weight loss aids... bad idea??

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP...well sort of new. I joined a while ago, and just when I was making progress, my husband and I found out I was pregnant with our second child. The pregnancy was very difficult with many complication - so needless to say: weight loss goal = out the window. Thankfully baby was born happy and healthy, and now that he's 9 months old (and I am NOT having any more kids) I can get back to work on my weight.
My question is, I have always been VERY slow at losing weight. I usually get very frustrated and give up because my progress is so slow. Someone had mentioned to me that I could take a weight loss aid (e.g.: a detox cleanser, pills etc.) to "jump start my slow system". I'm wondering if they actually work? Is it a bad idea? Are they addictive or a waist of money?
I really don't want to take something and be in the news for having a stroke from it later.
Any thoughts?
I also wouldn't mind a few friends, to help with support. My will power SUCKS! :)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are considering a weight loss aid, talk to your doctor. Use his/her counsel to decide if it's the right choice for you, and use it under care of the physician.

But at some point you will have to learn to eat at maintenance without the use of aids, so make sure that is your ultimate goal. Don't look at weight management as something that has a "Whew, I'm glad that's over" point, or you'll likely end up right back where you started.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    They won't do anything good or bad for the most part.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you are considering a weight loss aid, talk to your doctor. Use his/her counsel to decide if it's the right choice for you, and use it under care of the physician.

But at some point you will have to learn to eat at maintenance without the use of aids, so make sure that is your ultimate goal. Don't look at weight management as something that has a "Whew, I'm glad that's over" point, or you'll likely end up right back where you started.

This is good advice. If you are struggling with losing then either you aren't doing it right or you have a medical condition. Your doctor can run tests to see if there is a medical issue. I wouldn't take anything that's available over the counter. They will not work and leave you frustrated and with a lighter pocketbook.
  • Jennawants2000
    Jennawants2000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the combo of Green Tea Extract/Raspberry Ketones for about a month... I have lost about 5 pounds this month and haven't been very dilligent about what I ate - with the holidays and all. I truly don't know if they are helping or not but even if it is just the placebo effect - that is okay because if I remember to take the pills, I also remember to eat responsible. ;0). It is all a mind set, I think, and I need the extra encouragement.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Consider this: If the detox's were that great, they would be mostly available through scripts, and the doctors would prescribe them more.

I've been doing this for nearly 2 years, and haven't heard any of my doctor's or nutritionists suggest doing detox's. One of them offered diet aids to help "curb my appetite" - but the problem is, I don't eat because I'm hungry. I'm an emotional eater. Taking something to curb my appetite isn't going to help me.

It would be more worthwhile to find a counselor or therapist to help understand why you turn to food when you feel stressed or help find other ways to deal with the triggers that lead you to want to eat.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I heard raspberry ketones were great but you have to take the concentrated form, not mixed with anything else to get results. They cost a fortune!

I wondered the same thing too but I don't want that "crutch" to help me lose weight. Unless you have an underlying medical condition, going back to basics is the best way..good diet and excercise.

The word "diet" scares me. Seems to restricted and using the term loosely will just set you up for failure. Just be cognoscente of what you eat and don't beat yourself up if you mess up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    For the most part they are a waste of money and in some cases can be harmful.
  • relledge
    Options
    First thing talk to your doctor before you take any supplements. Second there is no special or magical pill. Supplements may help to lose weight but changing you diet and exercising is what will cause the weight loss. I started taking BMR Bliss/Thyro Drive to lose body fat. I love it. I feel better and have more energy. I also eat healthy and work out 4-6 times per week. This week I have lost almost 3 pounds!! It's hard to say if the supplements are doing anything but I do have more energy and feel better I think they are worth it for me but they aren't right for everyone. The most effective way to lose weight is diet and exercise changes. You can take as many supplements as you want but without a change in diet and exercise you will find it very difficult to see results.
  • aross001
    aross001 Posts: 237
    Options
    AIDS costs a lot of money!

I agree. AIDS can be effective for weight loss but there are healthier options out there.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    For the most part they are a waste of money and in some cases can be harmful.

This.

We're such fans of instant gratification that we lose sight of taking pride in putting in hard work and determination and achieving something from that. Slow and steady. Have patience.
  • johnsher85
    johnsher85 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a very good friend who tried some of those miracle weight loss things and cost her all but her life. She has had numerous heart surgeries since, attributed to the "Miracle Pill".

My advice is STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT PROMISES QUICK RESULTS WITH LITTLE OR NO EFFORT!!!!!!!

Proper nutrition, proper diet, regular exercise and a commitment to make it a life change ALWAYS works!!! Don't neglect a good balance of these three and you'll avoid the ups and downs of dieting.

There really are some very good "helps" out there, but a consistent daily routine will do more good for your body than any pill, cleanse or detox. Quick fixes may cause more problems than you wish to deal with.

Hope all goes well with your weight loss goals!!
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am curious as to whether or not anyone anywhere has ever lost weight on diet pills and actually kept it off once they got off the pills. I fiddled around with them thinking they were magic for about 10 years and ended up actually gaining about 30 lbs over that decade as I would balloon way past where I started when I got off the pills. Not to mention they made me feel crazy and out of control of my life. I went on a controlled eating plan in 2010 and lost 70 lbs and have kept it off ever since. The plan was Medifast. The secret for me was to cut way down on carbs. I wish you all the best and hope you decide against pills. They're evil--just ask Neely O'Hara:happy:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I heard raspberry ketones were great but you have to take the concentrated form, not mixed with anything else to get results. They cost a fortune!

It's a scam, darling; the proven way to lose weight is calories in vs. calories out. No magic food or pill will facilitate weight loss, and a huge red flag to "scam" should come from the "it costs a fortune!"
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I really wish there was a forum category called, "Yes, Weight Loss Aids Are A Bad Idea", so that these threads would stop appearing... Or they could just call the category "Stop Watching Dr. Oz"
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    AIDS costs a lot of money!

Win!
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I'm using Raspberry Ketones, along with diet and working out 5 to 6 days a week. I purchase them on them over the net. They cost me about $15 a month.

4526527.png[/url]
    JbWzm5.png[/url]
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It's a scam, darling; the proven way to lose weight is calories in vs. calories out. No magic food or pill will facilitate weight loss, and a huge red flag to "scam" should come from the "it costs a fortune!"

Well there are pills that will but have their own side effects you have to worry about
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to MFP...well sort of new. I joined a while ago, and just when I was making progress, my husband and I found out I was pregnant with our second child. The pregnancy was very difficult with many complication - so needless to say: weight loss goal = out the window. Thankfully baby was born happy and healthy, and now that he's 9 months old (and I am NOT having any more kids) I can get back to work on my weight.
    My question is, I have always been VERY slow at losing weight. I usually get very frustrated and give up because my progress is so slow. Someone had mentioned to me that I could take a weight loss aid (e.g.: a detox cleanser, pills etc.) to "jump start my slow system". I'm wondering if they actually work? Is it a bad idea? Are they addictive or a waist of money?
    I really don't want to take something and be in the news for having a stroke from it later.
    Any thoughts?
    I also wouldn't mind a few friends, to help with support. My will power SUCKS! :)

What do you mean by slow, slow in that you have an unrealistic idea of what is possible/ normal or slow in that you may have an undiagnosed metabolic issue? You should not be aiming for more than one to two pounds loss a week, the higher if you have a lot of weight to lose, even down to half a pound if you are on the last few pounds.

Best weight loss aid is a balanced diet and intense exercise IMO, they certainly have the more research than most diet pills. Nutrients like calcium from dairy and long chain omega-3s from oily fish have been linked to lower fat mass for example. There are a few supplements that are proven to have some effect - expect perhaps an 80 calorie a day boost from standardised green tea extract, it's really not much. By 'detox cleanser' I assume you mean a laxative or diuretic, they will help you lose weight perhaps but not bodyfat'.

Make it easier on yourself, don't put yourself in tempting and triggering situations. Don't keep junk food in the house, don't go to the store on an empty stomach and always have a list, don't carry cash you don't absolutely NEED, don't walk past that vending machine or drive past that fast food place, don't make whatever mistakes you make every other time, don't let negative life events stop you being healthy these are unavoidable so plan for the unexpected IYSWIM. This is the sort of stuff that works for people who quit smoking.

Concentrate on what you can and should eat not what you cannot or should not, count number of servings of things like low sugar fruit, non starchy veggies, reduced fat dairy, oily fish and fibre/ mineral rich foods and be sure you are getting enough of everything. Weight loss is short term, healthy eating is for life and for the benefit of all your family - set an example for your little one, give them habits that will stay with them a lifetime. That should be enjoying healthy meals not starting another crash diet every Monday.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your best weight loss aid is a gym membership. They cost about the same or less and will do your body good and not harm. Understand that I am not one of those guys that rejoices in being a jerk about things such as this and I am not intending this as a sarcastic statement at all. The gym membership, if it is at a quality gym that will provide support will give you a lot of support. Many will even offer nutritional counseling and hopefully, if you find a family gym that does not cater to all the jock-type super-macho types, you can find support and a family of folks that will encourage you in your journey rather than make you feel less than you are because you don't yet look like a super-woman or something.

Most of the diet aids out there operate through either stimulants (caffeine being a major one) or through some type of altering the fat absorption process or some combination of the two. If you want caffeine, coffee is cheaper and just as potent -- though you may have to drink several cups to equal the dosage... just don't over do it, caffeine can affect the heart as one parent found out recently when their child ODed on energy drinks and died. As far as fat absorption methods, at the least you will find yourself in the bathroom a lot (if you want this, eat plenty of fiber) and at the worst it can affect the liver. At least one major weight loss company has lost a class action lawsuit for the untimely deaths associated with liver problems causing death of those using their product... the product, by the way is back on the market in another form.

The best way is simply ... diet and exercise. The component many of us are missing is the exercise component. Don't focus just on cardio but also on strength training as well. Realize though that your scale will not move as fast with strength training BUT your inches will move faster. Eat a well balanced diet in moderation.. Plenty of fiber, carbs, and protein. Fats are also necessary because some of your vitamins such as A and E are oil soluables so you need some. Try to make sure your carbs (needed for energy) are not the processed types such as sugars and chips but rather the type you get in whole foods such as potatoes and corn. Whole foods are better than processed but most of us also eat processed foods as well.

The main thing is to develop a plan and stick with it even when the going gets tough. See your doctor first as with any weight loss or fitness endeavour and see what they have to say. (I bet it is similar to what I have written). Then COMMIT to it. The best tool in the world is worthless in the hands of someone who either lacks the knowledge, skill or willingness to use it. Decide NOW and forever that (Forgive the phrase if you will) come "Hell or High Water" you are going to do this... and you are doing it for YOU .. not anybody else. You can do this and I wish you the greatest success on your journey!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Well there are pills that will but have their own side effects you have to worry about

^^ This is true!

There are a lot of fun ways to drop weight fast, pills or crystalline substances, or expensive powders, but they come with a big price tag as well as some nasty side effects. :laugh: