sugar intake

Options
2»

Replies

• blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

What do you mean by borderline? Have you been diagnosed prediabetic?

No-one knows exactly what causes diabetes, although there is a definite correlation between being overweight/obese and having type II diabetes. But to say "sugar" is going to make you diabetic is too simplistic. Or that by cutting out sugar, you will prevent diabetes. Sugar is simply a carbohydrate.

If you are (pre)diabetic, you have to watch your TOTAL carb intake, and try and spread them out evenly throughout the day. To make sure I'm not getting too much in any one sitting, I eat 3 meals plus 3 snacks a day to meet my overall calorie goals, trying to balance all the macros in each meal/snack. (Or I try anyway - having been doing quite so well recently).

Many people find they can control their blood sugar levels by losing weight and exercise. But the overall diet has to be watched too. And yes - some fruits will push you over. I can't eat a whole banana in one sitting - it spikes my blood sugar every time. Processed carbs are worse than complex carbs. But in part that is going to mean finding things you can eat - by logging and by checking your fasting and post prandial blood sugar. You don't necessarily need to cut anything out - just limit the amount you eat of it, and add in fresh veggies to make up the bulk.

This ^

Look at this site bloodsugar101.com

Everyone is different and how sugar and carbs affect you will be different to another diabetic/prediabetic. You need to find out what works for you. If you can afford it get a blood glucose meter and test after different foods or meals to see how they affect your blood sugar. This way you can avoid foods which cause you to spike. I found that I can't eat white bread at all and even whole wheat only in small amount. Oats by themselves also spikes my sugar, but if mixed with protein powder it's OK. You need to experiment. What works for me may not work for you. Most important work with your doctor. Good luck.