What kind of exercise shoes do you have?

Options
I only just started walking over the past four days (surprisingly, getting into shape isn't a New Years resolution—the decision just happened to coincide with the first of Jan., huh!) and the back of my feet are all torn up. I only own one pair of casual shoes and they're not really intended for trudging up and down hills. I have to wear band-aids on my heels and two pairs of socks just to get my daily walks done, hahaha. I'm thinking about getting a pair of Pumas soon for some extra heel padding, but I'm not very familiar with the brand. What kind of shoes do you wear when you exercise?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have different shoes for different exercises. I have a pair of New Balance that I use for Turbo Fire, calisthenics and plyometrics. A pair of Reebok (I think) cross trainers I use for Zumba and my running shoes are Brooks. For walking I may use any of these, but the important thing is to find shoes that are comfortable for you. A shoe that works for me may not work for you because your foot may be different than mine.

Just go try on several pairs and find the right one for you.
  • _reno_
    _reno_ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Shoes are not somewhere to cut money when you are working out. Poor footware will lead to injury. expect to spend $50-$120 on a pair of quality shoes.

It really depends on what your planned activities are.
    I have some asic gel cross trainers I use for boxing class, tennis, general gym work

I have brooks adreniline gtx trail running shoes

Vasque breeze GTX hiking boots

All have different purposes

I would stick with bigger names
    Nike, addidias, la sportiva, brooks, rebock, new balance .... all make great shoes
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have adidas cross trainers for gym going, cycling and rowing and then a pair of New Balance Vibrams running shoes for running specifically. If you want shoes just for walking, invest in a decent pair of walking boots! They don't have to be expensive but the added support will help keep your walks comfortable. If you plan on using the same shoe for other exercises, a decent pair of cross trainers should be adequate, just make sure they're comfortable, give you good foot support and definitely NOT causing you to cut up your heels!

I made the mistake of doing a 9 mile walk in Converse, they shredded my heels and gave me major arch pain and it hurt to walk for over a week! Painful lesson learned!
  • gatorshoes
    Options
    I made the mistake of doing a 9 mile walk in Converse, they shredded my heels and gave me major arch pain and it hurt to walk for over a week! Painful lesson learned!

The pair of shoes currently scraping the skin off my heels are a pair of classic canvas Vans in the same style as Converse lo-tops, what a coincidence. :ohwell:
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have Brooks and love them!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I wear professional tennis court shoes and I lift weights.