Good exercise DVD that is easy on knees?

Options
I would love a good exercise DVD that doesnt involve squats or crunches and is low impact. I suffer from some type of inflammatory arthritis and it usually affects my knees. So something that does not put alot of stress on my knees would be great. I have loved the 30 day shred in the past but the squats and lunges are a no-go now.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• jezebellela
    jezebellela Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I need something easy on the knees as well. Heard about Tracy Anderson lately. Was wondering if anyone had tried it. Any thoughts?
  • sheilapie
    sheilapie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    oh, im looking for something similar... i was thinking about leslie sansone's walking dvd's.. that would be easy on our bum knees. whatcha think? i dont know about any others. i watched my teenage sons do "the rack" yesterday, and it killed my knees just watching!!! :)
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    watching this
  • heathermstrom
    Options
    There are some low-impact walking workout dvds out there. They are mostly walking in place, side-step, aerobic workouts, without all of the squats and such. Walk Away the Pounds is the one I know of. Hope that helps!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    When I had a knee injury, about the only thing I could do was the Leslie Sansone walking workouts. I recommend holding light weights while you do it to really give yourself a workout.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    oh, im looking for something similar... i was thinking about leslie sansone's walking dvd's.. that would be easy on our bum knees. whatcha think? i dont know about any others. i watched my teenage sons do "the rack" yesterday, and it killed my knees just watching!!! :)

collagevideo.com is a great place to look for DVDs .... you can plug in "low impact" for your search parameters. They tell you what equipment is needed, give video clips, and tons of reviews.

Leslie Sansone is definitely low impact - all cardio though. Look at video clips at collagevideo.com ..... there are literally dozens of these to choose from. If Leslie is not your style - Chris Freytag (Prevention) DVDs are "walking sytle" workouts.

Step aerobics is low impact (but more intense) .... start with a step at the lowest level & progress up as needed. Cathe Basic Step or Kari Anderson Go are good starters

Your local library should have DVDs .... you can try before you buy
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Also looking for one that does not require one to have rhythm. That is my downfall on a lot of them.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Pilates DVDs are low impact.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    It's not a DVD but I can advise swimming as a great workout for anyone with joint problems. The support of the water keeps all pressure off your joints. Not sure on DVD's, so even if it's not a good answer, it's a bump =)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone, walking dvds.

Swimming is also a great suggestion.
  • khallock78
    khallock78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...just walking sounds pretty boring. Do you need a treadmill to do those? Because I dont have one.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's DVD's are called Walk Away the Pounds but she has you walking in place (no treadmill needed) while moving your arms, doing sidesteps, high knees, kick ups, etc. It's not in the league of 30 DS at all but if you add hand weights and really get into it they aren't bad. I'm sure if you Google her you can watch some clips.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    my knees were bothering me when i tried to start running again (i've since given up on that...) so i bought a rebounder. It is much gentler on the knees if you want to jog in place on it or bounce around a little (although if you really go crazy on it you can still hurt your joints so be careful.) I keep mine in front of the tv and hop on every so often, it's not my main source of working out but it can't hurt to get some extra movement in while watching the tube...

also, years ago i had a rowing machine. i used to love that thing! last year i suffered a shoulder injury so i avoid things like that these days but i remember it making me huff & puff pretty good. i don;t know how sensitive your knees are, it does make you bend your knees but it is not high impact so may be a good option for you...

oh i just thought of the fitnessblender site, they have lots of variety of free routines you can check out....i think this one might work for you: http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Quiet-Cardio-Workout-Low-Impact-Apartment-Cardio-Workout/dm/
  • m31990
    m31990 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try this video http://sweatn.com/workout/VPL1pJQLS3r/exercise-tv-start-walking-at-home-2-miles-with-leslie-sansone
    If this doesn't help visit http://Sweatn.com to find other free workout videos.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I have rheumatoid arthritis and am a huuuuge fan of Richard Simmons. lol. He is high energy, low-impact and I've never had to modify any of the moves while getting a great workout.

P.S. Feel free to join the group "R.A. Ninjas"!