Failed my first day calorie counting....

Options
I am supposed to be consuming 1200 calories a day according to this site in order to acheive my goal, I haven't exactly pigged out or anything and I've consumed about 1800 calories unknowingly. It just goes to show how many empty calories I have been mindlessly consuming and this is where this site can help. I can't give up....I just have to look where I went wrong and tomorrow is another day! Or at least I hope so! Anybody else had similar experiences starting out?

Julie

Replies

• yobeme
    yobeme Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used my first couple of weeks as an education as I had never tracked calories before. It was eye-opening to see what I was really eating and identifying which foods were really high in calories. I could then identify a set a of regular meals which I knew would keep me within my calorie goal and satisfy me.
    MFP set me at 1200 as well but I found myself really hungry and upped my calorie goal to 1300 which was doable for me.
    Spend some time finding out what works for you.
  • julietcrooks
    Options
    Thank you,

I'm hoping that a week or so of actually tracking what goes in my mouth will help me drop a few once I find out what works for me! Also, I'm not very well at the moment and have been unable to walk for a few weeks so I'll get back into that when I'm better and think about digging out the good old fitness dvd's too - I don't think you get as good results by dieting alone.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Just to give you some more options, 1200 is usually low for anyone that's not short and not sedentary. If you have less then 50 pounds to lose, maybe you should set your weight loss to 1 pound or 1/2 pound a week. This will give you more calories to work with. I know we all want the weight to come off fast, but it's just not that easy. Also, if you're using MFP default settings, don't forget to eat your exercise calories.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    The good thing is your tried. Keep logging.
  • longfamily1
    longfamily1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to tracking as well. I notice you have lost a good amount of weight.. tracking/logging works for you?
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    Starting MFP definitely changed the way I grocery shopped and cooked. Whenever I go over my calories, it seems to be from snacking too much. What I found helps for me is to type in all of my main meals in the morning before I actually eat any of them, then I have an idea of how many calories I have left over for snacks throughout the day. You can add me as a friend and I'll try to shoot some extra motivation your way! Don't give up :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Just to give you some more options, 1200 is usually low for anyone that's not short and not sedentary. If you have less then 50 pounds to lose, maybe you should set your weight loss to 1 pound or 1/2 pound a week. This will give you more calories to work with. I know we all want the weight to come off fast, but it's just not that easy.

Agreed.

Also, the point is, you logged it. Keep trying to hit your target but don't be surprised if you need a couple weeks to find your groove. By logging you are opening your eyes to the trouble spots, which is a great first step. So keep it up!!
  • yobeme
    yobeme Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with keep logging. Don't consider 1 or 2 days of being over a failure. Learn and do better tomorrow.
  • julietcrooks
    Options
    Thanks for the support guys....I've only got about 12 pounds to lose so I've changed my weight loss goal to 1 and a half pounds per week which has upped my calories to 1370 which is more realistic.....especially if I am going to be adding exercise into the mix too. I'll see if I can stick to 1370 tomorrow! No quitting! lol
  • dporter1183
    dporter1183 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Did you work out? If you did, you earned some of that 600 calorie overage back.

I went through the same thing. It was hard for me to look at the numbers before I consumed for a while. I had to adjust.

At least you learned from it. Way to go.
  • DriaD84
    Options
    my first day i "thought" i came in a few calories under my target until i realized i was eating 3 times the amount of cereal i posted because i wasn't measuring food out. This site helps because it shows you how something simple like whole milk versus 2% can save you calories you can use toward something else and just start making better food choices.
  • vickilm1976
    vickilm1976 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I usually log all of my food first thing in the morning, then I know what I can have and I think more about when I eat so I can spread it out over the whole day. Not to say that I don't go over, it has certainly happened before. Especially over the holidays.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Also, the point is, you logged it. Keep trying to hit your target but don't be surprised if you need a couple weeks to find your groove. By logging you are opening your eyes to the trouble spots, which is a great first step. So keep it up!!

^^
    This

It lets you realise what calories you are really consuming and the more you use it the more you see what you get as bang for your buck - you really haven't failed, you have just taken the first steps towards healthier eating :)
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I first joined this site a year ago I used my first few days as an eye opener. I would log everything I ate, but ate as normal to show myself how bad my habits were and how unhealthy I was. I was consuming 2200-3000 calories a day and I was completely shocked. Try to remember that your starting out and your bound to have a struggle here and there, but the important thing is that your trying and your making a change that is going to benefit you for the rest of your life. Your right, tomorrow is another day so try to learn from your mistakes and go from there. =)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    my first day i "thought" i came in a few calories under my target until i realized i was eating 3 times the amount of cereal i posted because i wasn't measuring food out. This site helps because it shows you how something simple like whole milk versus 2% can save you calories you can use toward something else and just start making better food choices.

Very important thing pointed out here. Most people have no clue what an actual serving size is because everything is supersized these days. Just getting familiar with what foods have how many calories is half the learning.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    That's not failure, that's a lesson!

Also, with so few pounds to lose you'd be better off aiming for 1 or even 0.5 pound per week.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was kind of the opposite. Over consuming can be just as bad as under consuming! I was under and have been since I started on the 2nd. My mindset was saving my calories. Hoarding if you will, so that I knew I always had enough! Just take it slow. It is SUCH a learning process!
  • shellbellnz
    shellbellnz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes I used to always go over. I just had no understanding of calories and food and what was good and bad really. This site has really educated me and I know think twice about what I eat.
  • nikknack12
    nikknack12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same here for me, I started using MFP this week. I'm still flailing, trying to figure out exactly how all this works. I have a better idea now after a couple days of reading the posts of others and making a few friends who've been kind enough to offer advice. I will also add that I've been a bit overwhelmed with all the different numbers: BMR, TDEE, exercise calories burned and whether one should eat them or not (a topic for a different post!) and if I'm eating the correct amount of calories. I'm still trying to figure out whether I'm sedentary or not. MFP ask what our daily activity is, what we do at work all day long - I sit at a computer, which I consider sedentary. However, I've been told that I should not put sedentary. I've decided to leave it as it is, see how everything goes for a couple weeks, and then adjust if needed. Like everything else, there's going to be a learning curve. Stick with it, I plan to, and good luck to you!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    log it BEFORE you put it in your mouth

amazing how this helps stop the mindless eating and hoping