exercises for a gimp?

Options
HELP! So I am looking into getting back into the gym but I have had some serious breaks and tears in bones and tissue. I have recently had 3 surgeries on my elbow and have very limited ROM in that arm now. I also have a torn ACL in my knee and a torn rotator cuff in my shoulder. I have had compression fractures and bludging discs in my back. I am 22 years old and and REALLY want to get back in shape but I dont know what exercises i can do that are not to hard on my 90 yr old body!! lol any suggestions?? :smile:

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    SWIM!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    With all those bodily injuries, the only safe way to exercise is to do so under the supervision of a doctor or physical therapist. Ask THEM what you can/should do. I had to deal with some injuries (much less than yours) while trying to exercise and was given a work-out plan by my PT. Hope this helps!
  • emilyr90
    Options
    Thanks!! I have done PT and OT for 5 day a week for about a year i am just soo bored and tired of it lol and ready for a change and some what of a challenge!
  • Blastastic
    Blastastic Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    latex suit, latex mask with zipper, ball gag and a steamer trunk.....

that's ALL you need.
    bizarre-latex-chick_sm.gif
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I think you'd better talk to your physiotherapist. He or she would know best as to what you're capable of and what won't cause further damage. Best of luck! I would say that if you can find a Tai Chi club or class around that may help a lot, very low impact, and easy on joints and tissue, increases blood flow etc.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

that's ALL you need.
    :laugh: :laugh:

OP - are you in physical therapy for any of these problems? Sounds like you should be.... I'd recommend swimming, but definitely find out from a doctor what they recommend so you don't cause additional injuries.
  • ynsurf
    ynsurf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Swimming is good, but you can also do a modified aqua aerobics. I would consult a doctor and physical therapist before starting any of this though.
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I would agree, swimming, and direction from a physical therapist.
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    With all those bodily injuries, the only safe way to exercise is to do so under the supervision of a doctor or physical therapist. Ask THEM what d do. I had to deal with some injuries (much less than yours) while trying to exercise and was given a work-out plan by my PT. Hope this helps!

I so agree! I just had knee surgery on November 14 and I had to modify everything for nearly a year before that. Your medical provider can steer you in the right direction. Best wishes for your success and for a full recovery!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is that you consult with your orthopedic doctor or surgeon, and/or PT before you engage in any hard physical activity. It seems that you have some impediments and you don't want to make your situation worse.

If you can walk or swim without problems, or even work in a stationary bike, then that would be a good start., Some fitness center offer chair yoga which is a good exercise for people with limited ROM.

Good job for losing 20 lbs and trying to get back into fitness. I wish you the best.:flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with the swimming. Aquasize is supposed to be easy on the joints and muscles, yet effective. I like the tai chi idea too because it's low impact, and crazy for core muscles (i've tried it, it might look slow and steady, but it's an incredible workout)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

that's ALL you need.

Never was there a more perfect gif.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

that's ALL you need.

Never was there a more perfect gif.

True Story. :love:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

that's ALL you need.

friend request sent