Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Need help staying on course with weight lifting

Every year I start out doing weight training, mostly machines, but after 6 weeks, I quit and go back to more cardio.

My legs are in pretty good shape from spinning and walking, but my upper body , not so much .

Not trying to look like Mr. America, but don't want to look like Gilligan either.

any suggestions ?

and could always use more friends for support

Mark

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Why machines? Why not free weights? Just curious.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Free weights, free weight, free weights!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Every year I start out doing weight training, mostly machines, but after 6 weeks, I quit and go back to more cardio.

My legs are in pretty good shape from spinning and walking, but my upper body , not so much .

Not trying to look like Mr. America, but don't want to look like Gilligan either.

any suggestions ?

and could always use more friends for support

Mark

I think you just need to want it bad enough. I want to be strong BAD...so I go to the gym and I lift 4x a week. Even when I had an injury and could not do much, I still went in ( on crutches) and did what I could do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,888 Member
    The desire has to come from you. Once that's set, you'll stay on course.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • you need to step up your game. machines are good for beginners that struggle with stability issues. you aint gettin no gains cuz your not challenging your body. find the courage to lift those dumbbells and barbells. you will definitely get see a big change in your physique. if you need some advice on weight lifting ill be happy to help you
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    set up a specific routine. Read New Rules of Lifting, print out the stages and get at 'er! You just need structure and a goal in mind.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Get a proper program.

Know what you're doing before you set foot in the door.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    I think picking a free weight program helps a lot of people. It is structured and you can see results quicker without all the wandering from machine to machine.

Stronglifts 5x5 is free. Download it and start right away. In 6 weeks I bet you will see some much better results than you have in the past. Seeing results helps a lot with motivation.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Can I get a "Free Weights!"?

like someone else said New Rules of Lifting will teach you about free weights and what not. :) go forth grasshopper!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Free weights, free weight, free weights!

I'm willing to bet your desire and dedication wander because your results are...disappointing.

Free weights can change that.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Hey there! If you're interested in learning about lifting give me a holler!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    The desire has to come from you. Once that's set, you'll stay on course.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Desire & stay on course you will.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxKX-iu0uOgjQxGIFC3vbrRDJIZvkkY0E24mjGuQRGPMZDJr87
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    or just take a look at what I posted on this thread (yes, it says women, but my routine I posted is not gender specific):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/837026-women-tell-me-your-weight-lifting-routine
  • smardie
    smardie Posts: 27
    The machines are easy and you can just do the " circuit " .

I did get that book, the new rules of lifting , last Fall , and read it, but it has been my gathering dust since.

Will take it off the shelf and try it out .

Is it more important to do more reps vs more weight ?

Thanks for your help
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    The machines are easy and you can just do the " circuit " .

I did get that book, the new rules of lifting , last Fall , and read it, but it has been my gathering dust since.

Will take it off the shelf and try it out .

Is it more important to do more reps vs more weight ?

Thanks for your help

The program you pick should tell you this. You do the most amount of weight you can, within the prescribed rep range, while maintaining proper safe form.