Elephant Butt Syndrome

Options
My butt has been trying to run down the back of my legs for quite a while. I am relieved it hasn't made it to my knees yet! I swear I have Elephant Butt Syndrome! You know, the flappy skin folds that hang around back there after losing weight, and when you look in the mirror and you realize that your butt looks like an elephant's butt.

Seriously though....
I have never had a butt to speak of...all the gals in our family have pancakes back there. Now that I have lost the fat layer, I swear my butt looks like an elephant's! I have been doing squats, stairs, using the glute master, running, lunges....and it just keeps getting baggier!

Is there any way to fix the dreaded EBS aside from surgery?!?

Replies

• _TEMPEST_
    _TEMPEST_ Posts: 205
    Options
    Guess I am the only one. Boo.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My family also has the flat butt syndrome. I've never really been able to improve the shape of my butt in the past, but over the summer, I started doing a lot of walking on hills. I walked about 45-60 minutes a day 4-5 days a week and it was literally almost all uphill or downhill. Sometimes it was only a slight incline probably equal to 3-4 on incline) and sometimes it was very steep (equal to 20+ on treadmill). I started noticing that it seemed like my rear had more shape. In the past few months, other people have even commented on it, so I know it's not all in my head!

I recommend doing hill intervals on the treadmill, or outside if you can. I like outside better, because I think walking downhill benefits your shape, too. I've recently added in some legs weight exercises and I'm hoping those help even more, but I'm pleasantly surprised at my shape change, even if it's not a huge change.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, dead lifts.....try Jillian Michaels killer buns and thighs. It lifted my butt up
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Omgoodness I laughed outloud.

You can change it, it just wont happen quickly. Weights will help immensly! I don't have this problem but I did perk up my butt with weighted squats, dead lifts, and others. Took me a looking time! Good luck
  • R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think you're talking about loose skin. In general, if you stay at your current weight your skin will somewhat shrink over time to your current body size and tighten. This is assuming you don't have a crazy amount.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    If it's baggy skin from weight loss, drink tons of water and moisturize like crazy!

You post made me laugh! I don't have EBS, but I can totally picture it now :D I've heard of Duck Butt, and NoAssAtAll Disease (happens to the men in my family as they age), but Elephant Butt Syndrome is a new one. Thank you!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Squat HEAVY; with the barbell. I've always had a flat butt. It's still fat but it's higher and has a better shape.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Add lots and lots of weight to your squats and lunges. Road biking always makes the backs of my legs look nice too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    squats with lost of weight and making sure to go parallel or lower
    deadlifts
    lunges

i used to have a pancake butt (i know.. quite strange for an overweight black girl :laugh: ) but look at m, i'm drinking milk and doing my squats and getting an *kitten*.

also those exercises wont make your butt bigger, it just make it higher and rounder which makes it look bigger.. big in a good way.. you know what i mean
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Weighted squats
    Weighted squats
    More weighted squats
  • daniafayyad
    Options
    I have a pretty big butt too, and i was tired of it not being fit and toned. I joined pilates (pretty expensive) but within 2 months, I had the best looking butt i ever had!!! Not to mention the rest of my body toned up!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    squats with lost of weight and making sure to go parallel or lower
    deadlifts
    lunges

i used to have a pancake butt (i know.. quite strange for an overweight black girl :laugh: ) but look at m, i'm drinking milk and doing my squats and getting an *kitten*.

also those exercises wont make your butt bigger, it just make it higher and rounder which makes it look bigger.. big in a good way.. you know what i mean

Woohoo! Same here. My butt has suddenly appeared. ;)

Squats (low too the ground), weights (like dead lifts), walking uphill. Oh and skaters too!

My butt was flat this time last year....and now it actually exists and people noticed. :P