Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Any Ocella users?

Hello Ladies!

Please tell me I am not alone!

My birth control was switched to Ocella for this month because my pharmacy was out of Yaz. I have not loged on for quite awhile because I was sooo depressed.

Here is what happened in the last month:
1. I have gained ten pounds and am at the HEAVIEST weight I have ever been at.
2. I have been extremely hungry but then throw up after eating because my body doesn't really want the food.
3. I thought I was pregnant, have taken 2 tests that are both negative and my doctor has performed a test and I am NOT pregnant.
4. I am sooo extremely depressed and broke up with my boyfriend over this whole thing.

I have now been off this pill for two days, have lost up to two pounds a day but have still not gotten my period. Am I crazy?

Help!

Replies

• MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Well this isnt really uncommon, as birth control pills have been known to cause reactions that are similar to symptoms of pregnancy. its just you're not accustomed to the new pill. I got put on orthrotrycyclin when I was just on regular orhrocyclin, and I got pissy, bled twice as much between packs, felt terrible, bloated, fat, lethargic, and very sick on the off days. Its all about what your body is accustomed to or what your body works best with. My body likes a straight dosage of hormone, it does NOT like it to fluxuate.
  • klt1030
    klt1030 Posts: 82 Member
    First and foremost YAZ and Ocella are not the same drug!!! Ocella is the generic for YASMIN. ( I'm a certified pharmacy technician - I know my stuff :-) ) They are close in chemical nature, but not the same product. It could be that your body is completely off kilter because of the "tweak" in hormones.
  • betowt
    betowt Posts: 2
    I was on Ocella for ~6 months and definitely gained about 15 pounds, which might not sound like much but is a lot when you go from 130lbs --> 145lbs. I felt like a sausage or a water balloon ALL the time, like I was waddling around all jiggly and stuff. I've since switched to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, which seems to be better. I have lost about 10-12 pounds through diet, exercise, and water loss (due to switching pills, I think). Ocella (aka Yasmin) claims to be better for helping you avoid water weight gain, but that definitely was NOT rue in my case.

All birth control pills have female hormones that trick your body into thinking it's pregnant (so that you don't ovulate and CAN'T get pregnant). Hence, you gain weight more easily (especially water weight/bloating), your breasts get sore, you get moody, etc. So you just have to try different pills until you find one that works best for you.
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    I know you said you stopped taking it - but NEVER take this birth control again. This birth control totally began to destroy my life.

I started taking this pill about 2 years ago - at the same time (and of course I didn't put two and two together until a while ago - but i'll get to that later) I began experiencing severe anxiety, withdrawn behaviors, and depression. This led to serious control issues and I began to develop a very negative connotation with food in general. I was unconfident, very unsure of myself, and this was not the person I was before.

I stopped taking this pill and switched to a different on in November of last year. I got a little better (but really feel overall hormones are not good for my body) and my mood began to take a postive change. I was no longer depressed, tired, etc.

I took that pill for about 3 months, but then ended up changing back to Ocella. Within two days, I had migraines, felt so extremely tired, and did not want to do anything. I was severely depressed - within four days I honestly felt I could not function. I was driving to work that morning and called my fiance hysterical because I felt I could not work that day because I was upset I could not find the 1/2 cup measuring cup that morning (seriously? haha yes)

If you google Ocella side effects, you will be astonished by how many forums are out there with women who have had similar problems. I got my period once after stopping it, but have not gotten it since - it's been about 9 weeks (no, I'm not pregnant).

Luckily my fiance is awesome and stuck with me - I sure wouldnt have! I was crazy!
  • Kmclark2008
    Kmclark2008 Posts: 1 Member
    Ocella.. gosh, where do I begin?

I started taking this about 4 months ago and I'm headed to the doctor tomorrow to explore other options, because this just sucks. I've become extremely depressed, withdrawn from everyone and everything, I cry at the drop of a hat, I get head aches, my periods are worse than ever (Cramping so bad I can't move, to the point of throwing up), EXTREME increased anxiety, weight gain, etc.. in a nutshell, it feels like its ruining my life.

I'm with what someone else said- you'd be AMAZED at what you would see if you googled 'Ocella side effects'.. I guess its different from everyone, but I haven't heard any good things about it yet and it def. doesn't work for me.

Good luck! Hope you get it figured out!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    I have been taking this for about 4 months and have not had any problems. I have lost 23lbs since I have been on it through diet and excerise. The last BC (Ovacon-35) I was on I couldn't lose weight no matter how hard I tried, I was depressed, didn't enjoy sex, etc. I have not had any of these problem with Ocella. It definately varies from person to person but if it is not working for you then ask your dr. to switch you.
  • I stated taking ocella about a year ago and my whole life I've been extremely tiny. Well this past year I've gained about 19 pounds. That's a lot. I mean I'm not overweight or anything but I am extremely self conscious now. I am very emotional, I will cry over ANYTHING. I am always hungry and I get depressed very easily for absolutely no reason. I don't exactly know if it's the ocella but it definitely seems that way. I think I'm just going to stop using birth control all together because I also have no sex drive...
  • WildCatClimbs
    WildCatClimbs Posts: 35 Member
    Hey Ladies

NO you are not alone. I was on Ovcon-35 for quite a while(3 years or so) and it gave me horrible horrible acne, cystic, it was bad, and I have not ever had bad skin in my life. However I was at my lowest weight. Finally put two and two together and asked my gyn for a pill that wouldn't make me break out. Have been on Ocella now for 6 months, skin looks fantastic. I am a rock climber training to be more competitive, and my training routine has been very intense and serious since December...however....I gained ten pounds of belly fat AND I now have cellulite on my legs which I never had before. My diet is cleaner than ever before and my training is more on point than ever before...and I look worse. I looked around on various body building forums and the answer is clear...taking female hormones...like Ocella does negatively affect weight loss and muscle definition. I also don't like taking so many synthetic hormones every day....long term can't be good.

Going to discuss an IUD with my gyn, Minera I think it is called? I have not had any kids though so not sure if it will work for me. Any experience with this?

xoxo