breakfast on the go

Options
Hi, I'd like to hear some ideas on a low calories, yet fuffilling breakfast I can grab on the go - eat in the car or at my desk as I've been having a cheese and bacon roll but want something healthier.
Thanks!

Replies

• aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    I used to bring instant oatmeal and yogurt at my desk. Or instant cream of wheat.
  • aml0484
    Options
    I used to bring instant oatmeal and yogurt at my desk. Or instant cream of wheat.
  • bballgrrl34
    bballgrrl34 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies. I put it in a travel mug and drink it on the bus. It is filling because I put like spinach and lots of other things in it. If I put protein whey in it, I am full for even longer. I normally make the smoothie the night before so I don't have to worry about it in the morning. Such a time saver.
  • jenuwine
    jenuwine Posts: 57
    Options
    I normally make the smoothie the night before so I don't have to worry about it in the morning. Such a time saver.

SUPER! sounds good, although Id never think to add spinach!??

What things do you all put in your smoothies. Also, is there some type of muffin I could prep on weekend and take one each morning..any good healthy recipes????
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Options
    I keep oatmeal, grits, and the wheat mini bagels (100 calories) at work. Also I take one slice of the thin whole wheat bread, tsp of peanut butter, 1/2 banana and drizzle honey on top...sooo good and filling.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    On Sunday a make a weeks worth of breakfast burrito's. Just a tortilla, egg's, and rotel. 200 calories each. I usually eat them at home. But sometimes heat them up and take them with me in the car.
  • aml0484
    Options
    I also have smoothies and like others put spinach in them. I also put cucumbers any kind of fresh, frozen or sometimes even canned fruit. I have to have a ripe banana as it makes it real sweet.
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I like to have Slim Fast shakes handy, I'm never hungry until it's time to leave! I also found a couple of protein bars that I really like, Zone strawberry (yogurt covered) and my favorite is cookie dough flavored made by Balance.
  • lindalloo
    lindalloo Posts: 47
    Options
    There are some great ideas here! This is one I learned from my sister. Take a 6" whole wheat tortilla (or Weight Watchers brand), lightly spread it with peanut butter, then wrap it around a whole banana. Wha-la! That's all there is to it and it is DeLiCiOuS! Plus, added bonus .. it takes a bit of time to get through.
  • signchik
    signchik Posts: 17
    Options
    I find Clif Bars to be especially filling. Sometimes it takes 2 mornings just to eat 1. Favorites are Carrot Cake and Pear and Apple Strudel. And I agree with the person who takes 1 pc of whole grain multi grain bread with a tbsp of organic peanut butter.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had never found a "protien bar" I liked until the Special K's! Kinda taste like a chocolate covered rice krispy treat!

I do one serving of low fat thin sliced luch meat, like mesquite turkey breast, one low fat colby cheese stick, and one low fat string cheese. I eat the meat and the colby together in little bites, then eat the string cheese, stringing it as thinly as possible. All told it takes me like 25-30 minutes to eat it as I am driving down the road, which makes me feel like I have eaten a bundle, yet is only like 180-190 cals depending on the type of meat! And loads of protein!

Also like 2 servings egg beaters, 2 slices 35 calorie bread (it is hard to find a good one, but if you can, it is great! I use Nickels, if you have it where you live) a slice of fat free cheese and I spray on ceasar salad dressing (seriously, a spray, like no calories!) For 140 calories, it is amazing!!! And loads of protein!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Eggo waffles! Just eat them plain. (I have the buttermilk kind and enjoy them well enough, but I'm sure if you get the chocolate chip ones or fruit stuffed ones, they'd be even better.) Pop them in the toaster, wrap them in a paper towel, and go! You could even spray them with that I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray.

I think they're around 180 calories for 2 waffles. 6 grams of fat. I eat a lot and I was actually surprised that they filled me up so much this morning. I'm going to start having waffles more often. :)
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    My regular breakfast eaten at my desk every morning is a Fiber 1 bar and yogurt. Keeps me going till lunch most days.
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    Oh! I saw you ask for a recipe for a muffin or something that you could make the night before.

These are called Grab 'n Go Breakfast Cookies.

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup regular oats (not instant)
    6 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
    1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
    1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated)
    1/3 cup Gerber peaches (or another brand of pureed peaches found in the baby food aisle)
    1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
    1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
    1 tablespoon golden raisins
    1 tablespoon Ocean Spray Craisins (original)
    2 tablespoons brown sugar (not packed)
    2 teaspoons Coffee-mate Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:
    Preheat over to 375 degrees.

Chop raisins and Craisins into small pieces. Set aside.

In a food processor or blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency

In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, Fiber One crumbs, Splenda, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until mixed well.

In a medium bowl, dissolve powdered creamer in 2 tablespoons hot water. Add all other wet ingredients (pureed peaches, pumpkin, and egg substitute) and stir until mixed well.

Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and stir until completely blended. Slowly sprinkle chopped raisins and Craisins into the batter, making sure they don't all stick together.

Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick spray and spoon batter in 4 evenly spaced circles. Spread batter out a bit with the back of a spoon.

Bake in the oven for 12 to 14 minutes, until tops of treats are just slightly crispy. Allow to cool slightly on the sheet.

PER SERVING (1 cookie): 154 calories, 1.5g fat, 166mg sodium, 32.5g carbs, 5g fiber, 10.5 sugars, 5g protein.

***Credit goes to Lisa Lillien, "Hungry Girl: 200 under 200." ***
  • funkyspunky871
    Options
    Having all kinds of ideas for this question!

Try Smart Ones: Breakfast Quesadillas. Microwavable; takes like 3 minutes. I really, really like them. I can't remember the exact calories and fat. But I think it was around 200-300 calories and 6 grams of fat.
  • rosinka
    rosinka Posts: 3
    Options
    i poach an egg in the microwave, put it in a small glass container and loosely cover, about 45 seconds. then just eat it on a fat free english muffin like a little sandwich. sometimes i add a tsp of low fat cream cheese and a slice of turkey (maybe some thin sliced onions too). super easy, fast and yummy!!
  • rosinka
    rosinka Posts: 3
    Options
    i eat a waffle with a scoop of no sugar added apple sauce!
  • jenuwine
    jenuwine Posts: 57
    Options
    thanks funkyspunky871 that recipe sounds great!!
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a rubbermaid container that is like a sectioned plate with a lid. I make 1/2 cup egg beaters and pour 1/8 cup Cary's sugar free maple syrup on them, one piece of toast with 1/2 tbsp of I can't believe it's not butter light, one tbsp of grape jelly, and two slices of turkey bacon. It all adds of up to 290 calories and is delish! It takes like 5 minutes to make in the mornings too... super easy.. but not as easy as some of the other ideas on here :)