getting worse..I usually have more of the 'going to the potty" rather then constipation..I was told about 2yrs ago that I actually have a spastic colon and I have dairy allergies..My mom is allergic to gluten so you may wanna check into that..My sons allergist told me it's hard to test for that so he recommended that we take out gluten from his diet for 2wks and gradually bring it back and see what the changes are with his bowels..I did away with white bread and was eating nothing but whole wheat, and bought only fresh fruit/veges..Now I'm dealing more with the constipation and find myself having to take a stool softener w/ laxative..It's the weirdest thing..I have been told that my body is adjusting to eating healthier and excercising..Hopefully it'll balance out soon!! Good Luck to ya:-)
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options

It most def could be gluten intolerance as well. Don't rule it out!

P.S. I avoid bananas at all costs now....no more naners for me! LOL!