Turkey tacos?

Options
Has anyone ever made tacos with ground turkey instead of beef? Does it still taste good? Did you do anything different to it to affect taste?

Replies

• Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Only kind of tacos we have made now for years. We go a little heavy on the seasoning and add a little water to keep it wet and make up for the lack of grease.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of ground turkey, then it will still taste good.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    e19dd820-8b92-4f97-a432-2a6fadd87d0a.jpg
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

om nom nom
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    They are delicious. I brown the meat just like beef, add my homemade seasoning (premade is too salty), and voila.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love turkey tacos! I just started using more turkey in my dishes instead of ground beef. But (so far) I've only used it in tacos and chili. I'm afraid to use just turkey for meatballs or meatloaf, mostly because I'm afraid my husband will notice the difference.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

haha!!!
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer ground turkey to ground beef now - I think I like the texture better. I use it in tacos, chili, spaghetti, burgers, etc and it's all delicious!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    We only use ground turkey in this house for things that typically call for ground beef. I feel, like most "healthier" things that there is a small sacrifice but the reward is way worth it. I also found that if I put the turkey in the food processor for a few pulses to grind it finer, it tastes better. I do this for people that typically do not eat ground turkey that are eating at my house. So to start out, if you have larger chunks of ground turkey, that is an option while transitioning from beef to poultry.
  • canadian_bacon
    Options
    They are delicious. I brown the meat just like beef, add my homemade seasoning (premade is too salty), and voila.

What is your homeade seasoning? (If you're willing to share, you don't have to.)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Home made seasoning for me is garlic, onion, what ever chili pepper I have on hand, some cumin and crushed red pepper. I have also used salsa before and still do when I am doing something like using a rotisserie chicken to make tacos or taco salad.

CRAP, now I want tacos.

And I would also like to recommend Ole Extreme Wellness Tortillas. They are 74 calories each and very good!
  • canadian_bacon
    Options
    Thanks! I tried turkey tonight and it was really good. And the best part is my picky boyfriend didn't even notice! Haha.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options
    Thanks! I tried turkey tonight and it was really good. And the best part is my picky boyfriend didn't even notice! Haha.

:wink:

Its amazing at how that happens. I have a healthy cooking page on facebook, if you are interested in looking at it, you can see the link on my profile page. I have a picky husband and love food, so it is important to me that it be healthy and taste good too. Check it out.
  • asdjlo
    asdjlo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree. We have switched to ground turkey from all meal we would use ground beef previously and I love the taste and texture of the ground turkey. I also feel as if I don't have to season the ground turkey as heavily as I have seasoned the ground beef.
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    We only use ground turkey and we love it. We use the 7% fat Ground Turkey. Jennie-O also makes an italian seasoned groudn turkey that we cook up and throw in our spaghetti sauce it is delicious (a little high in sodium, but not bad if you balance your day out) I don't like the taco flavored one, we make our own using regular ground turkey and the mccormick's taco seasoning.
  • kelleyannclemons
    kelleyannclemons Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To keep the hubby happy (because BEEF tacos are his favorite), we half and half it. We use 1 lb 93/7 ground turkey and 1 lb 85/15 ground beef. I always both drain and rinse the meat after cooking. After homemade seasoning (agree with earlier post about the pre packaged being too salty), he can't tell the difference. SO GOOD!

...and yes, two lbs meat for 2 people. You can NEVER have too many tacos. This lasts us 4 days worth of dinners and some lunches.
  • gail4721
    gail4721 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try it and then adjust the seasonings for your particular taste. If you dont tell anyone it's turkey, they most likely will not know. They do taste really good.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I almost always use ground turkey for everything that I would have used ground beef for. I also use the taco seasoning that contains less sodium.

Also try non-fat plain greek yogurt rather sour cream with your tacos. Its a delicious and healthy alternative.