Eat this, not that.

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ground turkey in place of ground beef. I use it for chili and tacos.

If weight loss or eating less fat is on your mind, the turkey meat is definitely the way to go. But if you're trying to get more calcium, protein, or potassium in your diet, you'll want to choose the regular ground beef.

Surprisingly the turkey burger is higher in sodium and cholesterol, so if that's an issue, there's another reason to go for the beef. Whatever patty you decide to place in your bun, make sure you go for extra lean, and go easy on the condiments and side dishes since those can tack on tons of calories.
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Instead of syrup on whole grain waffles, try low-fat cottage cheese and fresh fruit....tastes like dessert for breakfast (or anytime)
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Butternut squash pureed makes an AWESOME pasta sauce.

I used this recipe, but you could leave out the cheese (although the amount here is minimal) and sausage if you want to make it even lower fat, and it would still taste yummy. It tastes just like a cream sauce without being a cream sauce. :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/11/pasta-with-butternut-sauce-spicy.html
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes instead of chips
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes instead of chips

Ditto! They don't leave that greasy taste in my mouth, either.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Oh, on the waffle front ... I'vedone a mix of mashed bananas, some pumpkin puree, a little bit of vanilla protein powder and a small little bit of real maple syrup and it's delicious!! Unfortunately it seems I've done this on non-tracking days so I really don't know how it adds up in calories versus regular old syrup.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I sometimes just queeze a lot of fresh lemon juice on top of a salad instead of dressing. It tastes so fresh to me.
  • FunnyGirl613
    FunnyGirl613 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What would you replace pasta with? We are a big pasta family and since the 6 weeks that I started, I have made pasta exactly once and wound up giving it away so I wouldn't eat any.

I've tried the following starch replacements, but none compare to a big ol' bowl of pasta with feta cheese, tomatoes, basil and broccoli...

- quinoa
    - kashi 7 grain pilaf
    - teff
    - wheat berries
    - sweet potato

I can't use the rice or quinoa pastas - for my blood sugar they're just as bad as the regular pasta... Ideas?
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Kale chips instead of regular chips! So good!! They're super light and delicious and easy to make. Here's a recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/ I also add just a dash of cayenne pepper.
  • TitchyBozo
    Options
    What would you replace pasta with? We are a big pasta family and since the 6 weeks that I started, I have made pasta exactly once and wound up giving it away so I wouldn't eat any.

I've tried the following starch replacements, but none compare to a big ol' bowl of pasta with feta cheese, tomatoes, basil and broccoli...

- quinoa
    - kashi 7 grain pilaf
    - teff
    - wheat berries
    - sweet potato

I can't use the rice or quinoa pastas - for my blood sugar they're just as bad as the regular pasta... Ideas?

Try zucchini/courgette sliced thinly - (you can buy a pasta slicer for this). Dry fry them with garlic etc and it's a really good alternative.
  • Jessicalg1981
    Jessicalg1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    The same with the greek yogurt, I use it in place or mayo or sour cream(most of the time). I recently started doing sliced cucumbers instead of chips. One I figure out how to make a cucumber taste exactly like a Nacho Cheese Dorito I'm gonna be set for life!

:laugh:
    I love cucumbers!! I do tuna salad on them a lot instead of eating it on bread. I get those 100 cal pouches of tuna and a baggie of cucumber slices to take to work.
    Kale chips instead of regular chips! So good!! They're super light and delicious and easy to make. Here's a recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/ I also add just a dash of cayenne pepper.

This sounds interesting!

As for eating what I've always eaten but in moderation, I'd rather just find new and healthier things to eat. It makes this whole process more fun and more of a life change than a diet. Plus, I think "moderation" is a four letter word to my husband lol.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. Words can't explain how much I love a baked potato (out of the oven) with the works. I have found that cottage cheese makes an amazing topper instead of the butter and sour cream. It is still yummie but I only use a quarter a cup of cottage cheese so it makes less calories.
    Great idea
  • lilteepot
    Options

- quinoa
    - kashi 7 grain pilaf
    - teff
    - wheat berries
    - sweet potato

Spaghetti squash. When I was on an anti-carb thing, it made my life.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Lately I find myself usin Brushetta(SP?) instead of salsa or ketchup. It is awesome in an omlette! and turkey bacon instead of regular bacon.
  • Jessicalg1981
    Options

Spaghetti squash. When I was on an anti-carb thing, it made my life.

I've read spaghetti squash can be used in place of pasta. I've never tried it or even seen the inside of one. Is it easy to work with?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    One serving instead of three.
  • midnight333
    Options
    Substitute Chia seeds for oil or eggs OR ground Flaxseed for eggs in recipes.
    Both are great sources of essential fatty acids and fiber.

CHIA INFO COPIED FROM: http://bellachicorp.com -

The chia can be sprinkled in or on top of baked goods OR mixed with water and used as partial replacement of oil in most recipes (see gel recipe below) - increase the baking time since chia retains moisture.

Cookies
    Cakes
    Breads
    Grahm Cracker Crusts
    Brownies

Use chia gel to replace eggs in recipes
    Great for Gluten Free Baking which tends to be dry. Not no more, because chia retains moisture!
    GREAT FOR THOSE WITH FOOD ALLERGIES

TO REPLACE EGGS: When mixed with water, chia seeds, high in soluble fiber, form a thick gel. Place 1 tablespoon of chia seeds in a cup and add 3 tablespoons of water. Allow the mixture to sit for about 15 minutes. 1/4 cup of hydrated chia seeds equals approximately 1 egg.

TO REPLACE OIL: Make a gel (see below) and replace oil with the chia gel. Increase baking time.

GLUTEN FREE: Add in gluten free recipes to retain moisture.
    Generally 5% is added to total recipe.
    Makes gluten free breads and bake good soft and extends shelf life.
    Use sparingly due to the fact that chia retains water and extend baking time.
    I have noticed that my gluten free bread stayed soft for a week!
    I didn't even have to toast it or microwave it to refesh it.
    I kept it in the bread box! Experiment with your favorite recipes.
    Boost nutrition and improve texture without affecting the flavor.

CHIA GEL
    Chia Gel – Mix 1/4 cup of Chia seeds into 2 cups of water (4 parts water, 1 part chia). Mix well. Let stand and mix again in 5 minutes. Keep in refrigerator in a sealed container. It will last for about 2 weeks. Add to smoothies, salad dressings, BBQ sauces or butter. It is not gritty and will not change flavor.

______________________________________________________________________________
    For the flaxseed egg I use milled flaxseed I do not grind myself. I really don't think there's a difference.

FLAXSEED EGG COPIED FROM: http://bonzaiaphrodite.com/2011/10/how-to-make-a-flax-egg-for-vegan-baking-the-right-way/

1. Begin with whole, raw flax seeds. Buying pre-ground flax is a dangerous game, as the oil is very unstable, and once released (via grinding) it will turn rancid pretty quickly. So buy your flax seeds whole and grind them yourself, to spec. It’s easy enough; you can use a coffee grinder, a hand-crank spice grinder, a mortar and pestle, or a high-speed blender. Process into a very fine powder.
    Store whole flax seeds in the refrigerator or freezer.
    2. Make egg/s. One egg equals [1 tablespoon flax meal plus 3 tablespoons water], and you do not need to make each one individually. In a small bowl, add flax meal followed by water (not water followed by flax), stirring as you go. I use a miniature whisk because it’s adorable, but a fork works just as well.
    3. Refrigerate. This is key! Place the bowl of eggs in the refrigerator for a minimum of 15 minutes, but up to an hour is best. This will allow your egg to “set up”. Don’t skip this important step!
    I always make my eggs at the start of a recipe. That way, I can get them in the fridge, and then work through the other steps while the eggs set.
    4. When the eggs come out of the fridge they’ll have formed a thick sticky goo, just the consistency of egg whites. There’s your binder! Add it to the recipe and proceed as instructed.

Super substitutes hope it helps everyone
  • lilteepot
    Options

I've read spaghetti squash can be used in place of pasta. I've never tried it or even seen the inside of one. Is it easy to work with?

Super easy. Buy it. Slice it in half lengthwise (Probably the most difficult step). Put about 1/4-1/2 inch of water in a baking dish, and place squash halves cut-side down. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes (depending on how "al dente" you like your pasta). Pull out of oven and scrape the insides with the tines of a fork. It comes out in strings like spaghetti noodles. Add your favorite pasta sauce, or eat plain.

Delicious and nutritious!

Edited note: To make slicing in half easier, you can microwave the whole thing for a minute or two to soften the outside. Makes it easier to cut through and less likely to slip with a giant carving knife and sever a hand. :)
  • Jessicalg1981
    Options

Super easy. Buy it. Slice it in half lengthwise (Probably the most difficult step). Put about 1/4-1/2 inch of water in a baking dish, and place squash halves cut-side down. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes (depending on how "al dente" you like your pasta). Pull out of oven and scrape the insides with the tines of a fork. It comes out in strings like spaghetti noodles. Add your favorite pasta sauce, or eat plain.

Delicious and nutritious!

Edited note: To make slicing in half easier, you can microwave the whole thing for a minute or two to soften the outside. Makes it easier to cut through and less likely to slip with a giant carving knife and sever a hand. :)

Thanks!!
  • minders11
    Options
    Butternut squash cut into wedges sprayed with 1 cal oil, sprinkle with chilli flakes put into a hot oven.

Replaces wedges or oven chips and tasty!

That sounds amazing. Yum.