fish oil burps

Options
i thought i had taking my fish oil down to a science...one pill after the first couple bites of food, and then the rest of my food on top of it. well lately i've been getting the burps anyway. they're gross (especially considering i HATE fish, hence the fish oil) and last for a long time. i've heard of putting them in the fridge or freezer but since i'm usually taking mine at work, i don't really have that option. any other tips?

Replies

• lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    i've always heard of this but never experienced it. maybe it has to do with the brand you're taking. i take nature's bounty fish oil and never have "fish burps"
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    They have "burp free" fish oil tabs. They have a coating that prevents it. I take them and I haven't had that problem since.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have heard of there being fish oil pills that are 'odorless' in the sense that they aren't supposed to cause fishy breath or burps. But in all honesty I have yet to find one :( They have it labelled on the bottles that they are odorless if you have a store with a large selection of brands.

Sorry, no other options I can think of!
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Look into taking Flaxseed oil instead. Worth some looking into if the burps are that bad.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have heard keeping them in the freezer can help. Carlson has lemon and orange flavored fish oils. Those are much better.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Are you just taking them for the Omegas? CAUSE I personally use something called Udo's choice oil. Its amazing, it has little to no taste. I blend it in wiTh my shakeS or put some on my salad with lemon or just take a spoonful. NO BURPS! And you can get it at any health food store! It has the perfect balance of Omegas and it's not hard to take!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Usually fish burps indicate a low quality or rancid fish oil. I had this problem until I switched to the higher end brands like Carlson and Nordic Naturals.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    They have "burp free" fish oil tabs. They have a coating that prevents it. I take them and I haven't had that problem since.
    This ^^
    They are enteric coated and don't dissolve until they are in your small intestine...problem solved.
    Mine are Norwegian Gold.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Look into taking Flaxseed oil instead. Worth some looking into if the burps are that bad.

No, flaxseed doesn't have any EPA or DHA
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    I never get burps with the gummy ones.
  • justlosingit4
    justlosingit4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the freezer. My friend's doctor told her to freeze hers and it worked--no more fish burps!
    Good luck!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    i thought i had taking my fish oil down to a science...one pill after the first couple bites of food, and then the rest of my food on top of it. well lately i've been getting the burps anyway. they're gross (especially considering i HATE fish, hence the fish oil) and last for a long time. i've heard of putting them in the fridge or freezer but since i'm usually taking mine at work, i don't really have that option. any other tips?

spring valley makes 'burpless' pills. never once have had a problem. and only one a day.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i've always heard of this but never experienced it. maybe it has to do with the brand you're taking. i take nature's bounty fish oil and never have "fish burps"

same, spen the extra .25 and get the quality stuff
  • utaharmyvet72
    Options
    I take Nature Made 1200mg 4 times daily. Never had a burp!!!
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Usually fish burps indicate a low quality or rancid fish oil. I had this problem until I switched to the higher end brands like Carlson and Nordic Naturals.

^^^ I agree with this. My nutritionist also recommends putting them in the fridge right away. If you cannot keep them refrigerated, maybe you can still keep them cool; or, take them at a different time in the day so you can keep them in the fridge.

For what it is worth, I take Natural Factors RxOmega-3 Factors and have never had a problem. I've also been advised to buy fish oil that you can see through the gel capsule - you should not be able to see any blemishes. There's probably a reason some brands put a color coat around the capsule....
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. i think that when i first bought them i bought the burp-free kind, and then when i bought them again i didn't get the same kind. i'm gonna make sure to do that in the future, and for now i'm just working it out with the fridge lol