Candida ?

Options
Ok so i have this problem,Candida, i have a diet sheet to stick to, but it's hard, really hard.
I have to put a ban on all sugar for now, even fructose. I mean i can't eat fruit ?

Can anyone help me and suggest some decent foods that i can eat that are not on this very basic list that i have.Someone facing the same challenge would be a great help to me.

I feel very disheartened starting a new healthy lifestyle plan, and being told i can't have any sugar. I will keep my positive attitude though, i have to do this or my weight will fluctuate the way it always has.

Replies

• sarahspeace
    Options
    yes i have had candida & the candida feeds off of sugar. so as long as u keep eating sugar, u keep feeding the candida. in order to get rid of the candida, u have to starve it by not eating sugar. then eventually u can eat natural sugar again (such as fructose in fruits), but u will definitely want to stay away from high fructose corn syrup, as it could cause the candida to get out of control again. once u get rid of the candida, u won't crave sugar anymore anyway. i found the books, "The Yeast Connection Handbook" & "The Body Ecology Diet" to be very helpful. message me if u want more info! good luck!
  • siobhannestor
    Options
    I struggled with this a number of years ago. I found it difficult but not at all impossible to follow the diet. The more I got used to eating this way, the easier it became and I eventually lost my taste for sweets. Ate lots of whole grains (in their whole form, not as flour - try your nearest health food store - if you can find it, I love Teff - teeny grain, lots of protein and fiber, only 20 minutes to cook because it's so small, great for breakfast), lots of vegetables, lots of healthy fats, lots of lean protein. Legumes (except peas, which are high in starch) are also good - lentils cook quickly. For me, the hardest thing about eating this way is that it takes time - particularly cooking the whole grains. But it can be worth it. BTW, don't be surprised if you feel worse during the first week or so as the yeast are dying off, it can make you feel lethargic, nauseous, etc. After that period, you will feel much, much better. Since you seemed to be interested, here's a sample day...

Breakfast = cup of steamed teff sprinkled with walnuts & 1.5 cups steamed broccoli tossed with small amount of butter
    Lunch = large salad with lots of greens & chopped veggies like cucumber, celery, etc, avocado, broiled chicken breast, home made salad dressing with lemon juice and olive oil
    Snack = lentil and vegetable soup (organic or home made)
    Dinner = home cooked beans or brown rice, steamed asparagus, small salad dressed with olive oil, broiled fish

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Oh, and exercise also helps - oxygen kills off the yeast...
  • Fiona2012
    Options
    yes i have had candida & the candida feeds off of sugar. so as long as u keep eating sugar, u keep feeding the candida. in order to get rid of the candida, u have to starve it by not eating sugar. then eventually u can eat natural sugar again (such as fructose in fruits), but u will definitely want to stay away from high fructose corn syrup, as it could cause the candida to get out of control again. once u get rid of the candida, u won't crave sugar anymore anyway. i found the books, "The Yeast Connection Handbook" & "The Body Ecology Diet" to be very helpful. message me if u want more info! good luck!

Thank you sarah, i will definitely check out those books !
  • Fiona2012
    Options
    I struggled with this a number of years ago. I found it difficult but not at all impossible to follow the diet. The more I got used to eating this way, the easier it became and I eventually lost my taste for sweets. Ate lots of whole grains (in their whole form, not as flour - try your nearest health food store - if you can find it, I love Teff - teeny grain, lots of protein and fiber, only 20 minutes to cook because it's so small, great for breakfast), lots of vegetables, lots of healthy fats, lots of lean protein. Legumes (except peas, which are high in starch) are also good - lentils cook quickly. For me, the hardest thing about eating this way is that it takes time - particularly cooking the whole grains. But it can be worth it. BTW, don't be surprised if you feel worse during the first week or so as the yeast are dying off, it can make you feel lethargic, nauseous, etc. After that period, you will feel much, much better. Since you seemed to be interested, here's a sample day...

Breakfast = cup of steamed teff sprinkled with walnuts & 1.5 cups steamed broccoli tossed with small amount of butter
    Lunch = large salad with lots of greens & chopped veggies like cucumber, celery, etc, avocado, broiled chicken breast, home made salad dressing with lemon juice and olive oil
    Snack = lentil and vegetable soup (organic or home made)
    Dinner = home cooked beans or brown rice, steamed asparagus, small salad dressed with olive oil, broiled fish

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Oh, and exercise also helps - oxygen kills off the yeast...

Thats great, i will try the diet you posted. It helps that i love vegetables, fish and chicken. I have no problem eating the healthy food, but i think its so hard staying off every type of sugar.
    I feel a bit lethargic already, i will keep going, i think i crave sugar so badly because of my yeast problem and if i want it gone for good there is only one way.

Do you take any supplements or are they bad when trying to starve the yeast ?

Fiona x
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this, I have been struggling with candida for nearly a year and can feel now that I've finally got balance back into my intestines (not the easiest feat as I was living in the bush, literally until about 4 months ago). I would suggest eating as clean as possible and take a healthy dose of probiotics daily. I'm not sure if you are taking any supplements/vitamins but if so beware of the yeast extract that most items contain. Also if you are on any daily meds or esp. have to take anything w/antibiotic properties make sure that you speak to your Doc. and let him know what was going on (when I was leaving Africa I had some routine tests run, but unfortunately I had to take another dose of Cipro, which was the culprit in the first place). I would say just try and be hypersensitive to what your body is telling you and remember that restoring the balance is a long process.
  • salyha01
    salyha01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oh, one last quick thought- make sure that you are really reading the labels on EVERYTHING. Yeast extract is a very common filler in foods and spices and something that you definitely want to stay away from.
  • siobhannestor
    Options

Thats great, i will try the diet you posted. It helps that i love vegetables, fish and chicken. I have no problem eating the healthy food, but i think its so hard staying off every type of sugar.
    I feel a bit lethargic already, i will keep going, i think i crave sugar so badly because of my yeast problem and if i want it gone for good there is only one way.

Do you take any supplements or are they bad when trying to starve the yeast ?

Fiona x

Fiona, how is it going? Haven't logged in for a while. Regarding supplements, evening of primrose oil, a good multi-vitamin, 3000 iu vitamin D (I know it sounds like a lot but most of us are deficient, start with 2000 IU daily), calcium complex. To help with yeast die-off, still used years after I got my intestines back in balance, grapefruit seed extract and one clove of raw garlic, minced and added to a small glass of water. It sounds awful, but I swear by it - I now crave it when I go on vacation and don't have it. Also, for cooking, cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. (It's got saturated fat but it's actually good for you and can help you lose weight. It's the hydrogenated form that's given coconut oil all of the bad press.)

And ditto salyha01 about the east extract...