Can someone explain'water weight'?

Options
If someone remarks they 'went on vacation last week and gained 5 pounds" people say it's just water weight and it will come right off. I understand slightly, but can can one of you super scientific fitness people offer further explanation.
A friend remarked they gained 20 pounds over the holidays. How does one know if it is water weight or 'real weight'.... How long does it take to gain 'real weight' versus 'water weight'?

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I just googled it.... It seems that glycogen is 4 water molecules, so when you gain a glycogen you also gain the water molecules, and losing the glycogen loses those attached water molecules.... If Google was telling me the truth. ( there was more to the explanation, but this was the part my brain needed)
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Most fun foods and unhealthy foods are high in sodium, excessive sodium causes a fluid shift in your body and tells the body to retain and hold onto fluid (water). When people are eating healthy they likely have a diet that is low in sodium by default verses a fast food diet that will overload your body with excessive sodium. When you eat healthy for an extended period of time and you are drinking water and eating lots of protein, veggies and fruit, then you are not ingesting a lot of sodium. When you go off eating that healthy diet and have a cheat day or week then you likely are eating "bad" foods that are higher in sodium and fat and this you retain a good amount of water due to sodium. Once you go back to eating more healthy natural foods you don't retain the 'water weight' and you loss the few lbs of bloat.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    What the above poster said. It's the sodium packed in foods from eating out and not making it yourself. It will take a few days of eating what you normally do and those extra pounds come right back off (or at least they have for me). Generally it also takes another new pound with it! :smile:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I just googled it.... It seems that glycogen is 4 water molecules, so when you gain a glycogen you also gain the water molecules, and losing the glycogen loses those attached water molecules.... If Google was telling me the truth. ( there was more to the explanation, but this was the part my brain needed)

That and electrolyte imbalances especially sodium. You only gain glycogen and water if you body thinks your muscles are depleted or you increase exercise and the body chooses to store more fuel, but not 20 pounds worth.

How do you know if some or all is water weight? By measuring your body fat and by using common sense as to how much you have overeaten or how much salt you have consumed. It's virtually impossible to gain 20 pounds of fat in a few days, that would be somewhere in the region of 70,000 extra calories consumed.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    I make my own stuff as often as I can and don't do extra salt, we even grocery shop on vacation. Though we out out some..... But it could be why I only seemed to gain 2 pounds on vacation instead of 10 or 20.

So there appear to be two causes of water weight, the whole,glycogen replacement when people take a break from 'dieting' and the sodium....
  • 3foldchord
    Options

That and electrolyte imbalances especially sodium. You only gain glycogen and water if you body thinks your muscles are depleted or you increase exercise and the body chooses to store more fuel, but not 20 pounds worth.

. It's virtually impossible to gain 20 pounds of fat in a few days, that would be somewhere in the region of 70,000 extra calories consumed.

My acquaintance may have meant 'since Thanksgiving through New Years" when he said he gained 20pounds over the holidays. I dunno.

I do try to eat lower carbs so maybe on vacation by body is storing all those extra vacation carbs as glycogen with water molecules.....
    Either way, it is good to know how things work.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Google is your friend!! Yes, that's the basics of it. The amount of water in your body can fluctuate daily. Your body will "retain water" for a variety of reasons, not just sodium.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Water is used to balance the amount of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) inside of and outside your cells. A fluctuation in sodium intake (not necessarily a "high" intake per se) may cause you to retain water to bring your electrolytes back into balance.

You know it's water weight if it only hangs around for a week or two after you resume your typical diet. If it lasts longer than that, it's probably "real" weight.

Water weight can fluctuate quite rapidly, 10 lbs in a day is not uncommon depending on the size of the person and other factors.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    you can look at the glycogen water weight as having around 500 calories per pound, vs fat being about 3500 calories per pound. This is why almost everyone will see a quick drop of at least a few pounds the first week or 3 they've been eating better and exercising, and then it slows down.

You can drop this 'water weight' quicker by switching to a low-carb diet for a short period of time if you really want to, but it's hard to give up bread, cereal, pasta, ketchup, bbq sauce, and anything else containing 'grains' or processed sugar :D

Edited to add that sodium does play a part in actual WATER retention, not just glycogen, and as has been stated, this will also contribute to a fast "weight" gain or loss.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    you can look at the glycogen water weight as having around 500 calories per pound, vs fat being about 3500 calories per pound. . . .

Thanks. That is helpful.
  • MarieAnneN
    Options
    Water is used to balance the amount of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) inside of and outside your cells. A fluctuation in sodium intake (not necessarily a "high" intake per se) may cause you to retain water to bring your electrolytes back into balance.

You know it's water weight if it only hangs around for a week or two after you resume your typical diet. If it lasts longer than that, it's probably "real" weight.

Water weight can fluctuate quite rapidly, 10 lbs in a day is not uncommon depending on the size of the person and other factors.

Good explaination. I was wondering the same thing because assumed it was but was not exactly sure how it worked.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It's probably more useful to call it "water retention." It is the abnormal accumulation of excess fluid in the circulatory system or the tissues or cavities of the body. There are many causes. Some are related to inflammatory processes like histamine or the repair of tissue. Some causes are hormonal. It can be caused by the kidneys, cardiovascular system, protein levels. If you quickly gain a large amount of weight when eating out it is from over-consumption of sodium. This is common and temporary. As long as you return to a lower sodium diet this weight should come off within days. You can speed up the process with a diuretic or with foods that have have a diuretic effect but that is generally unnecessary unless you have high blood pressure.

It sounds like your friend gained both water weight and fat. It's very easy to over-consume much more than we think during the holidays. Whatever doesn't come off after the first 2 weeks of changing to a low sodium diet is mostly body-mass.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Listen to the guy with the tie and this:

Things I can think of that make you gain non-fat weight:
    excess salt (we need a certain amount in our bodies)
    carbs (which turns to glycogen quickly, and if you exercise allot, the more the merrier)
    exercise (while repairing muscles)

My biggest weight gain over night at 5'7 and 120lbs was about 10 lbs after a particularly steep 16km hike. I was still on a calorie deficit so over all I didn't gain any weight by the end of the week, but I ate extra carbs from the calorie burn, and I hiked 16km. I'm glad I did all those things because I was quite pooped out, and I probably would have injured myself if I hadn't have had the extra fuel (lack of fuel=easy injury times).

Maintaining muscle can keep good weight on. By volume, fat weighs more then muscle. If we have the same weight of fat and muscle, the fat will be bigger. Many of us think we have to get rid of 'weight' to be healthy. That is wrong. I'd rather be a skinny girl with muscles then a skinny thicker version thats all squish and slightly lighter. I gave my 30lb more then me friend who's been going to the gym regularly and lifting weights and after losing 50lbs a few of my dresses and she didn't understand how she fit into them. This is why.

Ways to gain fat
    1lb fat =3500 calories
    When we gain weight we gain a ratio of muscle and fat
    You have to eat over 3500 calories over your EE (energy expenditure). For those of you who know, you can estimate your TDEE via your BMR and activity level. Add 3500 calories on top of that and you still haven't likely gained all fat.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that pointer. Really enjoyed that article.

The effect of salt is overrated, though, compared to the effect of carbs. For the vast majority of people, easing up on sugar and white flour will make sodium a non-issue.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The effect of salt is overrated, though, compared to the effect of carbs. For the vast majority of people, easing up on sugar and white flour will make sodium a non-issue.

Vast majority? I don't know. It certainly depends on the individual's sensitivity to salt and where they are coming from as far as a diet. If someone is very insensitive to salt with a diet rich in refined sugar & carbohydrate then OK. Is this the "vast majority" of the population? I'm not sure.

If we look at the population most sensitive to water retention (people with all kinds of high blood pressure) the opposite is the case. For these people sodium intake is the main concern and source of advice from their doctors not sugar or carbs. Personally I find that very telling.

Certainly both cause water retention and from an intuitive standpoint I'd assume most people lie somewhere in the middle as far as sodium sensitivity. Given the standard western diet is sodium and refined carb and sugar rich I think it's hard to argue either as a non-issue.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.
    I knew of sodium and the glycogen, slightly, but had not thought of the muscle repair type stuff. Makes sense though.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Thanks for all the info.
    I knew of sodium and the glycogen, slightly, but had not thought of the muscle repair type stuff. Makes sense though.

muscle repair=glycogen rushing to those muscles to repair. Glycogen = type of fuel that travels around helping the body.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Thanks for that pointer. Really enjoyed that article.

Tell that to someone I know who thinks she has a salt deficiency. She's large but I wouldn't call her mostly 'fat'...she's more...puffy and looks like she's been submerged underwater for a long time. Definitely the effects of salt. We had her over for soup one day and knew about her salt obsession so we mad our soup nastily salty, and she continued to poor in a film vial of salt in the soup that she just happened to have in her purse...